A Poor Grots Warbike Project (Finished one 100 pound Bike Bomb) (non functional

Started by thegayhare, July 09, 2015, 11:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Hi Hi all

I posted a post recently asking if people thought a motorized bicycle version of a ork warbike would be cool or silly....   Silly one hands down but I decided since I was always gonna build the bike I should have fun with it and make it ork themed.

Granted this will not be as cool as the actual Ork Warbike build using a real motorcycle I saw on another site but it still should be cool

I'm thinking of trying something new in how I show of this one too.  So if your not into the project maybe you'll enjoy the fluff.

Urkar Mekwort pounded down the corridor.  He was lookin fer his lucky grot,  The Mekaniak had a new shoota he needed testin  and that grot was his good luck charm.  half da time he tested somfin for im  it worked, and da rest of da time the grot actually survived.   Dats da kinda grot ya hang on to.  least he thinks its da same grot.   He finaly stumbled onto the gretchen playing with some weird peice of hummie tech.  "Wotcha got der ya runt?"    The other gretchen had scattered except for the one pined under Urkar's gaze,  his lucky grot he thinks.  The gretchen had been showing off a odd hummie vehical it had found some where on the rok.  It looked like a un armored warbike with no motor, and no guns...  what a daft stupid thing.

"Is me bike sir" cowered the little runt "Is called a Huff Eye I tink"  the little creature points to some hummie runes on the frame.   "is not fast like your bike, but is smeaky silent,  Is good for little I".

Urkar picked up the bike in one massive hand and thought.  You know der is something usefull here,  I could put a engin on it paint it red make it look nice and orky...  I know some kommandos who might like a warbike dat can get dem some where fast and quietly and den get dem out of der loud and even faster. Dey might even pay through da nose for something like dat  He reaches down with his other clawed hand and pets the grot on the head, only mildy concussing him.  "Yous a good grot you is,  I tink im gonna do sofing nice for you,  we is gonna have you test... er get a new flashy ork bike o yer own."  He grabs the runt by the collar and drags him off after him back to his lab.  He'll iron out the problems on the grots bike  before seeing if da Kommandos might want one

now if you saw the original thread this was the bike in question

A pacific riptide 21 speed mountain bike

I got lucky recently and at an auction managed to get a ton of high quality racing parts for just 18 dollars so I started to strip down the bike

I took heat gun to the frame and peeled off the decals to get it ready to paint, stripped off the breaks gears and all the un needed bits

I then purchased the motor kit.  

Its a ghostracer 7g belt drive 4 stroke kit

I wanted to do something o make it seem a little less peddle bike little more motor bike so I decided to make some wheel covers.  

I ordered two sheets of 24 x 48 polystyrene sheeting  

using a template I made of the wheels I then proceded to cut the sheets to shape  leaving me with 4 form fitting covers

I figured plain white isn't very orky so I sectioned them off in a rough checker pattern.  I painted my rims and covers a nice black

I gotta admit thats gonna look trippy speeding down the road

Thats it for now,  In my next up date I'm hopping to show of the frame paint job, and maybe the sissybar Im making for it as well

Criticisms appreciated  and all opinions welcome

llearch n'n'daCorna

distractingly trippy, yes. Can't wait to see the outcome. >.>
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Thanks LLearch   I'm having a great deal of fun with this

I didn't like the gas tank that came with the motor kit.  It was a 2.5 liter peanut style tank.  I was going to cover it with pva foam  But I found a one gallon dirt bike gas take on Ebay

I will need to make a custom mount for it but I think its a nicer looking tank.  plus the kits gas tank sells for more then this one on ebay. so bonus

one last quick update

though I don't need a licences plate since a motorized bike doesn't need to be registered in my state I did find a site that does fairly cheap custoem bicycle plates

I am thinking ot making a frame for it using the old bike chain

thegayhare

Hi Hi all
the project has been delayed a bit do to trouble removing the bottom bracket from the bike frame, and the lack of a propper stand to use to paint the frame

In addition to that most of my free time has been spent shepherding the 6 new hens we added to our flock...  We have to make sure the older hens done bully the little ones to badly.  I admit I am tempted to see if I can build them battle armor.   I'd call them Sororitas Gallina of the Seven Sacred Herbs and Spices....   but then again I'm weird

(Gallina is latin for hen)

Any way  on to the micro update

I got some solid core no flat inner tubes for my tires,  I figured since I found them marked down it was a good buy,  man it to some work to get those things on but it also seemed a very Orky update.   I doubt most orks battle bikes run on air filled tires

I used the bottom of broken office chair with a pole to make a make shift rack,  I also removed the mountain bike handlebars for a set of after market BMX style bars  for ease of grip and more up fron mounting points.   I then proceeded to paint the frame.   

