2019-07-01 [DMFA #1929] Descendants?

Started by Rafe, July 01, 2019, 03:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe

Sounds like Cyra still has a good amount of ambition left in her if she's got world-building plans like that.

And of course, I assume she has plans for Dan in the "Descendants" Department. I wonder if she'll start putting the pressure on Dan and the conveniently nearby Matilda sometime soon.

Oh, and happy Canada day, eh?

Rafe

e_voyager

Makes me feel sorry for being cuz I'm pretty certain she's not talking about his mother and his sister Alexis though I wonder if Alexis can be marked since her and Dan are related by blood even if that blood is through Dan's father and not Alexis's mother
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Drakkenmensch

*waves tiny canadian flag* Happy Canada day, to everyone! Even if you're not from the land of mooses and maple syrup, you get to be canadian for the day!

Mind the curling stones on the skating rink.

Wanderer

...Well, it seems pretty clear that Cyra is moderately serious about that "have you gotten around to making me any grandkids yet?" issue.

Tapewolf

Quote from: e_voyager on July 01, 2019, 06:52:23 AM
Makes me feel sorry for being cuz I'm pretty certain she's not talking about his mother

Given how mentally unstable Dan's mother is, you wouldn't really want her as part of the ruling class.  Supposedly Cyra has only recently become aware of Dan's existence, which raises several questions.
Was she planning to coerce Dee into giving her children?  Or had she resigned herself to the fact that Destania would eventually die, hoping to use the mythos as a surrogate clan kind of like Fa'Lina did with the Academy?
On that note, Cyra presumably knows that the Academy will eventually break down (since Taun, Cyra and Fa'Lina were allies at the time of its creation), thus exposing her only descendant to Hizell, who would greedily scoop down and take her out.  Maybe Cyra was planning to keep Dee alive until then, at which point she could spirit Dee away to her space station and give her an alternative to simply killing dragons?

Now we have Dan.  Matilda comes from a culture where harems are normal, so she probably isn't going to be too upset if Dan starts fooling around with other people - especially given the knowledge that Cyra desperately needs her clan repopulated.

I am also curious as to whether they are sure the new planet is actually capable of sustaining Beings.  That might not matter for Cyra herself, or the space-capable Mythos, but it would certainly matter for her descendants.  Unless the plan was to keep them in space stations until they are sufficiently magical that they don't need to breathe anymore...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jasae Bushae

If their capable of sustaining a space station long term, I see no reason why a planet locked one would be that difficult for them to put together.

I confess the way that was worded leaves me to wonder if Cyra intends to send her grandson back home
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Cassi-kun

It interests me that they plan to live in a world free of war under the guidance of one whose actions spawned a war whose effects are still being felt.

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on July 01, 2019, 08:28:35 AMI confess the way that was worded leaves me to wonder if Cyra intends to send her grandson back home
I'm sure she will. Cyra may want Dan with her, but I don't think she'd hold him captive.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cassi-kun on July 01, 2019, 03:47:35 PM
I'm sure she will. Cyra may want Dan with her, but I don't think she'd hold him captive.

There's also a time factor at play here.  From the Mythos' words, it seems to be taking them a decade or so for their probes to reach a suitable waypoint.  We don't know how many they have, but we do know they are less than halfway to the star system they intend to colonise.  Dan probably has a century or so before he has to worry about seeding a colony world.

Quote from: Cassi-kun on July 01, 2019, 03:47:35 PM
It interests me that they plan to live in a world free of war under the guidance of one whose actions spawned a war whose effects are still being felt.
Plus we're also assuming that this new world is habitable, but not inhabited.  Otherwise they'll be causing another war.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Eboreg

Part of me wonders how much Cyra believes in this Utopian ideal and if she doesn't, how much she contributed to it. It's actually disturbingly easy to believe that Cyra didn't intentionally contribute to this ideal at all but doesn't end it because that would quite frankly cause too many problems.

Honestly, I find that the best explanation is that Cyra wants to get the heck away from the dragons.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Gamma

Hmmm, Dan and Matilda having kids could possibly be excellent for space faring with occasional lack of gravity. Multiple limbs and strong constitution would help deter the effects of low to zero gravity. Long life spans don't hurt here either.

Cyra can only be in one place at a time, and even if the artificial gravity is magically powered, I'm sure there's a finite amount of energy they can dedicate to that at a time. Leaving a station or vessel probably many weeks in a lower powered state where those attributes may come in handy. Plus there is also the fact Matilda is of a Mythos race that can potentially subsist off unusual energies and not need actual food, much like Cubi.

Though this would assume they would continue their Trek into the Stars, possibly for Generations to come, off into Deep Space. Defiantly and Boldly going where no one has dared before. Instead of just staying on their new Genesis, the planet colony, and considering the Voyage done.

This does seem to be a lovely Enterprise they are going on with though. Great Discovery's await!
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

rwstyles

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on July 01, 2019, 08:28:35 AM
If their capable of sustaining a space station long term, I see no reason why a planet locked one would be that difficult for them to put together.

I confess the way that was worded leaves me to wonder if Cyra intends to send her grandson back home
We have seen a cameo of Dan on the future strip, which takes place after Destana deals with the dragons.

WhyNot?

Quote from: rwstyles on July 03, 2019, 05:55:37 PM
Quote from: Jasae Bushae on July 01, 2019, 08:28:35 AM

We have seen a cameo of Dan on the future strip, which takes place after Destana deals with the dragons.

Are you referring to his cameo in Project Future? Tape doesn't have foreknowledge of where DMFA will have him end up.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Gamma on July 02, 2019, 11:36:56 PM
Hmmm, Dan and Matilda having kids could possibly be excellent for space faring with occasional lack of gravity. Multiple limbs and strong constitution would help deter the effects of low to zero gravity. Long life spans don't hurt here either.

