2021-11-15 [DMFA #2060] Buns for Days.

Started by Russec, November 15, 2021, 11:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russec

Oh wow, I did not expect this result. But I suppose I should've, its ironically very demonic of Regina to outburst that way.

I wonder how DP will react this time. He is always Mr. Cool, logic before emotion etc. but something like this requires, well... empathy. Can the thrice-dead man find that inside himself?

---

Hooray, buns are healthy! And they're both girls. That's a really good pairing to have - not worrying about SURPRISE BABIES is a good thing (I have two sister bunnos, its mostly great). I hope they bring much joy to Amber, she deserves it :)

Drakkenmensch

He may not have the empathy or emotional experience to handle the situation, however he does understand one thing: catastrophic failure.

His own past of rushing through the rune engraving of the crystals that were meant to give him control of the undead and utterly failing to take charge of the new undead race is something that he can relate with. He knows what it feels like to fail and be shunned for it.

Granted, there's a huge difference in the consequences both of them suffered, but hey, it's something he can share. He's so close to being the emotional anchor Regina needs!

ProfesseurRenard

Nightmask

Oh do I so understand that, over 30 years later and still can't escape that conflict with my former high school classmates.  Growing up with them while never getting respect or acceptance yet STILL stuck waking from dreams fabricating moments of friendship and caring with them that never were and never will be.

ArkCelosar

Am.... Am I supposed to feel sad or sympathetic to Regina? I mean, break it down to the bare bones and we're talking about a person who's throwing a crying fit because she can't maim/kill people as expected of her.

Oh no. How terrible.

It's like being asked to sympathize with a serial killer who suddenly hit a slump and is having trouble killing again.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: ArkCelosar on November 16, 2021, 11:49:50 AM
Am.... Am I supposed to feel sad or sympathetic to Regina? I mean, break it down to the bare bones and we're talking about a person who's throwing a crying fit because she can't maim/kill people as expected of her.

Oh no. How terrible.

It's like being asked to sympathize with a serial killer who suddenly hit a slump and is having trouble killing again.
She has no friends and her own family rejected her. She may not be a sympathetic character in real life, but DMFA is just a comic, with its own cultures and rules. Regina is a Demon, and she has completely failed to be a Demon.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Glenn Griffon

Quote from: Drakkenmensch on November 16, 2021, 12:58:13 AM
His own past of rushing through the rune engraving of the crystals that were meant to give him control of the undead and utterly failing to take charge of the new undead race is something that he can relate with. He knows what it feels like to fail and be shunned for it.

Not to mention his failure is a walking talking failure that is all over the world. Everywhere he goes he sees undead and they're a constant reminder of his failure. Even his own sister has an undead and he's sentient because of DP's failure. And they all know it and they all love to rub it in his face.

Oh and that whole being killed time and time again by the same adventurer thing.

Oh no. How terrible.

It's not so much sympathizing with her for not being able to rampage but sympathizing with her over something her family sees as her duty and she feels obligated to participate but deep down she doesn't much care, she just wants them to love her without needing to rampage. Even worse, her family didn't even have strong expectations on her to rampage. They probably expected her to throw a hissy in a department store and they were more or less ready to handwave that as a minimal effort rampage and call the thing done.

But what actually happened is not what they expected or wanted and it was done so bad they had to pay to cover it up.
Basically - Malle Darkblood: Congratulations Regina, we expected nothing from you and you still managed to disappoint and embarrass all of us.

And I think having a condescending family that acts that way towards anything you do to make them proud of you is something many people can relate to.

Nightmask

Quote from: Glenn Griffon on November 16, 2021, 06:11:58 PM

Not to mention his failure is a walking talking failure that is all over the world. Everywhere he goes he sees undead and they're a constant reminder of his failure. Even his own sister has an undead and he's sentient because of DP's failure. And they all know it and they all love to rub it in his face.

Oh and that whole being killed time and time again by the same adventurer thing.

Oh no. How terrible.

It's not so much sympathizing with her for not being able to rampage but sympathizing with her over something her family sees as her duty and she feels obligated to participate but deep down she doesn't much care, she just wants them to love her without needing to rampage. Even worse, her family didn't even have strong expectations on her to rampage. They probably expected her to throw a hissy in a department store and they were more or less ready to handwave that as a minimal effort rampage and call the thing done.

But what actually happened is not what they expected or wanted and it was done so bad they had to pay to cover it up.
Basically - Malle Darkblood: Congratulations Regina, we expected nothing from you and you still managed to disappoint and embarrass all of us.

And I think having a condescending family that acts that way towards anything you do to make them proud of you is something many people can relate to.

