2019-10-07 [DMFA #1947] Abel is...

Started by e_voyager, October 07, 2019, 05:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_voyager

Don't forget jerk fashion designer and a whole list of other things that all going to making the puzzle that is able. Honestly then keeps getting blindsided by things that others would consider common sense.

[Fixed thread title -TW]
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

I hope they get an expo of the fact that M'Chek was doing something incredibly nasty before Cyra topped him, since that little fact seems to be missing from most of the accounts.  Actually, this is probably just the kind of thing Aary showed up to learn about...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Eboreg

As a bonafide history nerd, I can sympathize with Abel here.

"What do you mean you don't know about the Battle off Samar?"
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

joshofspam

Considering how this page started out and the topics of the last page, were we about to learn that all this crystal was mined from hat city? I mean from the description of it, it wouldn't surprise me that a key ingredient came from there.

But she said She literally made them with her BLOOD and tears. I'm remembering back to Taun describing a failed ascension. I'm getting an image that a successful one isn't much more pleasant or at least Cyras wasn't.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: joshofspam on October 07, 2019, 10:45:47 AM
But she said She literally made them with her BLOOD and tears. I'm remembering back to Taun describing a failed ascension. I'm getting an image that a successful one isn't much more pleasant or at least Cyras wasn't.

Hmm... I was thinking it was more of a self-punishment thing.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Jonah21 on October 07, 2019, 05:59:10 PM
Quote from: joshofspam on October 07, 2019, 10:45:47 AM

Hmm... I was thinking it was more of a self-punishment thing.

Castigo corpus meum.

Tuyu

I miss Abel.

This thread really needs one of his sucker punches. :)

e_voyager

I would argue more for one of his instant disrobing techniques. Only Matilda and possibly Cyra would be safe from them
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

The One Guy

Originally I was confused why such a historically significant and documented event could be completely forgotten by the general public, then I thought about how many people randomly picked from the side of the road could tell you much about Constantinople/Istanbul, one of the most important cities in European history (the most widely known of any continent's history), and suddenly it made a lot more sense.

YawnPB

It seems that Dan has forgotten about what Cyra told him about her perception of time.  To her it's not "that" long ago and very significant.  However to most of the regular folk it's a weird footnote about an area no one travels to.
Lurkus Wallflowerus

Tapewolf

Interestingly, in page 87 of Abel's Story part two, Kria states that 'Cubi are unwelcome in Zinvth because the people are worried about them turning it into another Hishaan.  That was about 350 years ago, so I guess things have changed a bit since...

YawnPB

It would be about 4ish maybe generations ago for 350 years or so?  There might be a correlation between the time span for beings and the sheer amount of violent events that have happened in Furrae.  I wonder how many other towns, villages, even cities that have also been wiped out in 350 years...
Lurkus Wallflowerus

Tapewolf

Quote from: YawnPB on October 09, 2019, 05:09:38 PM
It would be about 4ish maybe generations ago for 350 years or so?  There might be a correlation between the time span for beings and the sheer amount of violent events that have happened in Furrae.  I wonder how many other towns, villages, even cities that have also been wiped out in 350 years...
Yeah, but the Hishaan event was 7000 years ago.  In Abel's Story they're wringing their hands about an event over 6600 years distant, that's multiple cubi lifetimes... then finally forget about it within Kria's living memory.
Now, it might be that someone with an even longer lifetime was keeping the flame lit...

e_voyager

KathYohneke

in a unrelated note, im curious about Cyra's eyes. every other appearance of her I can remember her eyes were normal. is this a clan leader home body thing when they arnt puppeteering around in a normal sized body?

Tapewolf

Quote from: KathYohneke on October 11, 2019, 04:12:23 AM
in a unrelated note, im curious about Cyra's eyes. every other appearance of her I can remember her eyes were normal. is this a clan leader home body thing when they arnt puppeteering around in a normal sized body?

Taun largely had normal eyes, but switched to pure white when excited about the prospect of another war.  It may be that they default to solid but project or shapeshift normal-looking eyes when they have company.
(A definitive answer would be handy for Daryil in his post-DMFA form.)

EDIT: Then again, Fa'Lina was shown with normal eyes when she was trapped by Hizell...

InhumanInterest

Really the ignorance does make sense to me and I can think of an explanation for Kria's wording that abides with it.

Granted I'm from America and I've seen a lot of historical events get distorted beyond all recognition. Especially those where propaganda can be severed by distortion. That's already been suggested and by that I think Kria's phrasing can be explained as describing the motive in her own terms rather than in the terms the general public would use.

In this case what I'm specifically imagining is that at the time of the city being turned to glass a campaign was started focusing on cubi as the one's responsible for the event. This was channeled into a general distrust and hatred of cubi. By repeating propaganda cycles eventually the initial incident is lost and it just becomes "cubi are bad because they're dangerous." But because Kria is familiar with this initial incident and the historical context of the propaganda she cites it in a more specific manner.

At least that's my explanation on the matter.

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 11, 2019, 05:09:25 AM
Quote from: KathYohneke on October 11, 2019, 04:12:23 AM

Taun largely had normal eyes, but switched to pure white when excited about the prospect of another war.  It may be that they default to solid but project or shapeshift normal-looking eyes when they have company.
(A definitive answer would be handy for Daryil in his post-DMFA form.)

EDIT: Then again, Fa'Lina was shown with normal eyes when she was trapped by Hizell...
It's the true appearance of her eyes.

When Dan first contacted her, he perceived her as she truly was, including glowing eyes, and it freaked him out. After that, normal eyes were just part of how she altered her appearance for his comfort.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on October 12, 2019, 12:07:28 AM
It's the true appearance of her eyes.

When Dan first contacted her, he perceived her as she truly was, including glowing eyes, and it freaked him out. After that, normal eyes were just part of how she altered her appearance for his comfort.

Yeah, again, p.1587 is a gap in that theory.

Tuyu

But to use 1587 as reference about cubi clan leaders, you first have to answer the question, "How do you chain a shapeshifter?"

Reasonable to assume her power was blocked at that time, until she freed herself.

e_voyager

Well as possible that her power was blocked and she truly was chained somewhere my perception is that she's telling the story to someone and Page 1587 is how they perceive her to have been held captive. For all we know she was actually trapped as a orb of energy side some Djin bottle or or another

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on October 14, 2019, 12:40:21 AM
But to use 1587 as reference about cubi clan leaders, you first have to answer the question, "How do you chain a shapeshifter?"
Reasonable to assume her power was blocked at that time, until she freed herself.

I can buy that it might be an artist's impression of what happened and not visually correct, but if you're suggesting that these events didn't happen, I think the burden of proof is on you.

That said, we know that it's possible to magically suppress a demon's powers, because we saw Mephala doing that to Kria.  I'd be astonished (and annoyed) if you can't do that to 'Cubi as well.  Hizell is old as the hills and quite possibly the single most powerful creature native to Furrae, so if anyone has the know-how and resources to build a chain capable of holding a Tri-Wing, it's him.
Also, with her clan dead she's not expected to put up much of a fight anyway because Tri-Wings who've lost their clan tend to wither and die.

e_voyager

I went back and reread at 1587 she's telling her story to Dan about her imprisonment about what happened to her clan about her drawing on her inner reserves of Hope to escape. Dan has only seen Felina and her current state so what we're seeing is likely not what happened but then visualization of what happened.