2018-12-21 [DMFA 1889] - The power of faith

Started by Tapewolf, December 21, 2018, 08:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

That variable power thing is a really weird setup.  It goes part way to explaining Owona's death, but it does seem to make Jyrras' weapons unnecessary - a Cult of Biggs worshippers would probably be enough to give him the power to smite Hizell dead.  Unless, of course, he needs to take down Hizell first... and the knowledge that he is able to do that once means he is automatically able to take down others of that stature if need be.

Of equal interest is the canonical list of boons as left on the Katbox version of the page:
1: Wildy (A ton of Ice Cream)
2: Biggs (Listed in Comic Above)
3: Fa'Lina (The Power to make the Academy)
4: Jyrras (Wasted his boon to remove Fae bangles)
5: ? (?)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

HaDDea

What a fascinating setup - convince someone you are capable of XYZ, and all of a sudden you can do XYZ. And the more powerful and numerous the people who believe in you, likely the easier the task (and others like it) becomes.

So Biggs basically plans to rewrite Furrae according to his liking by basically becoming a god. He likely has a lot of Beings and a few Creatures on board with his whole "leader of the Twink Territories" schtick, but the dragons likely don't give a flip... yet. And odds are, he's learned about Hishaan and it's outcome, either directly from Dee or from other sources... Because if he can convince the dragons that he can off one of them (and keep it a mystery!), all of a sudden, he can off ALL of them. Jyrras doesn't even need to mass produce the weapon (though he doesn't know that? I assume these memories are not being shared).

I guess someone needed to know he was a credible threat to Tri-Wings? Someone out there say "prove it" and he said "fine"? Wonder who that was...

Also: where is the leak in Biggs' cabal with respect to Zinvth? We know that Kria and her spy network are being kept briefed about the situation. Wonder what they know, and what they plan to do about it?

keybounce

How many people?

"Convince someone that you can move a mountain, and you can" -- implies that it only takes one. So, share the secret with Destania, and that's the one person that you need?

I feel like we only understand a part of this boon.

Also, if I'm reading this correctly, the number that do *not* believe -- active disbelief even (Hello sis!) -- in you does not matter. Only the faithful count.

EDIT: I want to go back and re-read all of the Biggs comics with this boon in mind ...

Jasonrevall

Now all Biggs needs is an army of Orks. Probably some flashy gits like the Bad Moons would work.

Also I'm more excited about the fact we finally know how The Fae work (kinda). They don't have limitless power they seem to function on self confidence which can be good or bad I suppose depending on the person.

Also lol at my guess being the exact opposite of what his boon really was. Should be interesting to learn if theres any other limitations or rules that Mab had to explain later.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Cassi-kun

And now we know what a maxed out Bluff stat looks like in Furrae.

I'm hoping the flashback covers his relationships with Dee and Kria as well. Especially considering that his goal is to balance out the power between Beings and Creatures.

Quote from: HaDDea on December 21, 2018, 09:59:06 AM
I guess someone needed to know he was a credible threat to Tri-Wings? Someone out there say "prove it" and he said "fine"? Wonder who that was...
Dee, most likely. Someone who understands Cubi Clan Leaders and is in close enough confidence to Biggs to be in on the plan on a personal level.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Shakal

I wonder if he got to keep the 'hands flaming with power' as a cantrip. Would make the 'convince folks I can do anything' much easier.

And on that note, I don't think Biggs would tell ANYONE about this, because if word of it got out it could destroy his entire powerbase.

Icalasari

...Is THAT how Biggs changed to a man? Convinced enough people that he's biologically a guy and BAM! Now he's a guy?
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 08, 2011, 10:54:19 AM
Warning! This cubi has encountered an unknown error and needs to restart
Do you wish to start in safe mode ? Y/N
Loading last known good configuration.....
Loading WinMows....

Tuyu

Quote from: keybounce on December 21, 2018, 11:39:13 AM
Also, if I'm reading this correctly, the number that do *not* believe -- active disbelief even (Hello sis!) -- in you does not matter. Only the faithful count.
If it doesn't, that'd be a whole 'nother can of worms.

