2006-12-18 Why, Destania?

Started by superluser, December 17, 2006, 11:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farinata

Quote from: superluser on December 18, 2006, 02:38:41 PM
In the Dune series, the Bene Gesserit can see into the future, but there is a place that they cannot look--the place where only the one called the Kwisatz Haderach may go.  The Kwisatz Haderach has no blind spots in prescience.

You have no idea how much I am having to restrain myself from starting a debate with you about this point (i.e. I disagree with your analysis of the Bene Gesserit and the Kwisatz Haderach), but it's really not appropriate for this topic.

Any speculation aside, I was (like everyone else) totally surprised! It's so nice when you can't see where the story is going to go!  :3 I hope Wildy leaves enough of Biggs for a nice funeral.

Magic

Bravo, dearest Amber.

You've piqued my interest in the matter, I must say. Both of them, and their plans are of significant interest to me. Me, of all people, as you say.

* The fox-doctor smirks.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Stygian

...and I guess that's about the time one should start worrying. Still, I fail to see why Biggs should play any greater part in the good doctor's plans. Destania is all good and well, but Biggs is simply one whose power is... well, let's say unpredictable.

Kwisatz Haderach is originally a hebrew word, which means "jump of the path", and implies the ability to travel instantaneously from one place or point to another. It implies many other things too, and has many connections to short cuts and "jumps" made by holy men from and to different locations in accounts of history. In Dune, it is the name for the male counterpart to the Bene Gesserit Matres, a man whose power to see and "wierd" space-time and probability is even greater than their own, or rather, absolute.

Also, is it just me, or does everything Ink say become something original?

Caswin

I recently finished watching most of the Gargoyles series.  Xanatos is one of my favorite villains ever - among other things, for his sheer mastermindery and foresight.  I like that in a villain.

Well, a hero, too, but not many of them display that kind of ability.  Except maybe Question.

Anyway, Biggs gets a seat next to Emperor Palpatine and the bad guy from Speed.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Kenji

Quote from: Caswin on December 18, 2006, 07:00:20 PM
I recently finished watching most of the Gargoyles series.  Xanatos is one of my favorite villains ever - among other things, for his sheer mastermindery and foresight.  I like that in a villain.

Well, a hero, too, but not many of them display that kind of ability.  Except maybe Question.

That and he was so awesome that Disney actually let him cuss. D: ....Well, at least once.

Aleolus

Ah, now I get it.  Destania wanted to catch up with her daughter, so convinced her boss to kidnap her and set the whole thing up!  All I wonder now is, what method did Destania use to "convince" Biggs to do it?   :mwaha :erk :mwaha

Akisohida

I did not have the time to read every post but I bet Biggs stole the hammer, hoping Alexi would come, and Desti could talk to her. (When they first went, the saw Dans mother, remember? She WAS at Twink Territories at that time). When Dan came in drag, he then thought up the whole 'Kidnap Dan and 'accedently' kidnap Alexi because Dan in drag was hawt' plot to AGAIN try and get Alexi and Desti together.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Caswin

Quote from: FireKatKid on December 18, 2006, 07:28:15 PM

That and he was so awesome that Disney actually let him cuss. D: ....Well, at least once.
Er... when?  "Pay a man enough money and he'll walk barefoot into Hell"?  It's not swearing if you're actually referring to the place.

Not that I'm still not surprised he got away with it.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Kenji

Quote from: Caswin on December 18, 2006, 09:41:49 PM

Er... when?  "Pay a man enough money and he'll walk barefoot into Hell"?  It's not swearing if you're actually referring to the place.

To Disney, it is cussing. They ARE PG-PC.

Doraion

Ace: Great the theories are out again.  Why am I not surprised? - -;

Doraion: Uhhh, guess there is someone trying to take Charline out for her theory...wait where is Chris?  *Doraion looks around but I have gone missing.*  Aye, he did a vanishing act again.

Alondro

Quote from: FireKatKid on December 18, 2006, 09:43:34 PM
Quote from: Caswin on December 18, 2006, 09:41:49 PM

To Disney, it is cussing. They ARE PG-PC.

This brings to mind the hilarity of DBZ: In A Nutshell 2...

"Hercule/Mr. Satan" I better get outa here or my name isn't Hercule.  Or is it Mr. Satan, or Mr. Satan, or whatever the hell it is... heh heh... I said hell.

"Goku" Oh no!  Now we're gonna get banned outa Cartoon Network!  Great.  Now our ratings have gone down all because of that stupid swear word from Mr. Sat- I mean, Hercule.

*Chi-chi*  Oooo!  His name is Mr. SATAN!  Ohhh, that's against my religious beliefs!  Now we have to destroy the world... Ha-ha-ha! 

*BWECKKKK!!* 

And so the world was destroyed by anal-retentive mothers everywhere.  The end.

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

superluser

Quote from: Alondro on December 18, 2006, 11:48:22 PMAnd so the world was destroyed by anal-retentive mothers everywhere.  The end.

No, Frank Zappa destroyed those mothers:

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Sienna Maiu - M T

My Biggs fangirl-rating has just gone through the roof.

