A Home Of My Own

Started by Dishonored, August 28, 2018, 02:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dishonored

As some of you know, I fought with Disability for a little over four years before finally getting things right. During this time, I've been living in a heavily used house owned by my parents, just because they're nice folks who didn't want me living on the street. Said house is falling apart, and over the past year or two the half-basement underneath has begun to slowly collapse in on itself, making it actually unsafe to use that entire end of the house.

With my back money from Disability, I found a house about eleven miles away in very good condition. One bedroom on the main floor, four smallish ones on the top, two bathrooms, and a large add-on room that can be used for almost anything. The cost? $2,500.

Oh, yeah, there's a catch. The farmer that owned it needs it moved by the middle of September at the latest. I've been busy the past two months getting my finances in order, consulting with movers and contractors, and I currently have the foundation being built not too far behind the disaster I'm living in. I've also found a good, experienced, low-cost mover, who is also the only one I checked on that didn't want to cut my new house in half to move it.

So I'm getting a great house, likely the last one I'll ever live in. I can afford the payments and utilities, and I'm looking forward to being a happy tinkering old hermit in it. I'm also slightly terrified since I'm moving into permanent adult territory here.

If anyone's interested, I've posted a house walk through and construction updates on Youtube under the name Bella Luthiel. (Don't ask.)
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

ZacAttac21

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hot damn! Well done, sir! Very happy to hear you're not going to fall into your basement.

... wait. You had a basement you were going to fall into? What? There's a story here somewhere, I feel...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dishonored

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 28, 2018, 05:33:04 PM
Hot damn! Well done, sir! Very happy to hear you're not going to fall into your basement.

... wait. You had a basement you were going to fall into? What? There's a story here somewhere, I feel...

When this house was placed about fifty years ago, they put a basement under half of it. The rednecks apparently poured a concrete slab at the bottom of a hole, sort of smoothed it out, then lined the hole with cinder blocks with very little mortar. My family bought the house about 25 years ago, and it looked okay at the time.

What we didn't know is that every few years, when we have a really wet year, the entire basement floods, and even with pumps going it never really gets dry. It was a large part of the reason why my parents bought another house instead of trying to fix this one. About two years ago, two of the walls started to buckle in, and by that time none of us had the money nor willingness to jack the house up, dig around three walls of the basement, rebuild the walls, and put everything back.

I've been pulling my belongings out of that end of the house to lessen the burden, and keeping my fingers crossed that Disability would pull their collective heads out of their rectums. Which they finally did. Sort of.(That's another story.)
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.