2016/11/21 [DMFA #1712] - It had to come up eventually

Started by Tapewolf, November 21, 2016, 09:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Seems a little anticlimactic to be brought out of SAIA just to be asked that annoying question...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Prroul

Yea, was wondering when that was gonna come up.

Granted, they've got a point. Cyra is two assassinations short of pulling a Fa'lina. While you don't want to dilute the gene pool too much, you also don't want to be critically endangered. Especially not when really powerful dragons have a vested interest in your clan's extermination.

And really, it does solve the conundrum. Dan has a kid with... someone. Kid gets dropped off at SAIA. Dan can now afford to risk his life to see his clan is safe without risking the end of the clan. If he dies, the kid either gets to pull a 'you killed my father, prepare to die' or if it was a sacrifice play that was successful, the kid can at least be secure in the knowledge that his father died to keep him safe. Which still sucks, but not nearly as much as, say, Abel's issues with HIS father.

I wonder if Taun would've offered one of her daughters if he had been more receptive to the idea.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on November 21, 2016, 09:20:52 AM
I wonder if Taun would've offered one of her daughters if he had been more receptive to the idea.

The key point there is that we don't know whether Cyra or Taun clan would take precedence.  Both are Tri-winged clans, but we don't know enough about what counts as 'power' to determine which clan the child would belong to.
For instance, is Taun personally more powerful than Cyra, because she ascended in an age when magic was far, far stronger and Cyra did so in an age where you had to destroy a dragon and possibly an entire city just to scrape through the door?
Is Taun clan more powerful because there's hundreds of living members, or is Cyra's clan more powerful because her power is split between two people instead of hundreds?

Something that just occurred to me is this - Dan was an adventurer who did great deeds and got a fair bit of attention, if page 119 is still canon.  Being the impulsive sort, it's not impossible that he left a couple of winged children out there after celebrating a successful quest...

Prroul

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 21, 2016, 09:34:03 AM

The key point there is that we don't know whether Cyra or Taun clan would take precedence.  Both are Tri-winged clans, but we don't know enough about what counts as 'power' to determine which clan the child would belong to.
For instance, is Taun personally more powerful than Cyra, because she ascended in an age when magic was far, far stronger and Cyra did so in an age where you had to destroy a dragon and possibly an entire city just to scrape through the door?
Is Taun clan more powerful because there's hundreds of living members, or is Cyra's clan more powerful because her power is split between two people instead of hundreds?
While true, it can also be mitigated because once they have a child, both mother and, if necessary, child can convert over to Clan Cyra from Taun, due to having a blood relationship.

QuoteSomething that just occurred to me is this - Dan was an adventurer who did great deeds and got a fair bit of attention, if page 119 is still canon.  Being the impulsive sort, it's not impossible that he left a couple of winged children out there after celebrating a successful quest...
Dan didn't strike me as being this kind of stupid, but you raise a very good point here...

Tarakona

I just wanted to say, as someone who has chosen not to have children and faced decades of these types of questions, thank you and I love it.

Delian Williams

Hmmmm... Dan's reaction seems genuine, but considering who might have to draw cubi with ten limbs (6 arms/legs plus 4 wings) in the future, perhaps it's a self defense mechanism of Amber to keep her sanity ;3

Also: Maybe this time we'll find out how Faaaaaa- ends.

Truth be told, I'm starting to worry about Ray.

ishidan

If he dies, the kid either gets to pull a 'you killed my father, prepare to die'

"Congrats, it's a boy.  What will you name him?"
"...Inigo"
"Inigo?  I like it, it's like a mixture of 'start' and 'keep going'.  Ini like initiate, followed by g--"
"No no no, It's just that if I get killed I want my son to chase down my murderer and say, 'My name is Inigo Ti'fiona, you killed my father, prepare to die.'"
"Wha--"
"My name is Inigo Ti'fiona, you killed my father, prepare to die."
"Why are you saying it like that?"
"My name is Inigo Ti'fiona, you killed my father, prepare to die."
"STOP SAYING THAT!"
"Hee hee hee got you to say it!"

Techcubi

Do they have the indirect method of reproduction available on Furrae? You know, the one found in real life? Because, that could potentially make this situation easier for Dan, if he's not willing to go the normal route.

Cassi-kun

Saw it comin'! Saw it comin'!

With Taun's focus on growing Clan Cyra, she likely expects that any of her own children recruited into the offer to be okay with their children converting to Cyra. Or else she intends to aim Dan towards leaderless clans like Hrienth/etc. Of course once he mentions having a girlfriend she's going to interrogate him about that, too... Poor Dan.

However, I think Dan would want to be an active part of his children's lives regardless of the method they're conceived through, and he doesn't strike me as being particularly ready for that XD Especially not at a rate that would qualify as a population boom.

Though I do wonder how many clans would be on board with breeding into Cyra, and how many would try to betray him.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cassi-kun on November 21, 2016, 01:22:15 PM
With Taun's focus on growing Clan Cyra, she likely expects that any of her own children recruited into the offer to be okay with their children converting to Cyra. Or else she intends to aim Dan towards leaderless clans like Hrienth/etc. Of course once he mentions having a girlfriend she's going to interrogate him about that, too... Poor Dan.

Unless I'm much mistaken, switching clan reams you in a similar way to being cubified, i.e. you end up considerably less powerful than a 'cubi naturally born into that clan.  I think it's something more for the benefit of your children, or their children...

