Future side comics

Started by PalmettoPaladin, November 29, 2016, 07:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PalmettoPaladin

I do apologize if I put this in the wrong place as I couldn't figure out where to put it. 

After reading some of the side comics, I actually think we could use some more side comics.   I mean Project Future has like a dozen or so side comics giving some background info on the setting and characters.

My top one would be one of about Cyra and how she became a tri-wing.

Another one is how Siar and Seme fell in love (doubtful on this one but hey one can only hope right?)

I would love to see one of Regina and what she did to the main cast. 

Anyone else have any ideas?

Again I'm sorry if I posted something that's been posted before but I didn't see one on side comics.

Now one thing I should point out: I'm not trying to force Amber into doing this.  It's just a fun idea that I thought would be good and try to connect with my fellow DMFA fans.  Plus who knows maybe Amber might use an idea from here. 

I will say that if it does devolve into a flame war I'll ask the mods to lock this topic down and remove it completely. Yeah I know harsh but remember no one likes a flame war: unless you're on Call of Duty and using a flamethrower.

Cassi-kun

There's been some requests for Regina and Fa'Lina stories in the past, as well as Dan's pre-comic adventures (like the time he defeated an army of Death Knights with only a spork). I'm a sucker for anything sad so I'd like to see a story about May's life after Aniz took Abel away, too. And honestly, I'd like to see comics about ALL the official leaders' ascensions, even if we only get three to four pages per leader, since that would still make around forty to fifty pages.

But I don't think Amber officially takes suggestions on what the side stories should be. Also, a lot of the content in the Demo 101 pages are released in a similar style to the side stories, since they and the side stories all full under the "bonus content" umbrella. So we might also get more history or culture lessons about Furrae in the future, which would also be cool!
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

PalmettoPaladin

Quote from: Cassi-kun on November 29, 2016, 07:40:31 PM
There's been some requests for Regina and Fa'Lina stories in the past, as well as Dan's pre-comic adventures (like the time he defeated an army of Death Knights with only a spork). I'm a sucker for anything sad so I'd like to see a story about May's life after Aniz took Abel away, too. And honestly, I'd like to see comics about ALL the official leaders' ascensions, even if we only get three to four pages per leader, since that would still make around forty to fifty pages.

But I don't think Amber officially takes suggestions on what the side stories should be. Also, a lot of the content in the Demo 101 pages are released in a similar style to the side stories, since they and the side stories all full under the "bonus content" umbrella. So we might also get more history or culture lessons about Furrae in the future, which would also be cool!

Good point.  Yeah i would like to see some side stories of Fa'Lina, and it would be nice, but I understand that doing the main comic and even one side comic would be overwhelming, especially since I think Amber does commissions as well.

Speaking of the Demo 101 stuff, I haven't seen any updates on it since I first found DMFA back in....let's see...since the second or third page of Chapter 24, Return of Dark Pegasus.  Yeah I've been with DMFA for a long time now.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 29, 2016, 07:48:34 PMSpeaking of the Demo 101 stuff, I haven't seen any updates on it since I first found DMFA back in....let's see...since the second or third page of Chapter 24, Return of Dark Pegasus.  Yeah I've been with DMFA for a long time now.
Well, Abel's Story ran from 2005 to 2010, so it ended about three years after you started reading. Mink's report on the Cubi Clan Leaders was in 2013, since the page on Quoar went up the same week Dan asked who he was at the meeting. And then Matilda's story ran for about a year, 2013-2014. The Wallpaper Wars archive don't have dates on them so it's not quite clear when any of them ran. And there's usually a significant gap between projects other than the main comic.

PalmettoPaladin

Quote from: Cassi-kun on November 29, 2016, 07:58:43 PM
Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 29, 2016, 07:48:34 PMSpeaking of the Demo 101 stuff, I haven't seen any updates on it since I first found DMFA back in....let's see...since the second or third page of Chapter 24, Return of Dark Pegasus.  Yeah I've been with DMFA for a long time now.
Well, Abel's Story ran from 2005 to 2010, so it ended about three years after you started reading. Mink's report on the Cubi Clan Leaders was in 2013, since the page on Quoar went up the same week Dan asked who he was at the meeting. And then Matilda's story ran for about a year, 2013-2014. The Wallpaper Wars archive don't have dates on them so it's not quite clear when any of them ran. And there's usually a significant gap between projects other than the main comic.

Ah okay.  That makes sense. 

Come to think of it, I know that some webcomic artists have asked for help with side comics and so while the webcomics creator doesn't draw them or write the dialogue, they do dictate the story and decide whether to Okay it or ask for changes.  I can't think of any examples I'm afraid but that would be a good idea to help Amber out.  Just a thought (and besides this is the time of the year to get into the spirit of giving!).

Anyhow, a story that talked about the day to day routines for clan leaders would be cool, giving us a chance to see more of how cubi live.  And while it's fun to see how Daryill I'm curious to see how the other clan leaders live their daily lives. 

Now that I think about it, does Daryill go to the clan meetings or does he send a representative?

Cassi-kun

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 29, 2016, 08:11:09 PMNow that I think about it, does Daryill go to the clan meetings or does he send a representative?
Oooooh. Good question.

