(DMFA/PF) Help me design my character!

Started by ZacAttac21, July 19, 2014, 02:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZacAttac21

For those of you who don't know, I like to write little DMFA fanfic-stories. My character, Ben, is an Incubus, a member of Clan Daryil, and an off-and-on adventurer. I've had a mind to draw him in his adventurer getup for a while now, and I think I've finally decided on a look for him. However, one detail still confounds me: his weapon. He is a spellcaster who specializes in Light and Mental magics, with a little bit of Fire on the side. His fighting style usually involves a lot of movement, which would make a cumbersome weapon like a staff out of the question. He is also averse to excessive blood and gore, so a bladed weapon is also out.

So, long story short, here is my question for you guys: What kind of lightweight weapon could a spellcaster use to defend himself, preferably one that would allow him to fight back non-lethally?

VAE

What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

What does he need the weapon for?  Have you considered a truncheon of some kind?  Perhaps a collapsible one?  I'm also wondering about the possibilities of a collapsible staff, given that he's not bound by 13th century technology - modern alloys and composites are available to him.
On that note, consider also tasers, pepper sprays and some kind of high-intensity light source to dazzle foes.  Those rely on ammo or power sources, but are non-lethal when used responsibly.

That said, I would suggest he has a shortsword or bladed weapon of some description, even if he never uses it.  Even Jakob carries one (notwithstanding that it seems to have been forgotten in 'Heads').  There are several reasons for this - firstly it's a way of saying "I'm an adventurer", secondly it's useful as a threat, since no-one wants to have their arm cut open even if you're not going for a death-stroke.  Finally, you will probably want to cut things, such as rope, undergrowth, maybe wild animals.  At a pinch Ben could use a wing to do that, but not if he's posing as a Being.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Meany

Something that would help him remain grounded during a fight: A three section staff or nunchuck.  You need to constantly be aware of where the sections are spinning and where they're going; that helps prevent being driven to a blind rage because part of you is focused not on the enemy but not hitting yourself.

Also the bluntness means you'd need to hit someone really hard to injure them in the DMFA/PF verse.  Or alternatively: Staff-chucks!

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 19, 2014, 12:35:27 PM
What does he need the weapon for?  Have you considered a truncheon of some kind?  Perhaps a collapsible one?  I'm also wondering about the possibilities of a collapsible staff, given that he's not bound by 13th century technology - modern alloys and composites are available to him.
On that note, consider also tasers, pepper sprays and some kind of high-intensity light source to dazzle foes.  Those rely on ammo or power sources, but are non-lethal when used responsibly.

That said, I would suggest he has a shortsword or bladed weapon of some description, even if he never uses it.  Even Jakob carries one (notwithstanding that it seems to have been forgotten in 'Heads').  There are several reasons for this - firstly it's a way of saying "I'm an adventurer", secondly it's useful as a threat, since no-one wants to have their arm cut open even if you're not going for a death-stroke.  Finally, you will probably want to cut things, such as rope, undergrowth, maybe wild animals.  At a pinch Ben could use a wing to do that, but not if he's posing as a Being.

I mostly want him to have something he can use if magic is not an option.

I like the thought of the tazer; combine that with a truncheon and you've got a nice shock-stick.

I guess I might give him a shortsword as well. I confess I really don't know much about swords.

Also: staff-chucks, lol!

Tapewolf

Oh - you can also use a sword to block someone else's blade, so it would be smart of him to have learned at least to do that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ZacAttac21

Oh yeah, before I forget again: thanks guys! :)

llearch n'n'daCorna

You'd be surprised how little a staff can encumber you, if you're willing to learn how to swing it about properly. Plus it has the additional benefit of being able to mask it as a walking stick...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ZacAttac21

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 22, 2014, 08:42:47 PM
You'd be surprised how little a staff can encumber you, if you're willing to learn how to swing it about properly. Plus it has the additional benefit of being able to mask it as a walking stick...

I suppose it might work, especially if it were collapsible. Still, Tapewolf gave me an idea I really like, since I'm a bit of a Final Fantasy fanboy...