In any case, the obvious answer is for Dan to pair with a Being.  That'll be a guarantee that if they are born 'Cubi, they'll be born into Cyra Clan.  Also, Dan was brought up as a Being so he understands them well.  What Matilda will think of that is anyone's guess, and it would be hard to find someone who would willingly do that, 'Cubi not being popular.  Daryil's gambit of essentially paying someone to act as a surrogate mother might work, but you'd still have the possibility of them reporting it to Hizell for valuable cash prizes.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 21, 2016, 02:04:44 PMIn any case, the obvious answer is for Dan to pair with a Being.
He probably wouldn't object too much to being thrown at a pile of Amazons...

PalmettoPaladin

I figured this was why Taun wanted to meet Dan.  Also...Wait...oh snap!  Anyone getting the feeling that Taun might try to place matchmaker and see about hooking up Dan and Illiath together!?

But seriously, Dan does need to think about this.  While he might not want to even consider about having children, the fact that the future of his family and clan are at stake should make him realize that there are bigger things happening than him or whatever issues he has going on about being a cubi.  And frankly I think he needs to get over his issues with being cubi as now he is in danger of losing everyone and everything he loves and holds dear now that people know he exists. 

Plus there's the possibility that someone may die (cue the ominous music) from what we saw in as the dragon lord of all that is evil spied on Windy talking to Alexsi about a girls night out.  I just got this bad feeling that something evil will happen and it won't be good. 

Also I'm surprised that it never came up to have Alexsi become a cubi. 

Anyhow, Taun has a point: Daniel needs to be prepared for war and it's coming.  And I think it's about to start sooner than anyone would like. 

Cassi-kun

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 21, 2016, 03:21:19 PMAlso I'm surprised that it never came up to have Alexsi become a cubi. 
Edward would have to convert first, or else she'd need a child from another clan with a true Leader, because conversions can only be done through the direct bloodline.

Drakkenmensch

Quote from: Delian Williams on November 21, 2016, 11:02:26 AM
Maybe this time we'll find out how Faaaaaa- ends.

"...LINA!!! You planned this to see more cubi kids around the academy, didn't you!!!"

Lying Foo

I'm starting to wonder if they should think about freezing his seed.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Kajet

Quote from: Lying Foo on November 21, 2016, 08:37:49 PM
I'm starting to wonder if they should think about freezing his seed.

Well that brings up an interesting possibility: What if someone from Fa'lina's clan did that? Y'know before coming down with a case of being dead.

Somebodyelse

Quote from: Kajet on November 21, 2016, 10:33:52 PMWell that brings up an interesting possibility: What if someone from Fa'lina's clan did that? Y'know before coming down with a case of being dead.

Ok, so here's where my thought process went with that.

"I doubt they had those kind of 'banks' around, so maybe one of the males died in a icy area and got preserved."

"Can cubi traits even be passed on through residual DNA anyways?"

"Hell, then might as well cut out the middleman and start cloning them if cubi with their magical nature still have enough DNA for that to be possible."

So that's where I've arrived...

Clone Wars: Furrae edition

Merlin

If there's cloning in furrae, they're going to start by cloning a sheep, right?  :eager

Cassi-kun

Cloning on Furrae would likely be a high-intensity variant of regeneration magic, generating a full body from minimal pieces.

Kajet

Quote from: Merlin on November 22, 2016, 03:12:18 AM
If there's cloning in furrae, they're going to start by cloning a sheep, right?  :eager

If so I hope they'd do things a little differently than how we did... There is a very specific reason the first cloned sheep was named "Dolly" after all...

Lying Foo

Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

nevwyn

Is Taun offering? She has them good breeders hips. I mean I know clan leaders can't really do that, but how would that work if all clan leaders are actually giants. I mean mechanically that would be like tossing a hot dog into the grand canyon.

What about Dan becoming a robosexual? Would they be able to cubi'fy if they all share the same source code?

ZacAttac21

ishidan

Quote from: nevwyn on November 23, 2016, 12:12:50 AM
Is Taun offering? She has them good breeders hips. I mean I know clan leaders can't really do that, but how would that work if all clan leaders are actually giants. I mean mechanically that would be like tossing a hot dog into the grand canyon.

What about Dan becoming a robosexual? Would they be able to cubi'fy if they all share the same source code?

What about using an avatar?

MT Hazard

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

What's to say she's not doing that anyway?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kuzma Volkov

Quote from: Drakkenmensch on November 21, 2016, 07:15:02 PM
Quote from: Delian Williams on November 21, 2016, 11:02:26 AM
Maybe this time we'll find out how Faaaaaa- ends.

"...LINA!!! You planned this to see more cubi kids around the academy, didn't you!!!"

Said in the voice of Desi Arnaz from I love Lucy? <_<;;

PalmettoPaladin

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 23, 2016, 07:01:43 AM

What's to say she's not doing that anyway?

That's true. Heck I've been debating on whether I should create a cubi character, but I don't know what the rules are in creating one if there any rules.  I'm really jealous of y'all!  :mowsad

Ahem back on topic, I actually don't see any problem with Dan dating a Taun clan member.  In fact,  adventurers are well known to be quite the romantics.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 23, 2016, 10:28:19 PM
I've been debating on whether I should create a cubi character, but I don't know what the rules are in creating one if there any rules.
"Try not to contradict the comic toooooo much???" XD

Merlin

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 23, 2016, 10:28:19 PM
That's true. Heck I've been debating on whether I should create a cubi character, but I don't know what the rules are in creating one if there any rules.  I'm really jealous of y'all!  :mowsad

The rule is: you gotta do it! Just do it! Do it do it do it!!