2018-03-12 [DMFA# 1825] Kill, be killed, or cheat

Started by Tapewolf, March 12, 2018, 09:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I like Viv's idea.  Regina isn't the only one who wishes they'd thought of that.
Demon brutality culture is presumably tens of thousands of years old, so presumably some people have done that before.  It'd make more sense if you took the head or something as proof.
Unless cheating the system is also considered cool among demonkind.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Prroul

I think it's like... establishing your reputation. It's not necessarily what you have *done* so much as what people believe you have done. If people believe that you not only made off with a very powerful creature, but did so in such a subtle fashion that no one realized he was dead until you admitted to the crime... people are NOT going to want to screw with you, as long as that is their belief, even if said creature had a heart attack or something and you stumbled across him and went 'hey... time to stake a claim!'.

Of course, this could probably backfire, because putting yourself at the head of such a competitive and cutthroat business will mark you as a target for any young upstarts who want to make a name for themselves, so you'd best back at least part of your claim. Think of it like Godfather-esque Don-hood. When everyone respects you, you're the Don. When someone tries to rub you out to take your place, you'd best have a plan for that, or your Don-hood will be very, very brief.

Dishonored

Quote from: Prroul on March 12, 2018, 10:00:22 AM
When everyone respects you, you're the Don. When someone tries to rub you out to take your place, you'd best have a plan for that, or your Don-hood will be very, very brief.

And now I have "Padrino" stuck in my head.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Shakal

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 12, 2018, 09:48:46 AM
I like Viv's idea.  Regina isn't the only one who wishes they'd thought of that.
Demon brutality culture is presumably tens of thousands of years old, so presumably someone people have done that before.  It'd make more sense if you took the head or something as proof.
Unless cheating the system is also considered cool among demonkind.

Presumably though, it's in your best interest not to let anyone know you came up with that idea, otherwise any rampages you've done will be called into question.

So the practice might even be somewhat widespread, but noone will ever openly talk about it.

Tuyu

...because sometimes, being a demon is,"Kill kill kill kill maim maim maim kill kill maim kill kill kill kill maim kill kill kill shopping kill kill kill maim maim maim kill kill maim kill kill kill kill maim kill kill kill..."

Dorje Sylas

Is this why some demons get violently defensive about their Rampages? They gotta protect their lie with a show of force to prove they're as tough as they say. Of course any demon that legitimately went on a Rampage would also have to defend itself in the same way.

I guess it comes down to making sure your lie is believable to your abilities. Ya don't want to oversell yourself and end up brawling with something way out of league later. Which is some Sun Tzu stuff about knowing yourself.

PhycoKrusk

Quote from: Hariman on March 13, 2018, 12:28:00 AM
"I ripped a pig to pieces in an alley then incinerated the corpse."
Incinerated nothing. These are demons we're talking about. Remember when Kria found out/decided that Grigori was a bum?

She ate him.

Any demon could go on a rampage, and when asked where the victims were, "Well, it seemed like an awful waste to just leave them there, and I had this new barbecue sauce I wanted to try, so...."