Imagine Biggs standing between two people--one who believes he can beat the dragon, and one who doesn't.

Of course, you still need to account for the effect of the unfaithful upon the faithful.  His fate flies upon the wings of the cult of popularity at its most fickle.

Akisohida

Reminds me of a person with the talent of the 'Idea':

If they believe something, it becomes true. No matter what.

BUT the idea has to come from someone who does not know her talent. So when she learns of her magic of Idea, she can no longer activate it.

..But if someone ELSE says 'I am sure I will survive this fight with the dragon' near her, she only has to say 'I'm sure you will' and, since the FIRST person did not know her talent, and voiced the idea, it then becomes reality; they will survive their fight, no matter what.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Howl

Perhaps this was the power that Sir Bearington had all along.

I have no faith or lack of faith in this idea, but I'm going to present the possibility that Wildy's boon is still on the table and that Mab decided "Yeah, I think I'm gonna call a mulligan on that one.".

Still though, made up rules and such.

The One Guy

Quote from: Jasonrevall on December 21, 2018, 01:43:17 PM
Also I'm more excited about the fact we finally know how The Fae work (kinda). They don't have limitless power they seem to function on self confidence which can be good or bad I suppose depending on the person.

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with how fae magic works, just what she happened to give Biggs.  She even says in the comic itself "I sadly cannot give you a power like mine."

Jasonrevall

Quote from: The One Guy on December 22, 2018, 10:32:19 AM
Quote from: Jasonrevall on December 21, 2018, 01:43:17 PM

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with how fae magic works, just what she happened to give Biggs.  She even says in the comic itself "I sadly cannot give you a power like mine."

She clearly claims Fae are as powerful as they believe they are. She comes from a people that intermingle with eldritch beings and deities so it makes sense they'd have such a powerful ability but it does in some form seem to have a limit.

Puyon

Quote from: Icalasari on December 22, 2018, 12:49:50 AM
...Is THAT how Biggs changed to a man? Convinced enough people that he's biologically a guy and BAM! Now he's a guy?

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1878.php

Biggs, his mother, and Wildy were looking into the steps of helping him transition before all this happened. He didn't need to magically convince anyone that's he a man when the people it mattered to already knew that he is.

I don't know what the limitations of the boon is but it would be weird if he could physically change his whole body because he told someone to believe it. I mean... what if he could convince someone he were a disguised creature and they believed it? Would he become a creature then? I think the boon just affects what he can do, not what he is...
...By Puyon

Sofox

I'm surprised everyone is so desperately trying to tie Bigg's physical transformation to the boon. I mean this is Furrae we're talking about. Magical ways to transform aren't exactly in short supply: there's a whole race of shapeshifters, Jyrras himself makes consumer grade patches, and Able turned Dan into his sister just so so they could get out out of a mildly awkward situation. I'm sure if Biggs was really on a quest to change, there'd be multiple ways to do it (I have a feeling he made a glancing reference to this once, but I can't find it in the archives).

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Sofox on December 23, 2018, 11:52:27 AM
I'm surprised everyone is so desperately trying to tie Bigg's physical transformation to the boon. I mean this is Furrae we're talking about. Magical ways to transform aren't exactly in short supply: there's a whole race of shapeshifters, Jyrras himself makes consumer grade patches, and Able turned Dan into his sister just so so they could get out out of a mildly awkward situation. I'm sure if Biggs was really on a quest to change, there'd be multiple ways to do it (I have a feeling he made a glancing reference to this once, but I can't find it in the archives).

http://dmfa.katbox.net/comic/1422-there-is-one-in-every-question-frm-the-readers/ This is the only one I could find right now but I was pretty sure there was something else out there that stated the magical version of a transition has the tradeoff that it's more dangerous than our version but maybe I'm misremembering. Apparently the most known transition procedure is done by Mythos as stated by this question from the readers. I'm going to take a guess and say that this is the method that Biggs sought out in the end.

