2013/07/29 [Matilda #22] Hindsight may be playing a big role

Started by killpurakat, July 28, 2013, 11:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killpurakat

Somehow, what Matilda is describing compared to what's going on makes me think that her brother is playing her and only in the future, after she's reflected on everything, did she realize exactly what was said and what her brother's angle was.

Sadly, I have personal experience with that sort of thing, so I'm really feeling for Matilda right now.

Titanium Dragon

Or, you know, she lied because she felt guilty about how things really went down.

Did she betray him in some way for the other guy?

Did something else entirely happen?

It could be hindsight as well... things get bad and hard for them.

But this is an obvious example of ironic juxtaposition.

Zebra Bug

Well, talk about a discrepancy...Matilda is saying one thing, but while her brother hardly looks loving, he doesn't look hateful, and she certainly seems to love him. This is making me wince in preparation to the shoe which has hovered over us since the beginning...and it will likely not drop for several pages yet...which means 2-3 more weeks. Ahhh. >< Oh, the build up! The feels!

Edit:...In fact, looking again, Heshi looks sad if anything...

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on July 28, 2013, 11:16:28 PM

But this is an obvious example of ironic juxtaposition.

Exactly. I love TV Tropes.

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Lego3400

Zebra Bug

Quote from: Lego3400 on July 29, 2013, 12:10:12 AM
....That doesn't look like fear...

What, you don't hug the things you are scared of? Isn't that a thing? >> << Oh wait....yeah. I got nothing.

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

joshofspam

Indeed, it doesn't seem to be matching up with what she is saying right now. It could be hindsight being applied, but it seems like things aren't matching up to well.

That certainly doesn't look like cruelty or constant fear.... :confused
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Wanderer

I suspect that whatever it is he does in the future has so drastically colored her viewpoint of him that it's affecting her memories of him as well. He did something that she considers horrible and unforgivable, and right now (right now being when she's narrating from) everything she thinks of him is as that horrible person. But things are rarely quite so black and white.

Drakkenmensch

The bizarre contrast of what Mathilda is saying versus what the flashback is showing is giving me this uncomfortable vibe of a story told from the perspective of a victim of psychological abuse. Knowing what we do, it's looking very effective to hint the events that will be unfolding in Mathilda's life.

SilverDemonWolf

Something I noticed that no one else seems to.

Matilda's brother says "You and your sister will be alright."

Not "You and OUR sister."

Maybe a telling hint to his inner thoughts?

Alondro

Quote from: killpurakat on July 28, 2013, 11:11:50 PM
Somehow, what Matilda is describing compared to what's going on makes me think that her brother is playing her and only in the future, after she's reflected on everything, did she realize exactly what was said and what her brother's angle was.

Indeed, it could be just a plot on his part.  Or, as a twist, she might be protecting him with plausible deniability.  Hard to say at this point.  We need more evidence.

And a mind probe.  Mind probes are great for getting at the truth!  And only a 13% chance of brain liquifaction!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Brunhidden

my prognostication vote goes with she feels guilty and wants to make what happens next justified, even if she knows its a lie
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Yarott

I dunno. I feel like... everything that may happen next will be due to Matilda's skill for turning anything into a hammerspace storage device. The suspense is murdering everyone!

Lorien077

Quote from: Drakkenmensch on July 29, 2013, 06:02:31 AM
The bizarre contrast of what Mathilda is saying versus what the flashback is showing is giving me this uncomfortable vibe of a story told from the perspective of a victim of psychological abuse. Knowing what we do, it's looking very effective to hint the events that will be unfolding in Mathilda's life.

I gotta second you here, while its way too soon to peg her brother one way or another the way she looks frightened of him, then steps out and is friendly and appeasing to me screams 'someone Matilda is afraid of'.  Sometimes victims of abuse, especially within a family, will act this way to try to earn safety and love from their abusers. 
You have my permission not to love me; I am a cathedral of deadbolts and I'd rather burn myself down than change the locks.

My scribbles: http://lorien077.deviantart.com/