What Are You Listening To? Part 2

Started by e_voyager, October 19, 2006, 08:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareeku

Tapewolf

Dream Theater - Images and Words (album)

..it sounds like Threshold..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

KarlOmega1

Bye Bye Bye- 'N Sync

(only one of the couple of 'N Sync songs I'll listen to)
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

xHaZxMaTx

Muse / Absolution / Butterflies and Hurricanes

Tapewolf

Question: is "Pull Me Under" (Dream Theater/Images And Words LP) supposed to just break or have I got a bad pressing of the disk?

All life is future to past
Every breath leaves me one less to my last

..an interesting song to listen to as I write about Devin's death on the wiki...

bill

Pull Me Under just breaks like that. Great choice of LPs, by the way. Enjoy "Under a Glass Moon"

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico - Heroin

vulpesweasel

From First To Last---Heroine---"Mothersound"

RushFox

Devo- Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy (Heh, one of my older songs on this computer ended up in my playlist. And this song is still awesome! :boogie)

P.S- Images and Words... That album introduced me to Dream Theater way back in 04. I love every song on this album, especially Under A Glass Moon (Good call, Bill) and Metropolis: Part I. By the way, Tapewolf, you mentioned that this is similar to Threshold, a band I haven't heard of yet. What are they like?  :eager

xHaZxMaTx

Muse / Origin of Symmetry / New Born

I've been listening to this album all day.  I think it's gaining ranks on The Information and the Eraser.

Kasarn

bill

Tapewolf

Quote from: RushFox on January 02, 2007, 11:27:10 PM
By the way, Tapewolf, you mentioned that this is similar to Threshold, a band I haven't heard of yet. What are they like?  :eager

They're a UK prog-metal band with about six albums.  I only have two of these, "Psychedelicatessen" and "Critical Mass" but they're both very good.  Threshold have a tendency to write whinging songs though, such as the horrifying war song "Intervention" which put me off them for a few years but is actually very good.

Most of Psychedelicatessen is excellent, but my favourites are "Into The Light", "Tension of Souls" and "Devoted".  The inside cover is hilarious in a warped kind of way.

Critical Mass has some good stuff as well, my favourites being "Phenomenon", "Choices" and "Fragmented" (which has a very, very strange bit in the middle - you will NEED the lyrics for that one).

I did have an audio clip from the reprise on I.T.L. for the lyrics game, but it's gone now.  I'll see what I can do.

Quote from: BillBuckner on January 03, 2007, 06:46:56 AM
Genesis - Foxtrot - Time Table

"A carved oak table tells a tale that ain't no jive
'bout when brothas drank from goblets of colt 45"
--from rec.music.progressive, upon hearing that a gangsta rap group had decided to call themselves "Genesis"

I now have Origin of Symmetry, but I'm still listening to Images and Words by Dream Theater.  Got them at Christmas but didn't want it to interfere with the recording of Operation Wendigo...

Kasarn

Gareeku

llearch n'n'daCorna

Concerto For Flute and Orchestra - Allegro Molto
From The Magic Of The Flute

not sure who it's by, though. The tags are missing on this file....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kasarn

RushFox

Various Music Samples(Amazon)- Threshold

Yeah, this stuff is very Images and Words-esque, but Dream Theater gets heavier after this release. Avoid Falling Into Infinity until you are sure you like the band. I like that particular album, but it is not really representative of what Dream Theater can do. I'll PM you later on this subject. ;)

bill

I kinda wanted to get FII, since I heard that Hell's Kitchen and Trial of Tears were absolute classics.

xHaZxMaTx

RushFox

Quote from: BillBuckner on January 03, 2007, 08:50:16 PM
I kinda wanted to get FII, since I heard that Hell's Kitchen and Trial of Tears were absolute classics.

Rush- Time Stand Still (Counterparts Tour Bootleg "Majestic Symphonies"- I LOVE this!  :boogie)

Falling Into Infinity is a great album, but it's kinda like the Hold Your Fire of DT history, if you get what I mean. Awesome after multiple listens, just don't expect any of the "theatrics" the band is known for. SFAM and SDoIT fit those roles better IMO.

Trial of Tears starts off Xanadu-like then goes into a mid-tempo Prog-Fest  that takes getting used to, but is one of my favorites. You Not Me sucks though, but it's the only stinker on this otherwise awesome album. Hell's Kitchen is great lead into Lines In The Sand, which is both funky and tackles some hard subjects at the same time.

bill

Six Degrees is by far my fave, though some DT fans seem not to like it as much as SFAM. I also need to get Awake, heard it was good.

Tapewolf

vulpesweasel

Tsunami Bomb---The Definitive Act---"Safety Song"

Gareeku

"Martial Symphony Opus 5" - Tekken 5 soundtrack

bill

RushFox

Rush- Closer To The Heart (Counterparts Tour "Majestic Symphonies")

Score is probably the best live output showcasing the Prog side of Dream Theater, Awake is another great album.

Haven't heard of Mastadon, though.

P.S. - This Rush bootleg is really awesome. I wish I could find a way to share this with the rest of you guys...

EDIT: A video bootleg of songs from the concert, courtesy of Youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG0ga6ePcRc Double Agent (Counterparts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIwe6cZzBw The Spirit Of Radio (Permanent Waves)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AWYmiUlQOs The Analog Kid (Signals)

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: BillBuckner on January 04, 2007, 09:52:05 PM

When I first glanced at this, I thought it said 'Soccer Mom'. :giggle

Muse / Absolution / Endlessly

Gareeku

"Make this go on forever" - Snow Patrol

bill

I'm a bit "Meh" on Score so far. The songs are preformed perfectly, but too faithfully to the studio versions. LaBrie sounds great, though, and the live preformances of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Octavarium are stellar.

Tapewolf