Beware MRSA...

Started by Alondro, August 19, 2015, 02:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Soooooo, about 3 weeks ago I got a 2 x 2 x 1 inch hole in my left thigh, thanks to the happy-fun bacteria known as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.

That rather sucked.  But, it was better than losing my leg, so all things considered...

Anyway, it's mending quickly, though I must be wary of reinfection.  I'm writing to warn people that this germ is becoming VERY common, and being healthy doesn't protect you.  It can infect ANYONE; so if you see a little bug bite or tiny pimple-like bump suddenly start to swell, do as I did and rush into the ER screaming, "OH MY GOD I HAVE MRSA AND I'M GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"  Then demand every antibiotic in existence, since at least one of em will work!

Unless it's a new strain resistant to everything.  Then yer doomed.  And so is everyone else.

I posted a pic of the hole on my Helix Splice Twitter feed two weeks ago!  So everyone who likes gross medical pictures can see!   :boogie
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

'course, hitting it with every antibiotic known to man is what made it resistant in the first place. So... yeah.

Me, I'd suggest pouring a little bleach on it and screaming and passing out. But, you know, whatever works for you. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

VAE

Quote from: Alondro on August 19, 2015, 02:17:30 PM
Soooooo, about 3 weeks ago I got a 2 x 2 x 1 inch hole in my left thigh, thanks to the happy-fun bacteria known as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.

That rather sucked.  But, it was better than losing my leg, so all things considered...

Anyway, it's mending quickly, though I must be wary of reinfection.  I'm writing to warn people that this germ is becoming VERY common, and being healthy doesn't protect you.  It can infect ANYONE; so if you see a little bug bite or tiny pimple-like bump suddenly start to swell, do as I did and rush into the ER screaming, "OH MY GOD I HAVE MRSA AND I'M GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"  Then demand every antibiotic in existence, since at least one of em will work!

Unless it's a new strain resistant to everything.  Then yer doomed.  And so is everyone else.

I posted a pic of the hole on my Helix Splice Twitter feed two weeks ago!  So everyone who likes gross medical pictures can see!   :boogie

Well, IIRC , golden staphylococcus tends to live in your body normally, just happily finding occassions (secondary infection) or skin/tissue damage to cause trouble. Not sure about the methicilin resistant variety.
And... oddly enough, boxy isn't wrong - IIRC bleaching wounds after debridement is sometimes done to rapidly progressing necrotic fasciitis as a means of attempting to halt the infection.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Alondro

One of the solutions I cleaned the wound with initially was Daikin's solution, which is basically diluted bleach.

It stings a lot.

But it hurt less than the infection, so I was ok with it.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: VAE on August 25, 2015, 09:45:03 AM
And... oddly enough, boxy isn't wrong - IIRC bleaching wounds after debridement is sometimes done to rapidly progressing necrotic fasciitis as a means of attempting to halt the infection.

Especially about the screaming bit afterwards. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

The MRSA had come back at the end of October, this time on my butt... with 10 separate boils...

Sooooo, after massive warfare against it this time, including a 9-day IV administration of the potent antibiotic vancomycin, 3 weeks on oral minocycline, and butt surgery, I'm healing once more and this time even MORE paranoid of germs than at any time of my life.

I've been bathing in dilute bleach once a week (which I thought I should do the first time but the doctors previously said it wasn't needed... this time they said I should.  Stupid doctors.) to keep all skin bacteria at a minimum for several months, then I'll attempt super-colonization with the harmless and helpful L. acidophilus by taking yogurt baths, which should outcompete any straggling staph bacteria.

Been taking huge amounts of probiotics, cleaning out sinuses as often as possible... basically anything and everything I can think of.

But it's very hard to be rid of MRSA.  It can survive almost anywhere with moisture. 

Ah, and a report just issued confirmed my suspicions from hearing of many cases from acquaintances:  MRSA cases are up sharply this year, and in completely healthy people, as I feared.  It's becoming more aggressive, though not more antibiotic resistant as yet, so I suspect a new strain has picked up a more potent toxin which completely blocks host immune responses.