15/10/12 [DMFA #1344] - Bleeding thumbs, dragon suspicions and edible phones

Started by MT Hazard, October 15, 2012, 09:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Hmm, who could Ducky be calling?

Could the yellow drake have an ulterior motive for phone eating?

Will Wildy's efforts make thinks better or worse?  
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on October 15, 2012, 09:20:57 AM

The Oracles I figured.  In a world as mixed up as Furrae, they could well have a toll-free number for prophecies.

As for Abel being lucky... is Alexsi aware that they almost killed her first?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 15, 2012, 09:28:53 AM

The Oracles I figured.  In a world as mixed up as Furrae, they could well have a toll-free number for prophecies.

As for Abel being lucky... is Alexsi aware that they almost killed her first?

Oooh...
A toll-free number for prophecies and then a paid link for customer complaints & troubleshooting...
That'd make them rich quick.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

justacritic

So many mysteries wrapped in enigmas & do the phoenixes have their own agenda?

Tapewolf

Quote from: justacritic on October 15, 2012, 10:23:31 AM

Or was it even a phoenix at all...?

joshofspam

One could wonder just what's up with the Oracles. At the very least, even on a lunch-break, you'd figure they'd at least keep the spilling of innocent or non-guilty blood down to a minimal. Should be very interesting what Ducky finds out calling back home, if that's where he's making a call to.

Though I must say, I'm enjoying the Mab and Nyil Wheat Thins battle taking place in Midwest Furfest. Will Amber be able to steal the wonderful wheat squares or will Nyil be able to protect their wheaty thin goodness?  :U
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Lying Foo

So Ducky smells a rat among the Phoenixes.

(Unlike them?  Really?  Well... I guess we've never seen one of their prophecies all the way through, have we?)

What I notice is what surprises Pyroduck - the fact that the Oracle didn't reference the fact that there was more than one Cubi at Lost Lake Inn, not that any of those Cubi would have done what the Oracles allege.  I suspect that may have something to do with the feather in his hair...

(And also, now I'm wondering whether Furrae had a Croesus.)
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

mithril

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 15, 2012, 09:28:53 AM

Pyroduck was raised by the Oracles, so presumably he could could talk to someone who could give him a semi-straight answer to what exactly happened with the BOB.

though i wonder if he could get more detailed info on Merlitz from them using that connection.

Tapewolf

Quote from: mithril on October 15, 2012, 01:13:24 PM
Pyroduck was raised by the Oracles, so presumably he could could talk to someone who could give him a semi-straight answer to what exactly happened with the BOB.
though i wonder if he could get more detailed info on Merlitz from them using that connection.

I figure that's why he was dragged off to the moon, because it would have been plot-inconvenient to have him around to decipher the prophecy :3

mithril

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 15, 2012, 01:19:20 PM

I figure that's why he was dragged off to the moon, because it would have been plot-inconvenient to have him around to decipher the prophecy :3
that and having a Dragon and a Fae around would detract from Able, Wildy, and Jyrras getting their crowning moments of awesome..

Miliki

Could the yellow drake have an ulterior motive for phone eating?

Will Wildy's efforts make thinks better or worse?  

If I remember correctly, Ducky was raised by Phoenixes, so I think he may have been calling mom?

And I am just surprised that the phone being eaten actually came around full circle XD

Hopefully Wildy goes covert and looks for the files rather than blurts everything out trying to get answers.

Prroul

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 15, 2012, 10:31:13 AM

You know, this is my new personal pet theory... with all the shapeshifters around, and as scatterbrained as the Phoenix Oracles are, it would be pretty easy to look like one and pull that off. Sounds just like the sort of thing someone might pull to pit one enemy against another...

TacticalError

Quote from: Prroul on October 15, 2012, 03:38:39 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on October 15, 2012, 10:31:13 AM

You know, this is my new personal pet theory... with all the shapeshifters around, and as scatterbrained as the Phoenix Oracles are, it would be pretty easy to look like one and pull that off. Sounds just like the sort of thing someone might pull to pit one enemy against another...

