PonyPonyPonyPonyHorsePonyBlahBlahBlah

Started by Hariman, March 13, 2018, 12:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hariman

"I ripped a pig to pieces in an alley then incinerated the corpse."

Also, I find horses to be reasonably friendly and fun to be around. They're also better company than some people I know, but that's not hard, in certain cases.

Also also... as someone who had a hoof shaped bruise on his arm that took two and a half months to heal fully, including bruising that went down deep enough to be next to the bone... and had that arm be the only thing between my face and the hoof at the time... 

Yeah. I'm not helping the scary horses thing.

I've worked with horses, so have only the justified caution of working around an animal that's typically around 5 times my weight and size, but being a little scared of horses makes a little more sense to me now, with some reflection.

Funny thing: I find actual ponies ("horses" under a certain height) to often be worse to be around than even the larger or more cantankerous horses, because ponies often have worse attitudes than horses due to being raised and trained differently.

Unless they're pastel friendship ponies. Those are just entertaining.

Quote from: Tuyu on March 12, 2018, 11:57:10 PM
...because sometimes, being a demon is,"Kill kill kill kill maim maim maim kill kill maim kill kill kill kill maim kill kill kill I shirt for no one kill kill kill maim maim maim kill kill maim kill kill kill kill maim kill kill kill..."

Fixed that for you. For varying values of fixed. ;p

But... yeah. Old school demons have a bit of a murdering problem. :P
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

keybounce

Quote from: Hariman on March 13, 2018, 12:28:00 AM
Funny thing: I find actual ponies ("horses" under a certain height) to often be worse to be around than even the larger or more cantankerous horses, because ponies often have worse attitudes than horses due to being raised and trained differently.

Only about 6 to 9 of them are actually kind like that. There's plenty of mean and cruel pastel ponies with side marks.

Even then, even the best of the friendship ponies have major problems. I mean one of them even thinks that friendship is about magic, but if you look at her behavior, she's actually about giving people second chances.

Prroul

Quote from: Hariman on March 13, 2018, 12:28:00 AMAlso, I find horses to be reasonably friendly and fun to be around. They're also better company than some people I know, but that's not hard, in certain cases.

Also also... as someone who had a hoof shaped bruise on his arm that took two and a half months to heal fully, including bruising that went down deep enough to be next to the bone... and had that arm be the only thing between my face and the hoof at the time... 

I've worked with horses, so have only the justified caution of working around an animal that's typically around 5 times my weight and size, but being a little scared of horses makes a little more sense to me now, with some reflection.

I used to train Arabs for show. Most of them were very sweet, but there were a couple of very neurotic ones you had to watch out for. All of them were surprisingly intelligent. One of them could even undo the latches on the stalls and the pasture gate, we actually had to start locking them with a combination lock to keep him from wandering into the next yard.

You have to respect an animal capable of putting you on your backside. Having said that, you absolutely cannot be afraid of them if you want to work with them, because they WILL pick up on that fear. Horses are kind of like kids: expect anything out of them, and you'll probably get it.

One horse, I remember, had a really bad first trainer, and came to us extremely neurotic. Way past nervous, if a guy got anywhere near her, she went absolutely nuts, but women were okay. It took me five years just to get to the point where she would let me give her hay without trying to rip my arm off. But for one of the female trainers? She was the sweetest disposition you could ever ask for. But, understanding that, I wasn't stupid enough to try to get into her stall while she was there, I wasn't stupid enough to spook her, I was very aware of where she was in relation to where I was, and made sure that I wasn't going to interfere with anyone else handling her. I also wanted to go back and beat the SOB who did that to her within an inch of his life, but you can't have everything.

Heck, I remember one, her dam got spooked into a barbed wire fence and caused her to go into labor early, so she was only like 14.1 hands, so she wasn't considered for show, but she was almost like a dog in her affection. She would follow 'her' people around, ask for petting, absolutely adored getting currycombed (and would go roll around in the dirt to try to get more brushing). We used her to get kids used to horses.