Also I think that having Mab just do the change removes the chance for relatability. Just having the transition be magiced in instantly with no risks would kindof cheapen it a bit I think but maybe I'm wrong.

Viking ZX

Quote from: Icalasari on December 22, 2018, 12:49:50 AM

Sorta semi sounds like it. After all, it seemed Biggs was pretty secretive about things early on. Start taking over the Twink territories under a male name (as stated here) and become influenced by that. I mean, she straight up says here that she's going to go by the new name because it's male, which would start people associating her as a him, which on the way this boon is worded (and based on her desire) would make her a him before long from the sound of it.
I'm an author! Check out my site!

Kibin

Quote from: Jasonrevall on December 23, 2018, 06:17:56 PM

http://dmfa.katbox.net/comic/1422-there-is-one-in-every-question-frm-the-readers/ This is the only one I could find right now but I was pretty sure there was something else out there that stated the magical version of a transition has the tradeoff that it's more dangerous than our version but maybe I'm misremembering. Apparently the most known transition procedure is done by Mythos as stated by this question from the readers. I'm going to take a guess and say that this is the method that Biggs sought out in the end.

Also I think that having Mab just do the change removes the chance for relatability. Just having the transition be magiced in instantly with no risks would kindof cheapen it a bit I think but maybe I'm wrong.

TBH I figured that not simple and not easy would mean similar to real life transition. Not something you'd do on a lark, but still quite doable if you have the time and money to undergo the procedure. Biggs would still need to undergo the procedure itself, or at least *make* someone think they underwent it. (or make someone believe Biggs learned how to do it themselves?)

ZacAttac21

I'm starting to wonder just how much The Plan involves Jyrras's weapon. If I'm understanding this right, perhaps all Biggs needs to do is use it once (RIP Hizell), then convince people that he did it using his own power. And bam, he has the power to slay dragons.

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Kibin on December 25, 2018, 06:05:48 AM
Quote from: Jasonrevall on December 23, 2018, 06:17:56 PM

TBH I figured that not simple and not easy would mean similar to real life transition. Not something you'd do on a lark, but still quite doable if you have the time and money to undergo the procedure. Biggs would still need to undergo the procedure itself, or at least *make* someone think they underwent it. (or make someone believe Biggs learned how to do it themselves?)

What I meant by more dangerous was I thought I read somewhere that the fatality rate was 50/50 when the magical change was fully applied. I know that transitions aren't easy in real life.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jasonrevall on December 25, 2018, 04:42:39 PM
What I meant by more dangerous was I thought I read somewhere that the fatality rate was 50/50 when the magical change was fully applied. I know that transitions aren't easy in real life.

IIRC there is a mythos race that can rewrite your DNA, but each subsequent change increases the probability of them making a mistake and causing cancer or similarly nasty adverse effects.

Hence it is not a procedure you would want to do multiple times.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 25, 2018, 06:20:23 PM
Quote from: Jasonrevall on December 25, 2018, 04:42:39 PM

IIRC there is a mythos race that can rewrite your DNA, but each subsequent change increases the probability of them making a mistake and causing cancer or similarly nasty adverse effects.

Hence it is not a procedure you would want to do multiple times.

Ah perhaps that's what I was remembering but messing up. Also sorry to anyone if I offended with my previous comments it wasn't my intent.

Cassi-kun

The boon is specifically the power to do things, not to actually do them. In order for Biggs to have transitioned through the boon, he'd have to convince someone he had the ability to do so on his own.

KyleEverett

It's fun going back over some of Biggs' old appearances under the new info. http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1506.php

Ironically, even if he didn't have the resources to find Regina, he did as soon as Wildy said that, and might be another reason he was so appreciative.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: KyleEverett on December 31, 2018, 12:12:27 AM
It's fun going back over some of Biggs' old appearances under the new info. http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1506.php

Ironically, even if he didn't have the resources to find Regina, he did as soon as Wildy said that, and might be another reason he was so appreciative.
And if that weren't enough,  this surely is.