Even if the oracles did know there was a shapeshifter messing around, they seem like the kind of race with a 'we're too powerful/longlived/whatever to intervene, so we'll just let it go on'.

YawnPB

Well there is an old trick Amber could do with her thumb.  Superglue... it functions like a bridge holding the 2 edges together assuming the wound is a fairly clean cut.  It's useful since unlike stitches it gives less scars.
Lurkus Wallflowerus

mithril

Quote from: YawnPB on October 15, 2012, 04:12:30 PM
Well there is an old trick Amber could do with her thumb.  Superglue... it functions like a bridge holding the 2 edges together assuming the wound is a fairly clean cut.  It's useful since unlike stitches it gives less scars.
make sure you wash it well prior, and use liquid superglue not the gel.

Amber Williams

And now its time for Amber talking about horrible injury details!

[spoiler]Basically what happened is I got bit by my rabbit Kettle.  Accidental bite.  I was changing her litter when she heard the plastic bag rustling and thought that the bag holding the bedding shavings was a food bag. So she started digging and trying to bite/claw into the bag.  I reached over to grab the bag just as her face went for it and my thumb intercepted her teeth.   A lot of folks underestimate rabbit bites what with them being herbivores, but really, these guys chew wood for snacks and make a habit of biting through roots and vines. So she basically sliced through the fleshy bit of my thumb like it was butter.  Like I said though, accidental.

It's also an incredibly smooth cut, I imagine many knives would be jealous over how smooth a cut it was.  It ended up basically giving my thumb a smiley face mouth.  Because it was also such a smooth cut, it didn't really have any major tearing so could be pushed shut rather easily.  Not really deep enough to require anything super serious, but not really big enough to warrent stitches.  Basically it hit the injury sweet spot.  As I mentioned, the main problem was due to it being on a finger, wrapping it up would make my thumb stiff and ungrippable, but not wrapping it up tight enough would result in the injury trying to split whenever I put pressure on it from my pen/pencil.[/spoiler]

That said, giving it the few days to just heal has really helped. I can draw with just a simple bandage one rather than trying to steel reinforce it and there hasn't been any issue or worry of the scab trying to pop open.

As for the phoenix oracles, the big thing with them is that when you have a sort of all-knowing thing, you inevitably will end up sounding like you are scatterbrained even if you do know what is going on.  But they do, and that is exactly the reason people do seek out advice from them because they are an incredibly neutral party due to them knowing most everything and lacking a personal vendetta/motive.   They just also have a quirk that they feel part of the point is the journey and that folks shouldn't just be told things but given a direction to find things out for themselves.   So their advice is often vague, but vague with the understanding that behind such messages there is a greater understanding that of all the things they could say, what they are saying will lead to the best conclusion.  That said, the fact the tops of their head contain actual fire is something that the average shapeshifter would not be able to replicate.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Taking that the phoenix oracle said "from from Lost Lake", if you look at in a different context it could mean that Merlitz could have been killed by a cubi that maybe used to reside in Lost Lake, but no longer does. Hence, that could explain why only one cubi was referenced, as we all know that two cubi actually reside at Lost Lake at this time.

Well, excusing the fact that Dan is away for a month.... :P

VAE

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on October 15, 2012, 06:22:03 PM
Taking that the phoenix oracle said "from from Lost Lake", if you look at in a different context it could mean that Merlitz could have been killed by a cubi that maybe used to reside in Lost Lake, but no longer does. Hence, that could explain why only one cubi was referenced, as we all know that two cubi actually reside at Lost Lake at this time.

Well, excusing the fact that Dan is away for a month.... :P

Ouch... might have been Destania in that case.
Given she was impersonating Biggs the last time we seen her, not impossible someone called the adventurers on him and she acted as his usual bodyguard with her usual skill.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

joshofspam

I still find it interesting that the creature counsil is still most likely trying to figure out what Jyrras is up to.

They obviously have a Phoenix in one of their seats and the rest are still trying to figure it out. I'm guessing that Jyrras's lab is included as a best conclusion element.

Edit: Though going by this and what Amber said, that makes you wonder if the Phoenix's were hoping for this outcome?

After all, Jyrras's work isn't going to be much of a secret at if things like this keep happening and as Alexsi has said, they got really lucky that BOB at least tried to talk things out.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Semi-straight? That's a laugh. Remember what happened with his ball, after all.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sofox

Ouch Amber, hope that gets better soon. I guess you can say now you've been mauled by a herbivore.

Back to comic discussion: It kinda disturbs me how casually Alexsi is taking Merlitz 's death. I mean, someone she knew and worked with for a long period of time suddenly turning up dead? I know this is Furrae and Merlitz was an adventurer meaning low life expectancy and all, but it still feels like she's underreacting.

KiloFoxx

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 16, 2012, 07:37:02 AM

please that riddle was EASY i figured that out in seconds...

joshofspam

Quote from: KiloFoxx on October 16, 2012, 11:15:05 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 16, 2012, 07:37:02 AM

please that riddle was EASY i figured that out in seconds...

That ball is probably still under the sink.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Lying Foo on October 15, 2012, 01:09:54 PM
So Ducky smells a rat among the Phoenixes.

(Unlike them?  Really?  Well... I guess we've never seen one of their prophecies all the way through, have we?)

Have we seen any phoenix prophecies? What was told about Destania and Merlitz were both past tense, not future.

Quote from: mithril on October 15, 2012, 01:13:24 PMPyroduck was raised by the Oracles, so presumably he could could talk to someone who could give him a semi-straight answer to what exactly happened with the BOB.

I don't know about getting a straight answer but he would have a good chance of deciphering any answers.

Quote from: Sofox on October 16, 2012, 11:12:14 AMBack to comic discussion: It kinda disturbs me how casually Alexsi is taking Merlitz 's death. I mean, someone she knew and worked with for a long period of time suddenly turning up dead? I know this is Furrae and Merlitz was an adventurer meaning low life expectancy and all, but it still feels like she's underreacting.

He hasn't turned up dead yet, he's reported dead. There is no body yet.

BTW, did anyone else notice the cityscape outside the window? I'd say Lost Lake can't be more than a few miles outside of Zinvth.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Lying Foo

"It lies beneath the streams controlled" isn't exactly the hardest answer to work out, even if he never did.

Hmm.  This outcome is better than any number of conceivable alternatives:

-BOB attack a bunch of dragons, get killed.
-BOB attack SAIA, get killed.
-BOB flush out Dan somehow, get him killed, possibly after getting killed by him.
-BOB attack Destania... you get the picture.

Still, kind of a blow to their credibility, isn't it?
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

joshofspam

Quote from: Lying Foo on October 16, 2012, 01:15:36 PM
"It lies beneath the streams controlled" isn't exactly the hardest answer to work out, even if he never did.

Hmm.  This outcome is better than any number of conceivable alternatives:

-BOB attack a bunch of dragons, get killed.
-BOB attack SAIA, get killed.
-BOB flush out Dan somehow, get him killed, possibly after getting killed by him.
-BOB attack Destania... you get the picture.

Still, kind of a blow to their credibility, isn't it?

To be fair to the Phoenix's, all they really seem to do is give the answers in vague riddles that the person has to think about and find their own answer

That leaves a person asking the question to figure it out. That doesn't necessarily mean a person will figure out the riddle correctly and take the right course.

Despite what BOB thinks, their answer was still rather vague, if not in the form of a riddle.

MT Hazard

Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 16, 2012, 11:50:15 AM
BTW, did anyone else notice the cityscape outside the window? I'd say Lost Lake can't be more than a few miles outside of Zinvth.

I'm pretty sure that's just the display behind the bar.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic)