2016/09/23 [DMFA #1697] That was quick

Started by Tapewolf, September 23, 2016, 06:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I guess it's clothes time now.
Though if I were Dan I'd still be a bit curious about how they get past the being-possessed-by-your-emotions thing that makes 'cubi such awful fighters in general.  I assume they must have some kind of training to work around it, else all the advanced combat training courses would be fairly useless.  In any case, that was one of the things that scared Dan into attending the academy in the first place.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Eboreg

I'm more of a mace/war-hammer guy myself, nothing beats that armor-piercing power combined with the ability to "only" crack ribs if you don't want to kill your opponent.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on September 23, 2016, 11:54:57 AM
I'm more of a mace/war-hammer guy myself, nothing beats that armor-piercing power combined with the ability to "only" crack ribs if you don't want to kill your opponent.

There's also projectile weapons (crossbows, arrows, spears, throwing axes, boomerangs), magic, and entire classes of unarmed stuff which we don't have, like pretending to be a Demon and giving yourself razor claws like DP nearly killed Dan with on at least two occasions.  Plus the whole angle of "So, does being 'cubi help or hinder the adventuring thing?"

Tarakona

Just get Daniel talking about the Death Knights he defeated with a spork.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tarakona on September 23, 2016, 12:23:30 PM
Just get Daniel talking about the Death Knights he defeated with a spork.
I still want to hear that story some day.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

ZacAttac21

Drako

Oh Fa'lina.  It's one thing to know something, it's quite something else to see/experience it.

justacritic

But but, there's so many swords to disagree about, like that nation to the east, they have curved swords curved swords

mithril

Quote from: justacritic on September 23, 2016, 06:57:23 PM
But but, there's so many swords to disagree about, like that nation to the east, they have curved swords curved swords

Long vs short
Single Edge vs Double Edge
One Hand vs Two Hand
Stabbing vs Slicing
Curved vs Straight
Basket Pommel vs Open Pommel

and that before even getting into metallurgy, blacksmithing methods, fighting styles..

Kajet

Maybe Dan's enjoyment of high heels would make for good conversation?

Tapewolf

Quote from: mithril on September 23, 2016, 08:41:17 PM
and that before even getting into metallurgy, blacksmithing methods, fighting styles..
...and enchantments...

As for long/short, 1H/2H and slicing/stabbing, I'd assume that a good adventurer will have some degree of skill with both.  Even if you don't use swords at all, a lot of adventurers are going to want some kind of blade, if only for cutting rope.  In PF, even bounty hunters using modern weapons still have a shortsword as a fallback.  They can't run out of ammo, and there are darker reasons involving bringing back proof of the kill.

Merlin

Quote from: Kajet on September 23, 2016, 08:46:57 PM
It might, but possibly not because they both share that interest...

KathYohneke

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 23, 2016, 06:08:11 AM
I guess it's clothes time now.
Though if I were Dan I'd still be a bit curious about how they get past the being-possessed-by-your-emotions thing that makes 'cubi such awful fighters in general.  I assume they must have some kind of training to work around it, else all the advanced combat training courses would be fairly useless.  In any case, that was one of the things that scared Dan into attending the academy in the first place.

Really if your properly trained martialy to begin with you kinda begin to stop fighting emotionally driven to begin with and let beaten in instinct take over. like dan. sure he got a bit emotional in the fights we seen him in since his cubiness poped up, but he still fought decently enough to fight well against a elder demon unarmed with little knowledge on how to fight with his tentaclewings.

Prroul

At least neither of them said "Welcome to Corneria" after "I like swords"... there is that.

Lying Foo

Quote from: Merlin on September 23, 2016, 09:16:59 PM
Quote from: Kajet on September 23, 2016, 08:46:57 PM
It might, but possibly not because they both share that interest...

The headwings, and everything I can find from PE, suggest she was raised Cubi... is it that uncommon for incubi to wear high heels?  Skirts we know don't get a second glance from anyone but Dan...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 25, 2016, 07:38:24 AM
The headwings, and everything I can find from PE, suggest she was raised Cubi... is it that uncommon for incubi to wear high heels?  Skirts we know don't get a second glance from anyone but Dan...

Not uncommon for Cubi. Perhaps uncommon for a Cubi who wears plate armour all the time, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 25, 2016, 07:38:24 AM

Nothing has really been written about Illiath's childhood, other than that her mother is from Taun's clan and her father an adventurer from Daryil clan.  Partly this is because I'm not sure if there's a standard Taun members clan usually bring their members up.  That said, you're likely to pull off the role of a Being warrior better if you thought you were one as a kid/teenager.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 25, 2016, 11:06:38 AM
Not uncommon for Cubi. Perhaps uncommon for a Cubi who wears plate armour all the time, though.

Indeed.  Illiath always struck me as the war-maiden type, which is why I panicked a little on seeing her apparently wearing Daryil gloves.  Even so, I would assume that like Dan, she has a pair of high-heeled boots and probably rollerblades as well for practicing balance.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 25, 2016, 11:57:51 AM
Indeed.  Illiath always struck me as the war-maiden type, which is why I panicked a little on seeing her apparently wearing Daryil gloves.  Even so, I would assume that like Dan, she has a pair of high-heeled boots and probably rollerblades as well for practicing balance.

Maybe the rollerblades. I suspect she might have a more useful, and better, idea about how to practice balance. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears