11/22/06 - Fire!

Started by Cogidubnus, November 22, 2006, 12:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Quote from: terrycloth on November 22, 2006, 05:34:30 PMoxidize
4. to remove electrons from (an atom or molecule), thereby increasing the valence. Compare reduce (def. 12). 

There was a definition 1 that specified 'combining with oxygen', but 2NA + H2O -> 2NAOH + H2 seems to qualify on that count too, and this is the one I remember from chemistry.

I can never remember which is reduction and which is oxidation, but who needs to think when Wikipedia is there to think for you?

The alkali metal doesn't undergo oxidation; it undergoes reduction.

Edit: aww, crap.  I'm an idiot.  It undergoes oxidation, not reduction.  This is why I hated redox.

Quote from: terrycloth on November 22, 2006, 05:34:30 PMcombusion
2. Chemistry.
a. rapid oxidation accompanied by heat and, usually, light. 
b. chemical combination attended by production of heat and light. 
c. slow oxidation not accompanied by high temperature and light.

My college Chem text defines combustion as ``A rapid reaction with oxygen accompanied by a flame and the evolution of heat and light (19.8)''.  My high school Chem class said the same.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

DigitalMan

It's quite nice that I understand every word of the chemistry and physics speak for a change, but really, what's the probability it will be used in the comic at all? :P

Wildy

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 22, 2006, 05:41:06 PM

speculation? The chances of this probably just doubled concidering you have an "in" with the Amber person... hmm, someone should start a betting pool.

Amber does not give everything away. And considering I've talked to her maybe 4 times since July when she moved out I really don't know squat of whats going on for the future of DMFA. So I'm as speculative as you guys are. I just don't have my head up my ass about it most of the time. XD

Stygian

That frankness is why I love you, Wildy. Well, that and the stubborn refusal to put on a shirt.

Now, I declare this topic dead in my eyes, and go to find more tea...

DigitalMan

Quote from: Stygian on November 22, 2006, 10:54:49 PM
That frankness is why I love you, Wildy. Well, that and the stubborn refusal to put on a shirt.

I'd say something about not confusing the characters with the real people, but I can't help but wonder how far off that is...

Amber Williams

Guys.  You are venturing into a No-zone.

Don't go there.

DigitalMan

Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 22, 2006, 11:05:22 PM
Guys.  You are venturing into a No-zone.

Don't go there.

*salutes* As you wish.

Alondro

Quote from: Landon_Fox on November 22, 2006, 09:12:44 PM
I am impressed by your chemistic reporte, Alondro.  Of course you know that the next time I include some chemistry gadget in my writing, I'm going to come to you for the technospeak!

Heh, don't forget about Wikipedia.  I go there whenever I'm not sure I'm remembering something correctly.  The chemistry data there has become quite extensive.   :)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alondro on November 22, 2006, 11:51:47 PM
Heh, don't forget about Wikipedia.  I go there whenever I'm not sure I'm remembering something correctly.  The chemistry data there has become quite extensive.   :)

... How much of that is your fault? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 23, 2006, 06:29:07 AM
Quote from: Alondro on November 22, 2006, 11:51:47 PM

... How much of that is your fault? :-)

The Computer Science data is pretty good too. At least until you tread into compiler theory.