And the painful reality you try so hard not to admit to that NOTHING you do ever will get you that 'I'm proud of you' she's wanted her entire life.  She is surely the one character most suited to the 'Well done son' tvtrope in the comic.  The people she so badly wants and needs love and respect from will never give her any of it, and she just can't yet accept that ruining herself for them isn't the way to win.  The way to win is just walk away, accept that you'll never get that from them because they're incapable of that and find those that WILL accept you and give you that.  Infinitely more difficult to do than to say but it can and has been done.

ArkCelosar

Quote from: Cassi-kun on November 16, 2021, 05:03:00 PM
She has no friends and her own family rejected her. She may not be a sympathetic character in real life, but DMFA is just a comic, with its own cultures and rules. Regina is a Demon, and she has completely failed to be a Demon.

Again, that's like saying a serial killer has failed to be a serial killer. I mean, thats honestly the constant problem that I've had with the DMFA universe for as long as I've read it, is that while Cubi are obviously ranged from the good to evil spectrum, so Im ok with them. Demons on the other hand have been pretty consistently shown to be evil. So I fail to see why I should care/sympathize about their issues.

Amber Williams

Quote from: ArkCelosar on November 16, 2021, 08:22:17 PM
Again, that's like saying a serial killer has failed to be a serial killer. I mean, thats honestly the constant problem that I've had with the DMFA universe for as long as I've read it, is that while Cubi are obviously ranged from the good to evil spectrum, so Im ok with them. Demons on the other hand have been pretty consistently shown to be evil. So I fail to see why I should care/sympathize about their issues.

You shouldn't.  Nothing written is going to strike chords with everyone, so if you don't care or sympathize then that's more than fine of you to do so.  For other people, it strikes a chord.  And this will always be different for everyone because everyone has had different lives and outlooks and mindsets that shape their perception of what they are reading.  In many ways, it's part of writing: knowing that your audience will have two perspectives that are both accurate. 

I don't think anyone here is trying to say you personally need to give a toot about Regina, but are simply giving the reasons they give a toot.  Cause it's a work of fiction and there isn't really a right or wrong side to this.  And people are more than allowed to dislike characters or races in the comic.  Sometimes some characters are going to resonate in different ways for different people.

Merlin

but inquiring minds need to know:

is that lady a chinchilla

will there be more chinchillas in the comic

CHIN CHILL AAAAAA

(i love all your incidental character designs lately oh my goddd)

Arcblade

"You did everything right!" she screamed at the demon whose obsessions got him literally killed at least twice and who has lived in the shadow of his sister and cousin for quite some time.

But at least thus far, Lorenda has been quite right.  Being terrible family is clearly not one of Aliph's vices. 

Russec

Quote from: Merlin on November 17, 2021, 05:32:49 AM
but inquiring minds need to know:

is that lady a chinchilla

Holy carp here I am delving into deep conversations about motive, empathy, family trauma...
I can't believe I missed that. I'm on board the chinchilla train!

Hariman

...Okay, I want to hug Regina, because she's dealing with one of the insidious lingering issues of dealing with abusive situations.

F.O.G.

Fear of separating from the abusive situation/abuser.
Obligation:  The feeling of being obliged to live up to the abuser's standards/return to the abuser/the feeling of "owing" the abuser something.
Guilt:  Guilt for separating/being your own person because it might "hurt" the abuser.

And yeah, I do view Regina as an abuse victim, considering how she doesn't fit into demon society.

On the positive side:

I honestly suspect that Regina speaking her mind like this will actually gain her a modicum of respect from Dark Pegasus.

Quote from: Arcblade on November 17, 2021, 09:32:38 AM
"You did everything right!" she screamed at the demon whose obsessions got him literally killed at least twice and who has lived in the shadow of his sister and cousin for quite some time.

But at least thus far, Lorenda has been quite right.  Being terrible family is clearly not one of Aliph's vices.

But NOBODY questions that Dark Pegasus/Uncle Aliph is a good demon.

They might mock him for his failure with the undead, but they don't question that he's a demon who will kill you if he wants to.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

GreenReaper

Maybe she could get a race change? Honestly, she makes far more sense to me as 'Cubi than Demon. Even better, she could bone her own wings! :mowtongue

Perhaps Viv could help her find a way to convert, maybe even join Clan Piflak? (They have a member cap, but I imagine an exception could be made...)
Though I must admit, right now she's probably looking more attractive to Seme.

Or who knows - maybe Cori Viscerante was a 'Cubi in disguise, and now that Malle's influence over his daughter is waning, Regina's 'Cubi traits will emerge?
I wouldn't put it past Malle not to have noticed... and heaven knows he has enough pride in him to feed off for decades. Plus, she's just the right age.