The only time I actually got kicked, the horse was already nervous, and I was refilling the water trough, and he apparently mistook the hose for a snake. Fortunately, I caught it square in the chest, and caught the wooden fence behind me flat-backed, which helped prevent a concussion. But yea... it's not the sort of thing I'd recommend as a recreational activity. I was just lucky I knew how to roll with the blow, it could've collapsed my ribcage if I had taken it badly. I still had a hoof print on my chest for three or four months. He was our 15.3 hand 'big guy' (for an arab, at least, that's HUGE, but he had the papers showing pure arab blood, although I would swear he had some Tennessee Walker in him somewhere.

Of course, I cheat. I have carrot slices in my pockets, and they know I have them, so they are very well behaved so they can get their treat.

Merlin

Quote from: Prroul on March 13, 2018, 09:02:00 PM
Quote from: Hariman on March 13, 2018, 12:28:00 AMAlso, I find horses to be reasonably friendly and fun to be around. They're also better company than some people I know, but that's not hard, in certain cases.

I used to train Arabs for show. Most of them were very sweet, but there were a couple of very neurotic ones you had to watch out for. All of them were surprisingly intelligent. One of them could even undo the latches on the stalls and the pasture gate, we actually had to start locking them with a combination lock to keep him from wandering into the next yard.

You have to respect an animal capable of putting you on your backside. Having said that, you absolutely cannot be afraid of them if you want to work with them, because they WILL pick up on that fear. Horses are kind of like kids: expect anything out of them, and you'll probably get it.

One horse, I remember, had a really bad first trainer, and came to us extremely neurotic. Way past nervous, if a guy got anywhere near her, she went absolutely nuts, but women were okay. It took me five years just to get to the point where she would let me give her hay without trying to rip my arm off. But for one of the female trainers? She was the sweetest disposition you could ever ask for. But, understanding that, I wasn't stupid enough to try to get into her stall while she was there, I wasn't stupid enough to spook her, I was very aware of where she was in relation to where I was, and made sure that I wasn't going to interfere with anyone else handling her. I also wanted to go back and beat the SOB who did that to her within an inch of his life, but you can't have everything.

Heck, I remember one, her dam got spooked into a barbed wire fence and caused her to go into labor early, so she was only like 14.1 hands, so she wasn't considered for show, but she was almost like a dog in her affection. She would follow 'her' people around, ask for petting, absolutely adored getting currycombed (and would go roll around in the dirt to try to get more brushing). We used her to get kids used to horses.

The only time I actually got kicked, the horse was already nervous, and I was refilling the water trough, and he apparently mistook the hose for a snake. Fortunately, I caught it square in the chest, and caught the wooden fence behind me flat-backed, which helped prevent a concussion. But yea... it's not the sort of thing I'd recommend as a recreational activity. I was just lucky I knew how to roll with the blow, it could've collapsed my ribcage if I had taken it badly. I still had a hoof print on my chest for three or four months. He was our 15.3 hand 'big guy' (for an arab, at least, that's HUGE, but he had the papers showing pure arab blood, although I would swear he had some Tennessee Walker in him somewhere.

Of course, I cheat. I have carrot slices in my pockets, and they know I have them, so they are very well behaved so they can get their treat.

one time I saw a horse

Hariman

Quote from: Prroul on March 13, 2018, 09:02:00 PM

My parents have mainly appaloosas and arabians, and use some of them for pony/horse rides. Most of them were quite reliable, and the few that weren't were never used for said horse rides.

The most reliable horses we had at the time were actually the smartest. Especially the old appaloosa mare, Ladygrace. Or just Lady. She didn't open the gates, but that was because the latches were always on the outside of the pasture, and nigh impossible to reach for the horses. But she was rather tricky to handle, and you had to both know what you were doing and as you said, have no fear.

That old horse could tell the difference between a skilled rider and an amateur, and NEVER acted up when there was a child on her back. She was literally bombproof too, as she only shied a few inches sideways when a firework was test fired on the other side of a football field.

