2018-03-02 [DMFA# 1822] Hopeful Beginnings

Started by MT Hazard, March 02, 2018, 01:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

I get the feeling that both started with decent intentions, which would make the subsequent story all the more tragic, how one freind became the monster and the other changed who they are to fight them.

On a side note Tolas looks like the most emo demon I've seen.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Cassi-kun

I like how the backgrounds come off from Dee and Tolas, leaving Dan and Regina literally in their shadows
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

The One Guy

So Dan knew his mother was a creature?  That makes him freaking out about being a cubi rather strange; I mean, he had to already know he was at least half-creature then, right?  I realize he can be clueless, but I didn't think he was THAT clueless.

Lego3400

Quote from: The One Guy on March 02, 2018, 06:22:58 PM
So Dan knew his mother was a creature?  That makes him freaking out about being a cubi rather strange; I mean, he had to already know he was at least half-creature then, right?  I realize he can be clueless, but I didn't think he was THAT clueless.

She showed her back wings in public, everyone was probably told she was an Angel.

Akisohida

Quote from: Lego3400 on March 02, 2018, 11:21:22 PM

She showed her back wings in public, everyone was probably told she was an Angel.

Yeah. He knew his mom was a Creature and, he once said 'All I got from mom was her backwings'.
He was probably told his mom was a creature with 'We will tell him you're/I'm a cubi when he gets older'. And then crap happened and he was never told just WHAT Creature type his mom was.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Nightmask

I seem to remember the flashback to when Destania met Dan's father it was clear to everyone in the Inn that she was a cubi (I even think he said something about 'if she wants to suck my soul out in the middle of the night it's my choice letting her stay').  In another flashback it seems obvious he knows his mother is a succubus.

mithril

Dan knew his mom was a succubus, but he was just not told anything about what that would mean for him. then Destania left, and the only other person who knew what it would mean was his sister.. who either never told Dan, or did tell Dan but at a time he wasn't listening at all.

FairWage22

What I find more interesting is the discussion about Tolas hitting an outpost... unless these things are pretty common, there's a certain other backstory that this would tie into, and just spread the tragedy all over the place.
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

The One Guy

Quote from: Akisohida on March 02, 2018, 11:28:35 PM

Yeah. He knew his mom was a Creature and, he once said 'All I got from mom was her backwings'.
He was probably told his mom was a creature with 'We will tell him you're/I'm a cubi when he gets older'. And then crap happened and he was never told just WHAT Creature type his mom was.

But I got the impression he wasn't freaking about about being an incubus so much as he was freaking out about being a creature.  He talks about why he hates being an incubus here.  Cubi being demons has been retconned away, but that just makes his speech to be about being a creature, because he never fought any cubi.

Also, he confirms he didn't think his mom was an angel here.

Quote from: mithril on March 03, 2018, 03:13:04 AM
Dan knew his mom was a succubus, but he was just not told anything about what that would mean for him. then Destania left, and the only other person who knew what it would mean was his sister.. who either never told Dan, or did tell Dan but at a time he wasn't listening at all.

So you're saying he knew his mom was a succubus, but didn't even consider the fact that your race is determined by your parents' races?

Actually that's seeming more and more likely the more I look into it...

Tuyu

Quote from: Wageslave94 on March 03, 2018, 03:46:06 AM
What I find more interesting is the discussion about Tolas hitting an outpost... unless these things are pretty common, there's a certain other backstory that this would tie into, and just spread the tragedy all over the place.
That was over 350 years ago. I don't think Regina's that old, and I don't get the impression she's talking about something that happened before she was born.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on March 03, 2018, 06:38:07 PM
That was over 350 years ago. I don't think Regina's that old, and I don't get the impression she's talking about something that happened before she was born.

She's not.  She's about 23.  But that doesn't mean that her brother is the same age.  Dark Peg is nearly twice Kria's age, for example.  With long-lived races you can have quite an age difference with siblings.

That said, I think you're correct.  Looking at Abel's Story, when Kria is given a dressing-down (by Dark Pegasus?) it is mentioned that Selev died in the outpost, and his brother fled, pursued by Glory.
However, there is no Selev on the family tree, and Regina has no other known siblings: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1621.php

...which makes it look like outpost-bashing is a common exercise for demons coming of age.  Which kind of makes sense in a way, since the owners of that territory will tend to fix them up and repopulate them, providing a handy source of targets for the next generation.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nightmask

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 03, 2018, 07:07:29 PM
Quote from: Tuyu on March 03, 2018, 06:38:07 PM

She's not.  She's about 23.  But that doesn't mean that her brother is the same age.  Dark Peg is nearly twice Kria's age, for example.  With long-lived races you can have quite an age difference with siblings.

That said, I think you're correct.  Looking at Abel's Story, when Kria is given a dressing-down (by Dark Pegasus?) it is mentioned that Selev died in the outpost, and his brother fled, pursued by Glory.
However, there is no Selev on the family tree, and Regina has no other known siblings: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1621.php

...which makes it look like outpost-bashing is a common exercise for demons coming of age.  Which kind of makes sense in a way, since the owners of that territory will tend to fix them up and repopulate them, providing a handy source of targets for the next generation.

So the demon equivalent of hitting up the local dungeon crawl?

katasev

Imma throw it out there that Alexsi did indeed know exactly what Destania and Dan were, but didn't tell Dan because she didn't want him to freak out. As to telling the Amazons "I have no idea why everyone jumps to that conclusion" - well, knowing Dee had backwings doesn't mean he knew she was necessarily a succubus, especially considering the hard time he had letting go of his "all succubi/incubi are evil demons who only want to inflict pain" philosophy, even when pertaining to himself. After all, same as with Abel, his dad WAS an adventurer, and thus subject to all kinds of weird leftover magic residue. "Our kid has wings. That's all. It doesn't make him an angel."