Nightmask

Quote from: GreenReaper on November 20, 2021, 07:59:09 PM
Maybe she could get a race change? Honestly, she makes far more sense to me as 'Cubi than Demon. Even better, she could bone her own wings! :mowtongue

Perhaps Viv could help her find a way to convert, maybe even join Clan Piflak? (They have a member cap, but I imagine an exception could be made...)
Though I must admit, right now she's probably looking more attractive to Seme.

Or who knows - maybe Cori Viscerante was a 'Cubi in disguise, and now that Malle's influence over his daughter is waning, Regina's 'Cubi traits will emerge?
I wouldn't put it past Malle not to have noticed... and heaven knows he has enough pride in him to feed off for decades. Plus, she's just the right age.

Running from the problem wouldn't really help her though.  If I remember correctly for someone to convert to a cubi you'd have to have a child with a cubi that was a more powerful clan/bloodline than your own and then work backwards from the child to convert the parent.  I don't remember if there was a second way that worked.

Renadt

Quote from: Glenn Griffon on November 16, 2021, 06:11:58 PM

Oh no. How terrible.

And I think that's why she hates Lorenda so much: Kria loves Lorenda wholeheartedly. She may wish Lorenda would rampage, but she does not force it upon her. She allows Lorenda what Malle will not allow Regina: the choice to be who she wants to be. She is jealous of the relationship she will never have. Her interests are no longer in sync with what her own family wants, and she is shunned for it. And she knows she ruined the one group of friends she could have had- Dan and the others. But there may be hope there. Wildy may end up forgiving her, and even Dan may come around. Only time will tell with her.

GreenReaper

Quote from: Nightmask on November 22, 2021, 01:29:29 AMRunning from the problem wouldn't really help her though.  If I remember correctly for someone to convert to a cubi you'd have to have a child with a cubi that was a more powerful clan/bloodline than your own and then work backwards from the child to convert the parent.  I don't remember if there was a second way that worked.
That's why it makes more sense for her to always have been one, unturned 'til now. We haven't seen her mother at all, right, other than the family tree? What if there's a reason for that? 🤔

Of course, it could just be that she's a typically emotional youngster and that actually a lot of demons go through the same thing, we just don't see much of them - and/or any memories of substandard rampages are rose-tinted with age. She surely wouldn't be the first to disappoint her parent(s).

killpurakat

Quote from: GreenReaper on November 22, 2021, 11:49:01 AM
Quote from: Nightmask on November 22, 2021, 01:29:29 AMRunning from the problem wouldn't really help her though.  If I remember correctly for someone to convert to a cubi you'd have to have a child with a cubi that was a more powerful clan/bloodline than your own and then work backwards from the child to convert the parent.  I don't remember if there was a second way that worked.
That's why it makes more sense for her to always have been one, unturned 'til now. We haven't seen her mother at all, right, other than the family tree? What if there's a reason for that? 🤔

Of course, it could just be that she's a typically emotional youngster and that actually a lot of demons go through the same thing, we just don't see much of them - and/or any memories of substandard rampages are rose-tinted with age. She surely wouldn't be the first to disappoint her parent(s).

No, Regina is not a Cubi.

For one thing, even when rage is their primary emotion, Cubi don't feel a need to immediately lash out at things as demons do, and as Regina did to Wildy's mom. That instinct is very Demon. Cubi become emotional, which... Regina actually didn't do in that situation. She was quite calm (Dan was definitely emotional).

Also, her wings are healing themselves, and Cubi have no regenerative powers. That, from what we have seen, is strictly a Demon passive power, although it has been hinted other Races might have it (and the Cubi are actually the odd ones out for NOT being able to self-heal).

Falina was told she would have made a better Demon than Cubi, but that doesn't change the fact she is still a Cubi, and a leader and powerful at that. People's actions do not change what they are. A human can do monstrous things, and yet they are still human. Similarly, neurodivergent people may not act as societal norms deem we should, but that does not make us less human.

Regina's instinctual actions and lineage show she is a Demon. She merely has not proven this to her very biased, bigoted, immediate family. The best parallel I can draw is a child whose interests do not follow the gender norms their family thinks they need to do, such as a boy wanting to be a ballet dancer or a girl wanting to be a lawyer. Many narrow-minded and bigoted familes would see such things as wrong, even though they aren't (and I know of some really stupid families that would call those kids trans or gay because there's no way cis het people could defy gender norms like that  :mowsad ).

In this regard, Kria was probably at least somewhat good for her, but Aliph's analytical thinking and directness is cutting through the years of abuse and self-reprimanding and hopefully helping her to see that just because society deems something to be a certain way doesn't mean it HAS to always be that way.