One of the horses acquired was an abuse case. She wasn't as 100% distrustful as the horse you had and worked with, but she did NOT trust me either, and I knew better than to try to handle her too.

Not all of the horses were as smart as that one, but a few of them were close.

We also had a blind arabian stallion that used to be a show horse, who was actually the best behaved of all the horses we had. (He went blind from an infection colloquially called moon blindness.)

Quote from: keybounce on March 13, 2018, 03:38:00 PM
Quote from: Hariman on March 13, 2018, 12:28:00 AM

Only about 6 to 9 of them are actually kind like that. There's plenty of mean and cruel pastel ponies with side marks.

Even then, even the best of the friendship ponies have major problems. I mean one of them even thinks that friendship is about magic, but if you look at her behavior, she's actually about giving people second chances.

Like I said. Entertaining.

But yeah, no arguments here about those pastel friendship ponies needing therapy, and not all of them being good. Especially that pink one with her codependency and abandonment issues.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

Tempestfury

Or, you know. The friendly pastal ponies can be just friendly pastal ponies that as mortal beings have some flaws but don't need therapy for huge mental issues that aren't actually there?

Hariman

Quote from: Tempestfury on March 15, 2018, 05:07:38 AM
Or, you know. The friendly pastal ponies can be just friendly pastal ponies that as mortal beings have some flaws but don't need therapy for huge mental issues that aren't actually there?

I might be exaggerating a little on the "Needs therapy." part. It's not really everyone being that bad among the pastel friendship ponies.

Most of them just need to work to keep flaws in check, and to not let those flaws run rampant.

Especially Pinkie, who I will argue does have the aforementioned codependency and abandonment issues. Her nigh instant panic and rush to the worst case scenario assumptions speak of her troubles with trusting people to be there for her, and too much reliance on the smiles of others for her own happiness.

I will admit that Pinkie has gotten a bit better over time, and isn't as bad anymore.

keybounce

As long as we are on the subject, how can multi-thousand year old princesses, adult businesswomen, and military school people all wind up in the same high school?

For that matter, where does Sunset live? And why is there not a twin of her?

Hariman

Quote from: keybounce on March 15, 2018, 11:27:56 PM
As long as we are on the subject, how can multi-thousand year old princesses, adult businesswomen, and military school people all wind up in the same high school?

For that matter, where does Sunset live? And why is there not a twin of her?

Plot Convenience, Plot Convenience Boarding House, and Sunset Shimmer's twin is probably super far away, or something.

keybounce

Boarding House? Cantorlot High being a boarding house school?

That makes as much sense as Twilight be able to sleep overnight in the library without being noticed.

Hariman

Quote from: keybounce on March 20, 2018, 12:42:43 AM
Boarding House? Cantorlot High being a boarding house school?

That makes as much sense as Twilight be able to sleep overnight in the library without being noticed.

Well, it IS implied that Twilight had the run of the Library while in Canterlot by that time travel episode where she dresses like Solid Snake.

I think Sunset Shimmer has an apartment or that there is a boarding house she stays in.

It is one of those nagging details though.

keybounce

the issue is that twilight did not have the run of the  Cantorlot high school library. Yet she still slept there.

Mao

This seems like the wrong place to have an mlp discussion.

Darkmoon

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say there is never a right time or place for a My Little Pony discussion.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Dishonored

Quote from: Darkmoon on March 21, 2018, 07:52:05 PM
I'm willing to go out on a limb and say there is never a right time or place for a My Little Pony discussion.

*snerk* 
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

nevwyn

It is always the right place for a MLP discussion.

Sunset does have a flat of some kind she rents, you see it in one of the EQG shorts that came out last summer.
How Twilight managed to sleep at the school is beyond anyone's guess, but honestly the bigger question is, why was an unregistered youth claiming to have had her property stolen by one of your students required to attend your school for a week to win her property back? The old crown was some cheap party store item Twilight's crown was made from actual precious metals and gems.

llearch n'n'daCorna

This is a much better place for a MLP discussion. You're welcome.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears