2020/08/13 [PF 638] Death is a lot fluffier than I imagined.

Started by ZacAttac21, August 13, 2020, 07:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZacAttac21

Not entirely sure I understand. Is she worried about an AI becoming self-aware, a la Skynet?

Tapewolf

Quote from: zbm1028 on August 13, 2020, 07:14:33 PM
Not entirely sure I understand. Is she worried about an AI becoming self-aware, a la Skynet?

I think the idea originally came from a Philip José Farmer story - one of the World of Tiers books, I believe.  In that they had the ability to transfer someone's mind into an artificial body if they were dying  However, if you took one of these artificial bodies and powered it up without a pre-existing mind inside it, it would develop its own, and they were invariably evil and incredibly dangerous.

Dorcan has proven that the androids are strong enough to be dangerous, but because his body contains the mind of a furre, he will behave like most other 'Cubi would, so they have a fairly good idea of what he's likely to do, and that he has the same ethical framework as he did when he was alive.

Strauss is worried that if Jakob or Niall build a robot body and power it up blank as an experiment and just turn it loose to see what happens, the robot will ultimately develop its own mind, but it will be an intelligence unlike anything anyone has previously encountered.  They will not be able to predict what it will do, and it may have a vastly different ethical system.  If the hypothetical robot decides they want to take something from a jewellery shop, their moral framework may not see a problem with killing the jeweller, police and any witnesses, much like someone going on a rampage in Skyrim.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ProfesseurRenard

Something tells me Fa'rana's Epsilon Project is the realisation of Strauss's worst fears. And that's even without them developing a mind of their own.

Merlin

Tapewolf

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 14, 2020, 03:14:43 AM
Quote from: Merlin on August 14, 2020, 03:05:41 AM
Guinea pig appreciation time

I still say that's a rat with fur scraps glued on it...
And the tail removed?

In all seriousness, is Mr Death meant to be a guinea pig, then?

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 13, 2020, 07:40:27 PM
Quote from: zbm1028 on August 13, 2020, 07:14:33 PM

I think the idea originally came from a Philip José Farmer story - one of the World of Tiers books, I believe.  In that they had the ability to transfer someone's mind into an artificial body if they were dying  However, if you took one of these artificial bodies and powered it up without a pre-existing mind inside it, it would develop its own, and they were invariably evil and incredibly dangerous.

Dorcan has proven that the androids are strong enough to be dangerous, but because his body contains the mind of a furre, he will behave like most other 'Cubi would, so they have a fairly good idea of what he's likely to do, and that he has the same ethical framework as he did when he was alive.

Strauss is worried that if Jakob or Niall build a robot body and power it up blank as an experiment and just turn it loose to see what happens, the robot will ultimately develop its own mind, but it will be an intelligence unlike anything anyone has previously encountered.  They will not be able to predict what it will do, and it may have a vastly different ethical system.  If the hypothetical robot decides they want to take something from a jewellery shop, their moral framework may not see a problem with killing the jeweller, police and any witnesses, much like someone going on a rampage in Skyrim.

Sounds to me like Ms. Strauss has been reading too much science fiction. :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on August 14, 2020, 03:19:51 AM
In all seriousness, is Mr Death meant to be a guinea pig, then?

Yes.  It's the first time I've coloured one.   I was kind of expecting a more typical-looking one, but Merlin chose an Abyssian.  I was completely taken by surprise by the fur whorls and wasn't quite sure how to colour them.  The wikipedia example Merlin linked here did not help much, so I ended up just searching google for images and trying my best.  I'm hoping it will get better in time, but Mr. Death is only an occasional character anyway, so it doesn't look like I'm going to get much practice.

InhumanInterest

Guinea pigs in general make for an interesting time to anthropomorphize. They kind of have a unique skull shape for a small mammal.

Merlin

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 14, 2020, 10:33:17 AM
Yes.  It's the first time I've coloured one.   I was kind of expecting a more typical-looking one, but Merlin chose an Abyssian.  I was completely taken by surprise by the fur whorls and wasn't quite sure how to colour them.  The wikipedia example Merlin linked here did not help much, so I ended up just searching google for images and trying my best.  I'm hoping it will get better in time, but Mr. Death is only an occasional character anyway, so it doesn't look like I'm going to get much practice.

I was going to suggest a tricolour anyway so you pretty much got exactly what I had in mind!

edit: the wikipedia one has a really odd fur pattern. I much prefer Mr Death's

ZacAttac21

Merlin

Quote from: zbm1028 on August 15, 2020, 04:47:33 PM
I may have to commission Merlin to draw him "wheeking" sometime. With a derpy face.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-4d7df7b5f1d433f0c116f6ed3211c99e

If we do that then we'll also have to draw him popcorning X3

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Merlin on August 15, 2020, 08:28:35 PM
Quote from: zbm1028 on August 15, 2020, 04:47:33 PM
I may have to commission Merlin to draw him "wheeking" sometime. With a derpy face.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-4d7df7b5f1d433f0c116f6ed3211c99e

If we do that then we'll also have to draw him popcorning X3

Yyyeeesssss, sweet blackmail material. >:3

InhumanInterest

He should be careful about that, always check ceiling height before popcorning