Artanis

Quote from: superluser on December 18, 2006, 02:38:41 PM
In the Dune series, the Bene Gesserit can see into the future, but there is a place that they cannot look--the place where only the one called the Kwisatz Haderach may go.  The Kwisatz Haderach has no blind spots in prescience.

Uh, no.
The Bene Gesserit Reverend Mothers can only view the past, and only then through the experiences of either their own female ancestors (Other Memories) or those of other Reverend Mothers they have Shared with. The place the Bene Gesserit cannot see/go is the future. They do have a host of other mnemonic, analytic, and physical abilities that together can make them appear to be able to see the future, and read minds.

The Kwisatz Haderach can see the future possibilities, but the more it watches, the less it decides. Also, prescience may be occluded by another prescient power, such as a Guild Navigator or a no-field effect (no-ship, no-chamber, etc.)

superluser

Quote from: Artanis on December 19, 2006, 12:58:40 AMThe Bene Gesserit Reverend Mothers can only view the past

I could have sworn that they could see the future, too.  Maybe I was confusing them with the Guild Navigators.  They do collaborate frequently.

Quote from: Artanis on December 19, 2006, 12:58:40 AMThe Kwisatz Haderach can see the future possibilities, but the more it watches, the less it decides. Also, prescience may be occluded by another prescient power, such as a Guild Navigator or a no-field effect (no-ship, no-chamber, etc.)

Thank you.  That's what I was trying to say.  The `cubi cannot see Dan or his future because he is possessed of a prescient power.

ShiningShadow

But as I see it Dee is quite the actress when the chips are down. Biggs he's gotten so cool on this but now I don't trust him. I will wait and see on this matter on which side he will be on when this whole thing with the dragons and all.

BTBC

I just think that Biggs needs to see Windy for some reason and if he asked her to come she wouldn't so he had to make her want to come.

Everything else was just a sideshow.

Artanis

Quote from: superluser on December 19, 2006, 01:39:42 AM
Thank you.  That's what I was trying to say.  The `cubi cannot see Dan or his future because he is possessed of a prescient power.
Actually, he doesn't have to be protected by a prescient power, his own or another's,... I missed one more method of occlusion: the Siona gene marker prevents prescience from predicting a person's actions. That person could walk down a sandy beach, and the power would see only footprints appearing on the sand.

Also, the occlusion from a Guild Navigator is an area effect. So anyone say, conversing with a navigator, cannot be seen by prescience.

superluser

Quote from: Artanis on December 19, 2006, 06:03:55 PMAlso, the occlusion from a Guild Navigator is an area effect. So anyone say, conversing with a navigator, cannot be seen by prescience.

Well, since Dan hasn't been in close proximity to any one thing for 25 years, we can probably assume that it's Dan, not a Guild Navigator.

Azlan

I hate to have to read all through these posts for this answer, but what does the Spacing Guild have to do with Dan and DMFA?
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Zedd

Quote from: Azlan on December 19, 2006, 11:46:09 PM
I hate to have to read all through these posts for this answer, but what does the Spacing Guild have to do with Dan and DMFA?

I dont know...Maybe someone should stay away from your stash Azzy and maybe they will make more sence...

Azlan

Quote from: Zedd on December 19, 2006, 11:50:15 PM

I dont know...Maybe someone should stay away from your stash Azzy and maybe they will make more sence...

The Spacing Guild, not the Spaced Guild... duuuuude! 

The Guild of Navigators, a.k.a. The Spacing Guild... it's just when I see mention of guild navigators and Dan, I wonder what relevance this has.

Zedd

Quote from: Azlan on December 19, 2006, 11:54:02 PM
Quote from: Zedd on December 19, 2006, 11:50:15 PM

The Spacing Guild, not the Spaced Guild... duuuuude! 

The Guild of Navigators, a.k.a. The Spacing Guild... it's just when I see mention of guild navigators and Dan, I wonder what relevance this has.

Good point and I say you would look great in leather as well...Think of that next time with shopping with Neni...

superluser

Quote from: Azlan on December 19, 2006, 11:46:09 PMI hate to have to read all through these posts for this answer, but what does the Spacing Guild have to do with Dan and DMFA?

The fact that the `cubi at SAIA couldn't see Dan.  It proves he's the Kwisatz Haderach!

MaskedRetriever

Artanis

That's a good question.

Hmm...

Quote from: MaskedRetriever on December 20, 2006, 12:10:39 AM
Muad'Dan!

^^
Join forces with the twinks and remove the horrible Dragonnen from the planet?
Alexi of the Hammer? Pyroduckan Idaho?
Duke Edward Ti'fiona has even been captured already! Will he lose his life attempting to kill the Baron Dragonnen?

It seems to fit more and more as I think about it! Alexi and Pyro are falling in love even!
>:3

superluser

Quote from: Artanis on December 20, 2006, 05:15:29 PMDuke Edward Ti'fiona has even been captured already! Will he lose his life attempting to kill the Baron Dragonnen?

Dr. Ink: Remember the tooth!  The tooth!

Azlan

I see...

I blame ninjas, I always blame ninjas.

Artanis

<erased>

ShiningShadow

Who knows what will happens next. I will wait and see the end results of this arc and i have a feeling that DMFA will not be the same after this story is said and done.