Immortaility at last! >:}

Started by Alondro, March 19, 2010, 09:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!

I have made jellyfish that can live forever!

The world shall fall to their tentacles!    :U

I see a potential usefullness in learning what gene pathways are used to revert adult stem cells to an embryonic state, thus allowing patients to grow their own grafts at last!  :3

And allow me to become IMMORTAL LEADER OF THE CHARLEK EMPIRE!!!  MY CHARLEKS SHALL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!   :mwaha

Charleks have tentacles too.   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

superluser

Can I eat it?  Can it eat me?

Unless the answer to either of those is yes, I'm thinking ``Don't want none, won't be none.''

This jellyfish still has nothing on Byron the Immortal Light Bulb.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Robbychu

While the prospect of tentacles is appealing to mai fangirl senses, I'd like to know if this would require becoming a mental infant before becoming an immortal tenta-monster. :U

That and... it's a damn JELLYFISH. They're as bright as bricks and these guys clearly aren't being eaten fast enough. FETCH THE TURTLES. :U
THIS POST WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ALL CAPS. :)

Rheeeeeeeee...

Valynth

I see no problems with becoming an old one....

rxaslraghkjhsdtwx
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Sunblink

That is SO FREAKING AWESOME. I love jellies. This makes me love them even more. :U

This tops that Antarctic shrimp that scientists discovered, in my book.

Teroniss

Ehh, that article is actually fairly inaccurate as there are 2 other known creatures in the sea that have "Eternal Youth" or lacking senescence (aging).

The first is the lobster, who through many studies has not shown any sign of the aging process. Once they reach a certain size in fact, it seems as though time stops indefinitely for them.

The others are Hydras, which have been found to have an indefinite celluar division.

techmaster-glitch

The thing about these jellyfish is that the literally reverse their age, which I don't think the lobster or the hydra does :/

Teroniss

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 20, 2010, 04:34:55 PM
The thing about these jellyfish is that the literally reverse their age, which I don't think the lobster or the hydra does :/

True, but immortality is immortality. I'm not one to question it or how it works.

Shachza

Quote from: Teroniss on March 20, 2010, 04:31:56 PM
Ehh, that article is actually fairly inaccurate as there are 2 other known creatures in the sea that have "Eternal Youth" or lacking senescence (aging).

The first is the lobster, who through many studies has not shown any sign of the aging process. Once they reach a certain size in fact, it seems as though time stops indefinitely for them.

The others are Hydras, which have been found to have an indefinite celluar division.

Hydras are also incredibly basic life-forms, not much more complex that clumps of identical cells.  I could say bacteria live forever because they don't change or die really, they just split in half.

The lobster and jelly are pretty complex and much more impressive to me.
            <-- #1 that is!

rabid_fox

I don't want to go through puberty backwards.

Oh dear.

Drayco84

How about repeatedly, to boot?

ooklah

:erk D: It's just as I FEARED so many years ago! THEY ARE going to take over the world!!!

... I need a net, flame thrower and a boat... this needs to stop before it gets any worse...
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Sunblink

Quote from: ooklah on March 24, 2010, 01:42:53 AM
:erk D: It's just as I FEARED so many years ago! THEY ARE going to take over the world!!!

... I need a net, flame thrower and a boat... this needs to stop before it gets any worse...

A flamethrower would be an ideal weapon for killing things underwater?

You might wanna rethink that... ;)

Mao

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 24, 2010, 11:13:51 AM

I think that the net and boat would be used to get them out of the water so that the flamethrower could be applied.  However, I'd be cautious as boats and nets are quite often susceptible to fire...

Robbychu

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 24, 2010, 11:41:58 AM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 24, 2010, 11:13:51 AM

I think that the net and boat would be used to get them out of the water so that the flamethrower could be applied.  However, I'd be cautious as boats and nets are quite often susceptible to fire...
Perhaps a steampowered boat would be better suited for the purpose? Chuck them in as fuel? That, or just get some sea turtles. They eat jellies.

...TURTLES!

Rheeeeeeeee...

Alondro

Ah, but attacking the jellies could have severe ramifications!  They could begin to use complex and powerful machines to move about in to protect their fragile, tentacled bodies from the flamethrowers and turtles.

Such as:  Jellyleks

Then we will be doomed.   :B

Or, they might use this method of anti-turtle protection:  Krang is a jellyfish

Either way, things will not go well for us.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Drayco84

Sic Chuck Norris on 'em.

That guy kills everything. However, we may have to wait until they kill his dog, first...

Sunblink

Quote from: Drayco84 on March 24, 2010, 10:11:47 PM
Sic Chuck Norris on 'em.

That guy kills everything. However, we may have to wait until they kill his dog, first...

Don't answer your door.

VAE

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 25, 2010, 11:39:56 AM
Quote from: Drayco84 on March 24, 2010, 10:11:47 PM
Sic Chuck Norris on 'em.

Don't answer your door.

ltorv@tux$ kill -9 `ps -e | grep chuck_norris | cut  -f 1 -d ' '`

Linus Torvalds can kill Chuck Norris!
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

ooklah

You're right, a boat might not be the best idea, they've already capsized a 10ton boat... I'll need to rethink my plan a bit...
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Robbychu

...This is going to be really bad.

Quick! Get a Pikachu, jellies are something like 90% water!

Rheeeeeeeee...

Netrogo

Now if they could just hurry up and figure out how to apply this to humans, a happier me I would be.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

VAE

Quote from: Netrogo on March 26, 2010, 02:28:37 PM
Now if they could just hurry up and figure out how to apply this to humans, a happier me I would be.
Not only happier, a lot longer living too!
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Sofox

Eh, we won't ever have true immortality in this world until they develop a cure for HBAB Syndrome (Hit By A Bus Syndrome).

Alondro

Quote from: Sofox on March 29, 2010, 08:34:14 AM
Eh, we won't ever have true immortality in this world until they develop a cure for HBAB Syndrome (Hit By A Bus Syndrome).

Simple, have all your cells be able to live independently, like slime molds.  Then all the bits of you from the bus collision will just ooze back together! 

Now, vaporization by an atomic bomb blast is a whole different problem.  I dunno how you fix that lil weakness.

Chairtastic

Quote from: Alondro on March 29, 2010, 12:06:14 PM
Now, vaporization by an atomic bomb blast is a whole different problem.  I dunno how you fix that lil weakness.

Quite simple really. :U You open your mouth wide and eat it before it gets to vaporizing your digestive track.

Omega

Alondro, would it be possible to get a real publification of this story?  While I do enjoy these popularized versions for their time saving properties, I'd still like to see the actual studies a bit more detailed.

Alondro

Quote from: Meany on April 10, 2010, 08:18:18 PM
Quote from: Alondro on March 29, 2010, 12:06:14 PM

Quite simple really. :U You open your mouth wide and eat it before it gets to vaporizing your digestive track.

You mean like the way Neliel Tu Odverschwank in "Bleach" can eat a Cero and fire it back with her's added in?  *otaku madness!*   :boogie