Cyra can only be in one place at a time, and even if the artificial gravity is magically powered, I'm sure there's a finite amount of energy they can dedicate to that at a time. Leaving a station or vessel probably many weeks in a lower powered state where those attributes may come in handy. Plus there is also the fact Matilda is of a Mythos race that can potentially subsist off unusual energies and not need actual food, much like Cubi.

Though this would assume they would continue their Trek into the Stars, possibly for Generations to come, off into Deep Space. Defiantly and Boldly going where no one has dared before. Instead of just staying on their new Genesis, the planet colony, and considering the Voyage done.

This does seem to be a lovely Enterprise they are going on with though. Great Discovery's await!

Enough with the Star Trek puns.

Merlin

Quote from: Gamma on July 02, 2019, 11:36:56 PM

god bless u and this post

GreenReaper

Quote from: Rafe on July 01, 2019, 03:45:41 AMI wonder if she'll start putting the pressure on Dan and the conveniently nearby Matilda sometime soon.

The best part is she's blue, so she matches the family theme already! :U

Lying Foo

Why should this be on Dan's shoulders rather than Destania's, anyway?  She's still fertile, isn't she?
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 06, 2019, 11:55:23 AM
Why should this be on Dan's shoulders rather than Destania's, anyway?  She's still fertile, isn't she?
She's also insane, bitter, still hung up on Aniz, and generally doesn't strike me as the type to volunteer to help populate a world "free from war."
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Shadow_B_Panther

Maybe it was too obvious or just not important enough to mention, but I'm actually no one brought up Matilda's eyes again. Two looking at the Mythos and one looking at Dan in the last panel. Wonder if she's just reacting to him preparing to say something or more curious about said descendants.

killpurakat

So... what gets me is that Cyra didn't seem aware of Dan until a short while ago. And the Mythos is making this plan sound almost like a legend, handed down for a few generations at least. Now, the Mythos space race might be long-lived and these could be the same ones that helped Cyra escape Furrae so this is just the plan they all came up with when they helped her (and how did she spin the story of turning a city to glass to make them think her ruling was a good thing?!), but if not, then I really wonder how Destania was going to fit into all this. Cyra has given her daughter a much longer lifespan than normal, and she hid Aniz when he left the Academy on Destania's behalf, so I'm wondering if both those acts were done with the idea in mind that there would be payback and Destania would HAVE to have some kids for Cyra to take to the new world.

Ah, well. We'll see next update. :) BTW, for those who get the Patreon previews, does anyone know if the Pokemon doodle Amber was working on will be posted to her FA page? I wanted to see it finished!

Also also, I put a post in the Outer Fortress forum about a fantasy series y'all might like, if you like DMFA. Please go check it out!

Tuyu

Quote from: killpurakat on July 09, 2019, 11:52:25 PM
So... what gets me is that Cyra didn't seem aware of Dan until a short while ago.
I think it's just that to her, twenty-some years is a short while.

Cyra has learned all the lessons of How Not To Be Seen. She waited for him to contact her.

killpurakat

Quote from: Tuyu on July 10, 2019, 01:47:26 AM
Quote from: killpurakat on July 09, 2019, 11:52:25 PM
So... what gets me is that Cyra didn't seem aware of Dan until a short while ago.
I think it's just that to her, twenty-some years is a short while.

Cyra has learned all the lessons of How Not To Be Seen. She waited for him to contact her.

For Cyra, 20 years is short, we just have no reference for the Mythos space species. 20 years could be short or long to them.

If you're referring to Cyra knowledge of Dan, it isn't a question of how long Dan has been around, it is the fact that Cyra LITERALLY had no knowledge of him until recently (less than a year) that makes me wonder what the plan was. Remember when he first contacted her, she was overjoyed that she had a grandson, which means before that she only knew of Destania as far as family goes. She wasn't waiting to contact him, she knew nothing about him. After that, she was just happy to be on his radar and he on hers.

Tuyu

Cyra was happy to meet him, but she certainly didn't seem in any way surprised that he existed.

If there was ever a time when she wasn't aware of his existence, I'd say it was up to the point where his headwings first manifested.

(Or, if Fa'lina does have some way of getting messages to her, she could have let Cyra know when she first found out.)

killpurakat

Quote from: Tuyu on July 14, 2019, 11:03:32 PM
Cyra was happy to meet him, but she certainly didn't seem in any way surprised that he existed.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1002.php
It's hard to read because of the fancy script, but she says in the first panel, "A grandson! At long last! It has been so long since I have felt the presence of one of my descendants!" That indicates she didn't know about him until that unlocking of his power and connecting to her. Heck, most of her speech in these panels is all about having someone out there besides Destania at last, since Dest is... um... uncommunicative.

She does talk about finally meeting her grandson, but it seems to hint at more "I HAVE a grandson again," not "I knew you were out there and waiting." Like a secret hope that came true.

Shakal

Quote from: killpurakat on July 15, 2019, 01:21:59 AM
Quote from: Tuyu on July 14, 2019, 11:03:32 PM

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1002.php
It's hard to read because of the fancy script, but she says in the first panel, "A grandson! At long last! It has been so long since I have felt the presence of one of my descendants!" That indicates she didn't know about him until that unlocking of his power and connecting to her. Heck, most of her speech in these panels is all about having someone out there besides Destania at last, since Dest is... um... uncommunicative.

She does talk about finally meeting her grandson, but it seems to hint at more "I HAVE a grandson again," not "I knew you were out there and waiting." Like a secret hope that came true.

I hadn't remembered until this link, comic 1000 was when we first met Cyra. Now we seem to be moving into the later stages of setting up all the players, Bigg's plan, etc... What's comic 2000 going to be?