This is just the base coat,  two coats of a standard red.   I have a nicer darker barn red I'm gonna finish it off with.   

But I have a quick question for you folks

I was going to start working on some of the other bits but since I'll be using PVA foam for this build I wanted a opinion.  the foam has two sides one is a simple flat texture  the other has the dimond plate imprint on it.   Which side should be facing out which do you think would look more orky  the plain but scared flat texture  or the dimond plate like some one tore out section of metal paneling and bolted it to the bike

thegayhare

Hello all you Grotz and Gurlz

LOL 

sorry

Another Micro update really

(ps if you notice any dropped S's in my spelling sorry in advance the key is busted  and Its not always responding I'll try to catch them)

Urkar dropped the bike on to his work bench and eyed it for a moment.   "Ere.. you get me my numba tree burna,  and a size seben lugmasher. "  he shouts to the still half concussed  grot that he'd casually tossed into the corner.   

Even before the grot had returned though he'd started to strip down the bike.   it was jut hummie tech after all and that stuff tended to come apart easy.

He stripped off the gear shifters figuring most boys even kommandos would get confused wit dem, and he took a look at the wheels.   fragile weak tings made of wires and rubber air bladders.   dat not orky not in da least.  he crushed the  wheel rims in his fist crumpling them like a... like a...  ting that crumples easy.    He replaced them instead with wheels cut from the plates of a nearby bulkhead and covered the rim in a thick layer of solid rubber.  He take the burna from the trembling grot and sears off the stupid humie colors and da weak rune about da eperor or some such rot.

"Dont worry.."  he says as he hefts the big lugmasher wrench.  "we'll get you all nice and red, and maybe some big bomb on ya too"

okay I have the base bike all together again

not much is differnt really,  though It now ha the wide angle crank arms,  BMX handle bars, a new shimano sis shifter for the rear derailer,  a new shimano 6 gear rear wheel casset and I stripped off the front derailer in favor of a single drive gear.   I also have the motor gear mounted onto the rear wheel ready for me to add the motor.   As well as my checkered wheel covers.  still nothing really that new.

Part of the delay is from the fact that I'm having trouble with the motor.  the mounting plate that came with my kit wont fit on my frame.  the motor will fit but that mean I need to make a custom mounting for it.  Or moving the motor so its mounted behind the seat directly over the drive wheel.  I have a few options Im looking into

In the meantime I'm working on a few other parts one of which is Bomb shaped Storage compartments that will be hanging under the ammo case saddle bags I'm building

it a 3 dollar build from the dollar store.   a round gallon container, set of 4 bowls (only need one for each bomb)  and ome small square storage boxes

that gets me the basic bomb shape,  I'll be able to unscrew the nose cones to get at the storage bins and I plan to use PVA foam for the fins.   but I don't know if I should go with the basic X shape, or a box shape, or a ring shape fin.   What do you think?

I also have been working on my helmet.

Its a military surplus steel pot helmet,  I got it pretty cheap since it was a un observer helmet and thus blaze orange.  2 coats of black  and 2 more coats of the same red as my bike and its nice.  I think it needs atleat one off center black and white checkerboard stripe though.   any other sugestions for it?

llearch n'n'daCorna

thegayhare

Not sure about Flames Llearch. I had thought about taking the helmet out and taking a ball peen to it or even firing a 22 into it for some nice dents or bullet impacts but... it doesnt seem right to do that to something I still want to work as a helmet

Any way quick rather micro update

I stated before I was working on my own motor mounting for the bike so progress was delayed.   I needed some dremel bits to come in he mail  sorry.1

the first thing I needed to do was measure out exactly where the motor would fit in the frame.   Using a scrap of 2x4  I marked this out and cut it to fit.   I also measured the angles of the main bar for a snugger fit.   using the dremel, some wood carving bits and a sander head I finaly got it just right.