I need to figure out which of my clan leaders attend and who send representatives, too.

Tapewolf

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 29, 2016, 08:11:09 PM
Anyhow, a story that talked about the day to day routines for clan leaders would be cool, giving us a chance to see more of how cubi live.  And while it's fun to see how Daryill I'm curious to see how the other clan leaders live their daily lives. 

Now that I think about it, does Daryill go to the clan meetings or does he send a representative?

If the clan leader meetings still occur after Daryil's ascension, he would probably go in avatar.  (Unless the others objected in which case he'd send an envoy, probably Jakob)

e.g.  http://www.furaffinity.net/view/10770766/
This was written after Zezzuva's curt reply to Mink, and contains a rude gesture.  Obviously that was before we learned that Z would be replacing herself with a successor.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Merlin

I'm sure everybody would love to see more side comics. There's so many more stories that could be told! But... of course there's only so many hours in the day, and comics take time, so of course it's understandable that there's only been a few side comics. I would also love to see a Regina one - though when that vote came around I voted Abel, because Regina hadn't been in the comic as much then.

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 29, 2016, 08:11:09 PM
Come to think of it, I know that some webcomic artists have asked for help with side comics and so while the webcomics creator doesn't draw them or write the dialogue, they do dictate the story and decide whether to Okay it or ask for changes.  I can't think of any examples I'm afraid but that would be a good idea to help Amber out.  Just a thought (and besides this is the time of the year to get into the spirit of giving!).

I could think of a few examples, and personally I find that sort of thing a lot of fun myself, but really that's up to Amber too! I could think of a lot of reasons why she wouldn't want to do that too.

Abel's story was fantastic, Matilda's story was stupendous, I think that's a good way to cap off the post ;)

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 30, 2016, 03:46:06 AM
If the clan leader meetings still occur after Daryil's ascension, he would probably go in avatar.  (Unless the others objected in which case he'd send an envoy, probably Jakob)

He can't be much worse than Dimanika.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Merlin on November 30, 2016, 03:49:14 AM
I'm sure everybody would love to see more side comics. There's so many more stories that could be told! But... of course there's only so many hours in the day, and comics take time, so of course it's understandable that there's only been a few side comics. I would also love to see a Regina one - though when that vote came around I voted Abel, because Regina hadn't been in the comic as much then.

If she makes her $1500/month Patreon goal, the comic will update 3 times a week, so it's not impossible we could see a side story then.  She'd have to double the amount she's currently receiving, though.

Shadowdancer

Poor Amber has already sold her soul to the comic. I would like more, but remember, she IS human (I think!)

As for side arc suggestions, she has created such a rich and varied world, that there is no end of interesting side arcs. Will we never get to see the first time Dan lost his feathers *sob*  :cry
The most powerful magic is just a distraction.

PalmettoPaladin

Quote from: Shadowdancer on November 30, 2016, 03:58:25 PM
Poor Amber has already sold her soul to the comic. I would like more, but remember, she IS human (I think!)

As for side arc suggestions, she has created such a rich and varied world, that there is no end of interesting side arcs. Will we never get to see the first time Dan lost his feathers *sob*  :cry
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 30, 2016, 04:30:32 AM
Quote from: Merlin on November 30, 2016, 03:49:14 AM

If she makes her $1500/month Patreon goal, the comic will update 3 times a week, so it's not impossible we could see a side story then.  She'd have to double the amount she's currently receiving, though.

You know it's odd that you mentioned about her updating the comic three times per week. I could have sworn that it did.  So I was actually surprised that it only updates on Mondays and Fridays.  Of course I could be thinking of another webcomic so it's cool. 

But yeah I know what you two mean.  I know that the wallpaper contests really helped her out a great deal so her patreon is probably doing the same thing.  Looks like I got another person to donate to.  :mowhappy

Anyhow, it's amazing on what the characters have been through.  i got to say that page 1000 in which Dan finally met his grandmother Cyra was a blast and probably one we won't forget.  Also I hope we see more of Cyra (crosses fingers and hopes she lives through this second war).

Tapewolf

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 30, 2016, 06:30:56 PM
You know it's odd that you mentioned about her updating the comic three times per week. I could have sworn that it did.  So I was actually surprised that it only updates on Mondays and Fridays.  Of course I could be thinking of another webcomic so it's cool. 

It did, yes - but at that time it was using the 3-panel format.  Each page now is about the same size as a whole week's worth of updates back then.

PalmettoPaladin

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 30, 2016, 07:06:03 PM
Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 30, 2016, 06:30:56 PM

It did, yes - but at that time it was using the 3-panel format.  Each page now is about the same size as a whole week's worth of updates back then.

Ah I see.  Well that makes sense then.  Now hopefully we'll see more of the campus.  Hm...now that I think about it, when did Keaton leave SAIA?  Also doesn't Fairwater have children?  I could be wrong though.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 29, 2016, 07:16:04 PM
I will say that if it does devolve into a flame war I'll ask the mods to lock this topic down and remove it completely. Yeah I know harsh but remember no one likes a flame war: unless you're on Call of Duty and using a flamethrower.

Actually, we like flamewars. It makes the forumgoers taste spicy.

And, of course, we always win. We have bigger flamethrowers. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears