Gryphon (C), unicorns and an issue of the horn?

Started by joshofspam, November 07, 2012, 09:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshofspam

You know, all this talk about unicorns got me to thinking?

Giant Gryphon (C)'s don't seem all that smart to how their talked about in Demonology pages. But when encountering Abel in small Gryphon form, they at least demonstrate some intelligences to a certain degree. They might have seemed simple in thought but very much social and even had a few welcoming cues that were similar to other beings.

So seeing as unicorns have that horn on their heads, would a Gryphon (C) avoid eating them or push them out of their territory for not being a safe meal?

I mean a horn poking them on the inside of the gut has got to be uncomfortable.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Grey Wolf

I imagine that they might just break the horn off? Or perhaps their stomach acid is particularly strong, like a vulture's?
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

joshofspam

I have given it some thought with how much is shown about the Gryphon C's. I imagine when we're talking about them being dumb, we're hearing it a comparison to a six year old child.

After all, not showing signs of sentience might only be because they only show that side with creatures that they socialize with. Though being as big as they are, they probably wouldn't need to show much sentience with other races if their only going to eat them or chase them off their territory.

Amber Williams

Gryphon C's have been reported to try to attack airplanes and dragons...so things "not being edible" or "probably going to kill them." is not really something that would stop them from trying.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

YawnPB

Gryphon C comparative... hmm... I picture King Kong being able to fly.  About the same intelligence or less, attention span about the same.  Eat anything smaller than itself, and a.... distaste for airplanes. <.<;
Lurkus Wallflowerus

Eboreg

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 08, 2012, 04:13:54 PM
Gryphon C's have been reported to try to attack airplanes and dragons...so things "not being edible" or "probably going to kill them." is not really something that would stop them from trying.

Of course, Gryphon C's are pretty powerful and can go toe to toe with a dragon. I imagine a lot of bloody evolution in action when Furrae starts fielding fighter planes armed with Gianna specials.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Amber Williams

They actually aren't all that powerful at all other than their size.  While they go up against dragons, it's an incredibly one-sided fight with the dragon always winning.   Of all the creatures, they're probably the closest to giant fuzzy sharks in that they don't actually go out of their way to cause harm or be malicious...but if you are in an area they think is their territory watch out.  

So yeah, if there were fighter planes odds are they could make easy work of Gryphon Cs...but you'd be kind of a dick for doing so since it usually means you have to go out seeking them.  But I suppose I could see some big game hunter types being all for it.

Eboreg

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

joshofspam

I also seem to remember the page saying there resistant to magic, not fully ammune to it like were's in human form.

From the sound of it, a lot of the races with enough power to go toe to toe with a Gryphon C find it annoying if anything else. Though Devon seemed concerned for Kria meeting one flying to her office job, Kria seemed to think she could handle a Gryphon C.

I kind of like the comparisons to Fuzzy sharks, a flying king kong and a six year old child. They at least have to have some intelligence if they can follow orders from the smaller Gryphons. But intelligence is a really relative and perspective kind of thing. I mean a octopus can figure out how to get a lobster out of a enclosed container. Smart! Though don't expect that octopus to write a compelling spy novel.

Lying Foo

Now I'm picturing the BOB as a fighter squadron.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Turnsky

i always picture Gryphon (C) as being slightly higher in intelligence than the average emu.

(for the record, if you're at an emu farm, don't wear anything shiny, especially in your hair)

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on November 09, 2012, 05:17:41 AM
(for the record, if you're at an emu farm, don't wear anything shiny, especially in your hair)

That got me curious about whether they like shinies or whether it makes them aggressive.  While looking it up, I found this which amused me:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8193013_trailer-emu.html
...I now have a mental picture of someone waving their keys at the emu to distract it while someone else grabs it from behind.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 09, 2012, 05:32:07 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on November 09, 2012, 05:17:41 AM

That got me curious about whether they like shinies or whether it makes them aggressive.  While looking it up, I found this which amused me:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8193013_trailer-emu.html
...I now have a mental picture of someone waving their keys at the emu to distract it while someone else grabs it from behind.

Emus are naturally curious, but not very bright whatsoever, so they tend to peck at anything that's shiny.
-Memories of a school field trip way back when with a girl whom had a barette that caught one emu's attention.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..