I then took a peice of scrap 4x4 that I had on hand that was already almost perfectly cut to fit from the recent storage shed we built and   and sanded off the few rough edges

as you can see it fits snug

I then used a steel baking sheet marked it out to fit the wooden base.  I used the cutting head on the dremel and then cut the sheet into shape.  before bending it over the wooden base

Starting tomarrow I'm going to cut away the exes metal and paint the piece before affixing it to the bike.

I know not a huge update but It is still a going concern.   I'm hopping this weekend will be more productive,  since I have my 50 cal ammo boxes,  and the the material for the saddlebag frame

WhiteFox

My first thought was to make the chain look like a chainsaw blade by adding a cutout for the casing/grips in sheet metal or plastic, (maybe cardboard if it came to that) and mount it between the pedal and sprocket. Or put it right on the frame, if that'd be less hassle. (Looks like that general area is already spoken for, tho.

If this bike doesn't end up with a war banner/flag of some sort, I will be great disappoint. X3

Edit: re bulletholes for the helmet: I've seen stickers that people put on their car windshields/door panels that look like bullet holes... failing that, i'm pretty sure you could add some with a spot of silver and black paint.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

thegayhare

Ohhhh I do love the Idea of using chain teeth on the bike but i don't think I know if I could make it look right.   Most of the motor chain will be covered already.   and Im not sure what I could do to make the peddle side look like chain teeth. 

Ohhh I hadn't thought of a flag not sure what Id use to for the design

WhiteFox

I don't think you'd even need teeth on the chain, really: just the casing for a chainsaw with a handle or two sticking out, mounted around the axel for the pedals, and the chain would look chainsaw-ish enough from ten feet away. maybe a panel to fill in the space between the front and rear sprockets. X3
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

thegayhare

okay  not a lot in this one.   I've don some bike work  but its nothing worth picturing.   before I mount the motor I wanna make sure the pedel part is all adjusted so I've been tinkering with the breaks and gearing to get that right

But I have finished my Helmet.

First thing was I used a sharpie to sketch out a rough checker pattern on the helmet.   I was going to try and measure it all down  make it perfect.  I had a rig all set up to make the perfect arch... but it didnt work so I eye balled it.   I then filled in the patern with several coats of alternating white and black

I then got some paint markers and outlined the whole arch in black and went about neatening up the edges

For the other side I wanted something Orky and Meky  I found a geared ork skull online and made a stencil.  I then traced that onto the helmet with sharpie

I painted in the gear and skull in white  and then used the black paint markers to fill in the eyes nose and give it some nice outline

So.  thats the helmet done.   Tomarrow I think I'll cover it up with some clear coat.   unless you folks have any additions to sugest?

Also just for fun I'm making a mask to wear.  I used a paint ball mask and painted it green.   

next step...  I need to make an ork jaw plate

WhiteFox

That is a very spiffy helmet. X3

The corners of the checkerboard look a little rounded... some liberal application of masking tape could've fixed that... probably would have been a really fussy job, tho.

The gear skull graphic is sweet.

The green faceplate is a clever touch... gonna put fangs/tusks on it? X3

thegayhare

Quote from: WhiteFox on August 27, 2015, 02:10:04 PM

The green faceplate is a clever touch... gonna put fangs/tusks on it? X3

Like this?

I Finished the paint ball mask

I threaded bolts through the vents in the mask, and cut sections of pva foam for the shape

I then used a sanding dremel head putting edges on the teeth.  I  then spray painted them my favorite ork red, and marked out a checker pattern across the jaw.

I finished it up  by painting the white and black checker pattern, and bolted the foam pieces back on

Tomorrow I'll clear coat it and put the goggles back in.   

WhiteFox

Sweeet. Not much more to add than that, sorry. X3

thegayhare

First thing I did was drill 3 holes through the nose cone and into the lid of the container and threaded bolts through them.

I then drilled 4 holes through the bottom of the container into the lid of the piece used for the fins, and threaded bolts through there.  I also drilled holes through the sides of the fins and bolted them down to affix them o the base.   I gave the base 2 healthy coats of black paint.

Using a sharpy I marked out a checker board pattern on the bomb hull before tracing the pattern with black paint pens,  and filling in the patterns colors

Next I researched nose cone art and made my own stencil based on the mouth,  I added a protuding fang .   once the mouth outline i don I wen in and added the teeth.  filling them in with white, and filling the gaps in with black.  before adding a simple eye. 

I'm thinking of either leaving the pupil base red or painting it a nice yellow what do you think?

llearch n'n'daCorna