2018-05-07 [DMFA#1836] - Divergant impressions

Started by MT Hazard, May 07, 2018, 05:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Comic 1836

Considering how well Reg speaks of Wildy's mum, I'm beginning to wonder if her death was an accident, like she got between Reg and her intended target. Also, I think there is a good chance we will get to see Biggs back when he was Bridget in this flash back.

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Likely the truth is somewhere in between, but things are stacked a little against Dan here.  For one, he's a Creature but was welcomed anyway.  Also Destania has been a friend of their family for generations so it's not like they don't have some kind of alliance going on.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 07, 2018, 06:03:28 AM
Likely the truth is somewhere in between, but things are stacked a little against Dan here.  For one, he's a Creature but was welcomed anyway.  Also Destania has been a friend of their family for generations so it's not like they don't have some kind of alliance going on.

Ah, but Dan, either though denial or ignorance, thought of himself as a being, a winged being, but still a being. That only changed when he got his head wings. I'd Destania is more of an Ally than a friend and Wildy's mother may not be involved with her in any real way.  Its also possible that Wildy's mother had no issue with  creatures per say, but was wary of demons.

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 07, 2018, 06:24:10 AM
Ah, but Dan, either though denial or ignorance, thought of himself as a being, a winged being, but still a being.
True, but what he believes doesn't matter as much as what other people believe.  I doubt Jyrras' mother is the only one who immediately spotted him for some kind of Creature.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

WhyNot?

Its also possible that Wildy's mother had no issue with creatures per say, but was wary of demons.

It's also not unfair for a parent to be wary when their kid/kid's friend brings home somebody they've known for all of a couple hours. I think it's a case of Dan seeing the San mom who realized he wasn't really a judge on whether she was a threat or not and that she'd have to make that call herself whilst Regina saw the San mom who felt that just because she could be a threat didn't mean she had to treat her like she would be.

Lego3400

Dan's also probably being overly harsh on himself, given we know Mrs. San died from this.

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 07, 2018, 06:44:38 AM
Ah, but Dan, either though denial or ignorance, thought of himself as a being, a winged being, but still a being.
True, but what he believes doesn't matter as much as what other people believe.  I doubt Jyrras' mother is the only one who immediately spotted him for some kind of Creature.
Weird thing about the cookies though.

I don't imagine a plate of cookies doesn't just go poof and come out of nowhere. But this is probably visualization through the retelling rather then true to life flashback. The telling will paint a different picture for each story teller. But it's rather surprising that Regina could kill Wildy and Bigg's mom with such high praise here. Is Regina really that impulsive, or is there something else yet to happen that set Regina to think a rampage was in order?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Kuzma Volkov

Sometimes I really wonder if Dan's got anything tween his ears. He himself called his wings angel wings didn't he? There for creature?

MT Hazard

Quote from: Kuzma Volkov on May 08, 2018, 04:56:30 AM
Sometimes I really wonder if Dan's got anything tween his ears. He himself called his wings angel wings didn't he? There for creature?

Do you have a page number for that? Others have asked if he's an angel, but I don't remember him saying that about himself.

The One Guy

I feel the need to point out this page of Abel's Story.  Adventurers often deal with strange magics and sometimes this has unusual effects on their children, such as wings.  So the presence of such features, while likely distrusted, is not proof of that person being a creature.

That said, Dan's case is a bit different given that his mother was known to be a succubus, but I don't think we know the extent of who was and wasn't aware of that.  Wildy's mom's knowledge of Dan being a creature depends entirely on if she knew the truth about Dan's mom.

Genesis

Quote from: The One Guy on May 08, 2018, 05:53:49 PM
I feel the need to point out this page of Abel's Story.  Adventurers often deal with strange magics and sometimes this has unusual effects on their children, such as wings.  So the presence of such features, while likely distrusted, is not proof of that person being a creature.

That said, Dan's case is a bit different given that his mother was known to be a succubus, but I don't think we know the extent of who was and wasn't aware of that.  Wildy's mom's knowledge of Dan being a creature depends entirely on if she knew the truth about Dan's mom.

Buuut wasn't that Aniz at that point? Who is completely and utterly untrustworthy and definitely not above lying?
"I will finish the painting. Of a cold, dark, and very gentle place. So that it might make a home for someone, someday" - The Painter

The One Guy

Quote from: Genesis on May 08, 2018, 06:33:43 PM

Buuut wasn't that Aniz at that point? Who is completely and utterly untrustworthy and definitely not above lying?

True, but it was apparently a believable lie, one that others may have thought about Dan too.

Nightmask

Quote from: Genesis on May 08, 2018, 06:33:43 PM

Lies work best with some truth involved.  Magic resulting in strange mutations is likely quite true, the only lie being that ABEL got his wings because of that.  It's the best way to cover up something, point to something that's true and suggest that this is another case of that instead of being something else entirely.

Akisohida

My take on the flashback(s)?

Reg is used to DEMON social cues. Even if Wildy's mom was 'distrustful but polite', Reg would take it as 'super mom' because she's not being rude by DEMON STANDARDS.

And she may have been cooking the cookies, when Dan and Reg showed up.

..And since Demons think so little of beings, she remembered the cookies MORE than Wildy's mom, and thus 'cool mom' already had the cookies in her memory, even if they were still cooking when it all went down in reality.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Jasonrevall

Not sure if anyone's pointed this out yet but I just realized the tint of the flashbacks match the colors of their eyes respectively. Sorry if I'm late to the party on that.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Drakkenmensch

Quote from: Jasonrevall on May 10, 2018, 02:25:18 AM
Not sure if anyone's pointed this out yet but I just realized the tint of the flashbacks match the colors of their eyes respectively. Sorry if I'm late to the party on that.

I realize it's a coincidence, but their respective memory colors make it clear that Dan has a jaded view on these events while Regina has a rose-tinted glasses perspective. It just ends up adding more dramatic depth to their rashomoning of the day where Wildy's mother died.

(edit: don't know where my head was mixing up character names like that)