2024-20-02 [Pantheon 17] One Thing

Started by Lying Foo, February 19, 2024, 07:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lying Foo

...okay, so I feel like I should know who this "Maze" is, and this should mean something to me... I can't find him elsewhere, though, wings or no?  I'm sure I've forgotten something...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lying Foo on February 19, 2024, 07:17:29 AM...okay, so I feel like I should know who this "Maze" is, and this should mean something to me... I can't find him elsewhere, though, wings or no?  I'm sure I've forgotten something...

Maze had a large bounty from the idiot princess in volume 3 of Random Encounter.  I can't remember if that was ever explained.

For some reason he was also one of the bandits killed messily by Jason Daryil in Dark Lord Rising.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Merlin

I only got to draw him for that one comic in 2009/09 but he has been quietly in my head the entire time since lol

Lying Foo

This might be a bit morbid, but I wonder whether Clint could fashion a homunculus for passing adventurers to chop up and then maybe snuggle with the last survivor of the party?  (Genuinely, that always did seem a bit creepy to me - probably not such an issue in LaRaGa, which seems to have a significantly higher life expectancy, especially for bandits and adventurers/heroes.)
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Puyon

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 19, 2024, 07:22:25 AMMaze had a large bounty from the idiot princess in volume 3 of Random Encounter.  I can't remember if that was ever explained.

It's sort of implied that Mia was insanely jealous of Maze for getting changed by Clint—- the Gardenian Royal family is devoted to Clyde, so I feel like it's less Mia being jealous of the change, but more jealous because this nobody kid met the son of her god and she wanted to punish him for it.

Other than that, Vashti (Maze's mother) says it's a long story before it's made clear that Delta needs to run the fuck outta there
...By Puyon

Puyon

Quote from: Lying Foo on February 20, 2024, 02:37:05 AMprobably not such an issue in LaRaGa, which seems to have a significantly higher life expectancy, especially for bandits and adventurers/heroes.

We haven't seen a lot of bandit confrontations... there was that one time in Random Encounter where a pair of bandits tried robbing the entire population of the school when they were on the road to the monster races... the vast outnumbering made it so killing was both completely unnecessary and it's always in Mana's best interest to not have people die around her.

Those same bandits robbed the caravan in The Breaking, who swiftly surrendered when Deimi threatened them. So I assume there's the surrender etiquette + Hesh and Daren are both followers of Altair and probably would not allow them to be killed when a peaceful arrest was available.

...oh wait, I forgot the bandit trio that Claw ran into twice. Neil couldn't let three people get brutally killed by a large pack of monsters so they turned them in... and the other time Claw had more important things to worry about lol.

Lani spared the bandits at the start of Merc... and I think that's been all of the on screen bandit encounters...?

First guess would be because the power dynamic between people isn't as horrifically skewed as it is in Furrae... there's also the general policy with the Guild that killing is discouraged except in the event of a Kill Quest being posted. Most targets in LaRaGa for such quests are unintelligent monsters, as opposed to Furrae where the "monsters" tend to be powerful and/or violent people.

Adventurers and Mercenaries aren't beholden to the same discipline and rules as Heroes... so they can probably take more heads. I suspect the bounties posted for bandits and such are funded by local authorities who pay out whoever gets the job done, but heroes might get both the bounty and a payout from the guild for a live capture...

Executioners probably have really stable jobs in LaRaGa since public executions are all the rage.

All in all, I think Phoenix Talon has a higher chance of being killed on screen than a bandit does.
...By Puyon

Tapewolf

Quote from: Puyon on February 22, 2024, 02:47:10 PMThose same bandits robbed the caravan in The Breaking, who swiftly surrendered when Deimi threatened them. So I assume there's the surrender etiquette + Hesh and Daren are both followers of Altair and probably would not allow them to be killed when a peaceful arrest was available.

It's worth noting that in the last page of the first chapter, there's the the line "You're lucky we don't practice backwoods justice here".  So apparently they would be within their rights to string the lot of them up if so inclined.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Puyon

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 22, 2024, 04:45:05 PMIt's worth noting that in the last page of the first chapter, there's the the line "You're lucky we don't practice backwoods justice here".  So apparently they would be within their rights to string the lot of them up if so inclined.

That said, the groups we as readers have been audience to are just too civilized and I guess there's no way of knowing how brutal things can be in the world of heroics and adventuring... hmm... that's giving me ideas for a story...
...By Puyon

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Puyon on February 23, 2024, 05:15:34 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 22, 2024, 04:45:05 PMIt's worth noting that in the last page of the first chapter, there's the the line "You're lucky we don't practice backwoods justice here".  So apparently they would be within their rights to string the lot of them up if so inclined.

That said, the groups we as readers have been audience to are just too civilized and I guess there's no way of knowing how brutal things can be in the world of heroics and adventuring... hmm... that's giving me ideas for a story...

Do let me know what comes of your ideas.

Lying Foo

That was literal millennia ago; it would be strange for mores NOT to have changed.

Puyon

Quote from: Lying Foo on February 24, 2024, 12:04:26 AMThat was literal millennia ago; it would be strange for mores NOT to have changed.

Tape was referring to a line Hesh (traipse who runs the caravan "Devi" and "Travis" were traveling with.). Where that falls in the timeline would be after REv58, so fairly recent if we use Random Encounter as our anchor.
...By Puyon