2022-08-03 [DMFA #2086] - You Caught Me Monologuing

Started by GammaEradon, August 03, 2022, 08:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GammaEradon

Tapewolf

Quote from: GammaEradon on August 03, 2022, 08:34:30 AM
You sly devil! I love Aliph's self-awareness.

Regina stuffing herself with the peas is a nice touch as well.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Glenn Griffon

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2022, 09:49:52 AM
Quote from: GammaEradon on August 03, 2022, 08:34:30 AM
You sly devil! I love Aliph's self-awareness.

Regina stuffing herself with the peas is a nice touch as well.
She's surprisingly adorable for a demon and one of the "villains".

I put it in quotes because as we all know Regina isn't that much of a bloodthirsty demon, she's an aimless young adult who is just starting to get some direction in her life. Her one rampage wasn't so much a bloody massacre as Dan remembers it but a bungling tragedy of errors.

Arcblade

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Arcblade on August 04, 2022, 10:42:27 AM
The Soulstealer family tree, if anyone else got curious. 

I admit I was a bit confused after Aliph referred to Malle as "Malik".

I don't see any Fleshrends on there, so I'm guessing mentioning them was just a way to segue into the issue of Kosi and Malle resorting to fraud?

Nightmask

Dude you aren't doing a monologue you're doing an important bit of educational instruction on a number of topics.

That said it sucks when you're 'Even Evil Has Standards,' 'Lawful Evil,' and 'pragmatic villainy' with family like that to deal with.  You'd like to eliminate them but it would negatively impact yourself and your direct family more than it would generate anything positive on your side.  You can only hope you can salvage one of their offspring and set up contingency plans to deal with possible consequences of the facts coming out somehow.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Nightmask on August 04, 2022, 04:58:25 PM
That said it sucks when you're 'Even Evil Has Standards,' 'Lawful Evil,' and 'pragmatic villainy' with family like that to deal with.  You'd like to eliminate them but it would negatively impact yourself and your direct family more than it would generate anything positive on your side.  You can only hope you can salvage one of their offspring and set up contingency plans to deal with possible consequences of the facts coming out somehow.

Actually, the possibility of "the facts coming out" sets up an interesting and disturbing scenario...  that Hizell (or Destania) could dish the dirt on the Soulstealers and cause a political crisis that could see the city's stewardship transferred to another branch of the family.

While technically Abel is a Zinvth citizen and likely due an inheritance that would cover taxes owed during his enforced stay there, realistically it's Kria who's protecting him right now because she likes him - and a change of management might mean that protection suddenly vanishes.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

e_voyager

Well a little certainly know he's been dead enough times to have a perspective on it. Also I don't really think what he's doing is monologuing so much as the exposition dump. He's literally responding to questions asked by his niece who is not actively trying to kill him.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Glenn Griffon

Quote from: e_voyager on August 08, 2022, 03:53:14 AM
Well a little certainly know he's been dead enough times to have a perspective on it. Also I don't really think what he's doing is monologuing so much as the exposition dump. He's literally responding to questions asked by his niece who is not actively trying to kill him.
I think DP is talking about the attitude and spirit. He's dropping a lot of information at one time which wouldn't be bad except that the whole thing about monologues as a villain's downfall is because they get into talking about the subject matter.
So much so they begin to lose focus and not see anything happening around them.

I believe that DP caught himself starting to lose focus of anything going on around him as he spoke. He essentially dropped his guard. If someone were sneaking up to attack they may have had a moment's chance.

So sure, he wasn't detailing a grand scheme but he was getting too into his expo dump that 'monologing' is the only applicable word.

e_voyager

Fairpoint. I guess if you get two into the exposition dump it will count as a monologue
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey