New Skins Added

Started by Darkmoon, July 05, 2017, 01:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

As you may have noticed the look of this place has changed. I finally got around to fixing the skins (as in adding new ones and adjusting the old ones). Because of that we finally have a dark skin again (which makes me very happy).

Now, not to worry, you can still go into your profile (look and layout settings) and find all the old skins you preferred. There's also a new light-purple skin that's been added for all you DMFA fans.

Down the road (once I feel like mucking about with them again) I will be making a dark red and a dark purple skin to compliment the lighter versions. For now, enjoy the two new options and let me know if you find any issues. ;)
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Foxx Trotter

Looks great. :) I did notice some user avis not showing up, although some of them could be host issues on their end. That's what I had with Photosuckit, so I ended up removing mine a few weeks ago.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Foxx Trotter on July 05, 2017, 01:42:31 PM
Looks great. :) I did notice some user avis not showing up, although some of them could be host issues on their end. That's what I had with Photosuckit, so I ended up removing mine a few weeks ago.

Anyone in particular?  From what I've heard Photobucket is showing some kind of generic image rather than just 404'ing them.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aisha deCabre

That happened to me too a while back...it's why I changed my avatar to a slightly older one I had on Photobucket, because that one refused to keep showing up for some reason. :/  Heh, I feel I need to make a new one anyway at some point.

As for skins, YAY, I definitely liked the darker ones, glad they're coming back. XD
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Foxx Trotter

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 05, 2017, 02:25:59 PM

Anyone in particular?  From what I've heard Photobucket is showing some kind of generic image rather than just 404'ing them.

Keybounce, Alondro, Caswin, Lurkie and Wageslave94 to name five.

Darkmoon

The skins are all just HTML and CSS so I don't know why they'd affect people's avatars. I'm willing to bet it's a local hosting issue on their end that just happened to coincide with the timing of my update. As Tape noted, Photobucket has recently changed some of their use policies.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Foxx Trotter on July 05, 2017, 02:52:35 PM
Keybounce, Alondro, Caswin, Lurkie and Wageslave94 to name five.

Keybounce and Alondro's are coming off furfire.org which is 404'ing and likely has done so for several years.
Caswin and Lurkie are coming off imageshack, and again they're returning 404.
Wageslave is coming off deviantart and I'd be amazed if that ever worked.

Bizarrely, MT Hazard's av is working despite being on Photobucket, but I wouldn't bank on that staying the case.

Either way, it's nothing to do with the skins.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Foxx Trotter

In other words, it tends to be a crapshoot. :rolleyes  I'm sure I can, hopefully, find a more reliable image host site down the road.  Thanks for checking.

Darkmoon

Build your own website. ;) That's how I leech all my image hosting -- I just dump a "sig" folder onto one of the sites I'm running. I will note that you can get cheap hosting from a number of places (just a few bucks a month). I go through RCSI Hosting (home of Clickthulu #shamelessplug) and while they aren't rock-bottom cheap (although at $5 still pretty reasonable) their uptime is top-notch.

The One Guy

I just use Imgur; it's pretty reliable.  Though I don't see why DeviantArt wouldn't work; Wageslave94 is just linking to the page rather than the image for some reason.

Darkmoon

I wholeheartedly distrust third-party image hosts. I've had it happen too many times where I'd host at a place and then they'd change their terms of service and block the sites I was trying to display at. After a few of those times I gave up and did my own thing. Only way to be safe.

Foxx Trotter

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 05, 2017, 07:24:05 PM
Build your own website. ;) That's how I leech all my image hosting -- I just dump a "sig" folder onto one of the sites I'm running. I will note that you can get cheap hosting from a number of places (just a few bucks a month). I go through RCSI Hosting (home of Clickthulu #shamelessplug) and while they aren't rock-bottom cheap (although at $5 still pretty reasonable) their uptime is top-notch.

Yeah, I had a website years ago through Yahoo! for a totally different set of things other than artworks. You're right about having your own spot for placing images without actually having to go through a third party...taken that route before. I eventually moved my stuff over to Panoramio though as I got more visits there than on my own site based its workings and associations at the time.  Unfortunately, Google has since terminated Panoramio.

Anyway, having an avatar is not a priority issue for me right now.  I'll look into it later.

Darkmoon

As a note, Cursed Prison (dark purple) and Battle Arena (dark red) have now made their return. I'm trying to see if I can find a classic style skin updated for SMF 2.0 so I can bring back the old Banquet skin. Dunno if it'll be possible, but let me look.

Are there any other skin variations people would like?

Edit: Sadly, it looks as though no one has made a proper "classic" theme for SMF 2.0. I'll keep the banquet graphics around in case I find a skin I can use some day, but for now Banquet is dead.

Mao

Ah, cursed prison~  don't mind if I do!

Darkmoon

I did so miss these...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 06, 2017, 11:08:15 AM
I did so miss these...

I didn't. But then, I wouldn't, would I? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

You're a programmer. Making things pretty isn't your primary concern.

Sprocketsdance

Hey now, I'm sure he makes things pretty in the back...

Darkmoon

YEAH HE DOES! *highfive*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sprocketsdance on July 07, 2017, 07:42:39 AM
Hey now, I'm sure he makes things pretty in the back...

hur hur hur.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears