05/06/2011 [DMFA #1216] - Still less so than Korhal IV

Started by VAE, May 05, 2011, 11:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshofspam

Going back to the story, it seems like Abel has had the time to set a bookcase filled with books up in a nicely painted room.

The odd thing of this is I would assume many of those books would be his from the academy. Though that brings up another question, how does Abel get his required research material from there?

I figure that Abel was quite bookish before he was band. I bet all the book that are in the Lost lake Inn have been well arranged since his coming here. I wonder if Alexsi has had time to look in on her unread romance novels recently? :)
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

MT Hazard

Abel was a librarian before, perhaps that stuck, maybe he was banned for rearranging the books at SAIA. I think the books were already at lost lake, possible standard history books, maybe bought by Dest. 
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Anker Steadfast

He asks Fi to bring them ?

Maybe Saia the local library has a "You call, we teleport" service on books ?
Could work in reverse too, when the lend time on a book is up, it would automatically teleport back to the library.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

jmcallaway

Just jumped on after reviewing Demo. 101.  The Hishaan Event is when Cyra attained tri-wing status, as it clearly states in her writeup that she is 7000 years old (give or take 500 years, or so).  Which makes the length of the DC war about 2000-5000 years in length, as the current year in Furrae is c.1990. 

VAE

Quote from: jmcallaway on May 08, 2011, 03:37:28 PM
Just jumped on after reviewing Demo. 101.  The Hishaan Event is when Cyra attained tri-wing status, as it clearly states in her writeup that she is 7000 years old (give or take 500 years, or so).  Which makes the length of the DC war about 2000-5000 years in length, as the current year in Furrae is c.1990. 
Sweet!
Helps a lot with some kind of stuff
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Les

It has been mentioned elsewhere I think that at one time it was relatively easy to ascend to Tri-Wing status, then suddenly it got super-duper-hard..

My wild ass theory.   Tri-Wing ascension used to involve sucking-up a lot of ambient magic that the Dragons laid claim to, the Dragons didn't like this and so they stuffed it all into a Super-Magic-Shiny-Thing.  Cyra, wanting to attain Tri-Wing status, goes to Hisshan(sp?) and asks M'chek for access to Super-Magic-Shiny-Thing.  M'chek is like, "You No Can Haz!"  And Cyra is like, "It's On!"  Hilarity Fightey-time ensues.

Cyra gets ahold of Super-Magic-Shiny-Thing and uses it to become Tri-Wing, but in the process breaks Super-Magic-Shiny-Thing causing it to go Bewm.  Since this is a Super-Magic-Shiny-Thing and not a Super-Explody-Shiny-Thing it goes 'EverythingBecomesGlassNao'-bewm instead of 'EverythingAsplodeNao'-bewm.

So Crya gets what she wanted, but as a result Super-Magic-Shiny-Thing is gone forever and ever, an entire City is gone, and she's just gotten herself involved in a blood feud with all Dragons everywhere Forever...... oops.
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

Anker Steadfast

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Psy-Kosh

Alternate theory for increased difficulty of ascension: political (for lack of a better word) rather than overall accessible magic.

ie, in ye olden days ascension was done via massive soul munching in large quantities, but cubi can't really get away with that sort of thing anymore. If nothing else, beings are a bit more organized and able to field competent adventurers and further able to field large armies of someone _really_ pisses them off.

Taun, for one thing, wouldn't be putting up with some starting to much on souls or whatever in large scale, attracting rather unpleasant attention toward the cubi.

Obviously, non-munch-on-people methods would, under the above hypothesis, remain unaffected. Perhaps they're more difficult or require far more cleverness.

VAE

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on May 09, 2011, 08:56:04 PM
Alternate theory for increased difficulty of ascension: political (for lack of a better word) rather than overall accessible magic.

ie, in ye olden days ascension was done via massive soul munching in large quantities, but cubi can't really get away with that sort of thing anymore. If nothing else, beings are a bit more organized and able to field competent adventurers and further able to field large armies of someone _really_ pisses them off.

Taun, for one thing, wouldn't be putting up with some starting to much on souls or whatever in large scale, attracting rather unpleasant attention toward the cubi.

Obviously, non-munch-on-people methods would, under the above hypothesis, remain unaffected. Perhaps they're more difficult or require far more cleverness.

If anything, no existing clan  leader would ,simply because they are competition - think of it as tri-wings being a bunch of millionaries.
Taun IMHO would be the least opposed as another tri-wing would strengthen cubi overall.

As for the other thing, fair point - it's quite possible that advances in technology do have something to do with it... after all, in stone-age furrae, defeating any creature must have been almost impossible - it's only later weapons that have allowed trained beings to begin to match their natural weapons.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Psy-Kosh

Yeah. I'd expect there'd be obvious politics/etc associated with new clan leaders.

I'd expect Taun, at least, to actively encourage new ascensions if it could be pulled off in a non-pissing-the-rest-of-the-world-off-at-us way. Actually, lack of ascensions in a while would probably lead to some cubi having a "we're a dying race" type feeling, so they'd probably welcome someone, anyone, doing it just to as a sign that it's still possible, that, as a people, they're not "past their prime".