Microsoft WHAT?

Started by Tapewolf, November 02, 2006, 05:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

DigitalMan

... And suddenly, the universe warped into roughly the shape of a Pringles potato crisp, and exploded in a shower of swiss cheese cubes.

Aridas

Yay, pals at last. Let's see what happens >.>

Sid

WHA? O.o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
I knew that fact tends to be stranger than fiction... but I certainly didn't see THAT one coming.
:boogie

xHaZxMaTx

It's not loading, what's going on? :<

mini-lion

its just selective competition, microsoft (no firefox, i refuse to have microsoft with a capital M) just being a tactical player,  but yes this is very strange way of going about it. Helping one and not the other, sort of seems in a way microsoft were threatened though I highly doubt it.

edit - "Warning - while you were typing 4 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post." oh snap

Sid

Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on November 02, 2006, 05:50:50 PM
It's not loading, what's going on? :<

Headline and first two paragaphs:

QuoteMicrosoft Gives Linux a Boost Through Partnership With Novell

Microsoft Corp. is entering into an unusual partnership with Novell Inc. that gives a boost to the Linux operating system, a rival to the software giant's Windows software.

Under the pact, Microsoft will offer sales support of Suse Linux, a version of the operating system sold by Novell. The two companies have also agreed to develop technologies to make it easier for users to run both Suse Linux and Microsoft's Windows on their computers.

DigitalMan

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on November 02, 2006, 05:47:26 PM

Technically I think they've been pals since the XBox :P

I wish I could predict the outcome of this, but... I've got nothing. It's one of those things that's so impossibly unpredictable that it shakes the foundations of reality.

*points and laughs at Haz* I know something you don't know!

ShadesFox

I can't say I'm surprised.  I would not be surprised if this was just another swipe at Red Hat, already under pressure from Oracle.  Though you would think the Novell would have learned better the first time they partnered with Microsoft.

Linux world is getting very interesting, though I plan on riding things out with Ubuntu/Debian.
The All Purpose Fox

Aridas

Didn't the article say it WAS something to do with Red Hat?

Vidar

Microsoft Linux.

* the sound of a million linux-geeks screaming in terror *
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

llearch n'n'daCorna

Nope.

Microsoft can try to make linux. What they'll end up with is, to paraphrase DNA, something that is almost, but not quite, totally unlike linux.

*shrug* After all, the entire tech support industry exists due, almost completely, to how crap windows is.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

*has a feeling L. Ron Hubbard is involved somehow...*   :shifty
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Aridas

Quote from: Vidar on November 03, 2006, 05:07:14 PM

Microsoft Linux.

* the sound of a million linux-geeks screaming in terror *
I think they said they weren't going to do that... I didn't quite read it but that's how it came out to me >.>

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 03, 2006, 06:43:14 PM
*shrug* After all, the entire tech support industry exists due, almost completely, to how crap windows is.
no.

Vidar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 03, 2006, 06:43:14 PM

I'm pretty sure User Stupidity (tm) ,PEBKAC (c), Sucky Software (patend pending) and Evil Viruses are also great contributers to the tech support industry.

As much fun as windows-bashing is, I'm afraid your claim is somewhat inaccurate.

Aridas

Yeah. Besides, if some other OS was as used as Windows, you can bet your bippy that every single hax0r would turn their attention towards it and discover ways to exploit it. >.>

Face it, when you have communities of people like that, things get done. :<

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Vidar on November 03, 2006, 10:24:37 PM
As much fun as windows-bashing is, I'm afraid your claim is somewhat inaccurate.

Opinion, not claim. And slightly influenced by how cynical my interaction with my boss is causing me to be. Apologies for that... :-/
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Azlan

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 03, 2006, 10:36:00 PM
Quote from: Vidar on November 03, 2006, 10:24:37 PM

Opinion, not claim. And slightly influenced by how cynical my interaction with my boss is causing me to be. Apologies for that... :-/

It is an opinion that, frankly, pays my bills :)
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Stygian

What is happening?! Where is the reality?! And where are my clothes?! And what the hell happened to the license policy and rules of distribution?! Microsoft want to be in your head! They will ruin everything! EVERYTHING!

Aridas

Calm down, try some of the water. It'll help you forget. forgeeeeeet...

Cogidubnus

This really doesn't affect me at all, but, this is still rocking the foundations of my world. It's like, Optimus Prime and Megatron deciding to stop fighting, and getting married and having a robust family of four. Except Microsoft and Linux being together is even more unlikely.

Sanity has left us, gentlemen. All our base belong to Mr. Gates.
For great Microsoft.

Stygian

*in robotic monotone* You are on the way to destruction!

*waves his finger under Cogidubnus' nose* You have no chance to survive make your time!

*runs off flailing into the horizon* Hahaha!

TheDXM

That's insane.

Dunno if it's a good thing, or a bad thing though!

ShadesFox

Quote from: TheDXM on November 14, 2006, 10:34:39 AM
That's insane.

It is fairly well excepted as a bad thing.  The question is, how bad?  I think it will be fairly dormant for 3 or 4 years, then explode in a giant lawsuit.
The All Purpose Fox

Distracting

Quote from: ShadesFox on November 16, 2006, 12:33:47 AM
That's insane.

It is fairly well excepted as a bad thing.  The question is, how bad?  I think it will be fairly dormant for 3 or 4 years, then explode in a giant lawsuit.

Yeah, you gotta watch out for those exploding lawsuits. They'll hurt you if you're not careful.

However, Microsoft makes a lot of money from just forcing people to pay for products that they need that is otherwise only a preview in their computer. There are a lot of other better products than what Gates deals out.

TheDXM

I see immediate benefits for both parties, than a sudden death match. Good thing is, Linux will probably start getting decent windows-wide emulation, and Microsoft might learn a thing or two about making an excellent OS rather than a simply useable OS.

But then I don't see Microsoft playing nice-guy after that.

Azlan

Quote from: ShadesFox on November 16, 2006, 12:33:47 AM
That's insane.

Want a piece of the action?  :square
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Madd the Sane

I knowing all things computer, am able to interpret this as a plea for help from Microsoft. 

Vista is going to be late!
Vista isn't as secure as they have led us to believe!
Vista actually is an intel port of OS X!

In reality, I hope it helps out Novell, since MS seems stuck in its ways.

Geeks of the world, become one with the universe!
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Vidar

Quote from: Madd the Sane on December 09, 2006, 12:13:56 AM
I knowing all things computer, am able to interpret this as a plea for help from Microsoft. 

Vista is not going to be picked up by the majority of their target market. Most businesses are satisfied with windows XP (some still have windows 2k, 98, or (heaven forbid) 95). I know of a major bank who upgraded to XP only last year.
Most users (even hardcore gamers) are not going to pick up Vista until there are sufficient applications for it (Halo 3 just isn't enough).
Geeks like me hate the DRM "features" in vista, and will leave it on the shelves, where it shall gather only dust, until the layers of dust are so thick, no geek will want to get near it in fear of eternal sneezing-fits.

Sid

Quote from: Madd the Sane on December 09, 2006, 12:13:56 AM

There already is an Intel "port" of OSX. It's called... OSX. ;)

And this isn't going to help Novell. On the contrary. The Open Source community is throwing a hissing fit against Novell and is tweaking GPL 3 to effectively bone Novell out of the deal.

Two example links:
http://techp.org/petition/show/1
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/20/eben_moglen_on_microsoft_novell/

Right now, it doesn't really look as if MS has seen "the error of its ways" or anything. :P