04/03/10 [DMFA#1101] - Must be a Really Good Soap

Started by RandomMetaphysics, April 03, 2010, 11:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liari

Quote from: Naldru on April 04, 2010, 06:29:11 AM
I just noticed that somebody else had been thinking along this route.  However, given the change in behavior of Alexsi, she would probably be the best candidate for the evil twin.

Ahah!  You are probably correct; thought that complicates the Dan-runs-away-with scheme....ew.

Quote from: Morgan on April 04, 2010, 12:42:05 PM
Quote from: Naldru on April 04, 2010, 10:46:22 AM
My wife's main interest now is HGTV.  Can you imagine Abel discovering HGTV and The Food Network.

Omg. Abel needs to watch the Food Network for a few days and then come to my house and express his new knowledge all over my kitchen. Then, I could die happily

Also, this. Definitely this.  I heart Food Network. 

Psychedelic Mushroom

Quote from: Meany on April 04, 2010, 12:24:00 AM
Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on April 04, 2010, 12:02:45 AM
Meh, I'm just hoping Jyrras will walk in and greet Abel.
... Abel will then realize that someone saw him watching a soap. Hilarity will follow.
Really? :O I have more of a feeling that stabbity will follow.

Hahah! If someone were to walk in on Abel I think he would flip channels trying to act like nothing was going on. >XD Denial isn't just a river in Egypt....

Naldru

Quote from: Meany on April 04, 2010, 01:44:42 PM
What if he is not in fact a victim of the idiot box? :U

His eyes seem to imply surprise; perhaps he recognizes someone on the screen, and has yet to emerge from the 'holy crap!' mind frame?

*ninjavanish*  :mowninja
Well, it is known that some of the cubi clans are involved in the entertainment industry.  Most soap operas do have one evil person whose life is dedicated to destroying the happiness of others.  And many of them have a seductress (What would the male equivalent be?) dedicated to breaking up the happy marriages.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Shachza

What if he is not in fact a victim of the idiot box? :U

His eyes seem to imply surprise; perhaps he recognizes someone on the screen, and has yet to emerge from the 'holy crap!' mind frame?

*ninjavanish*  :mowninja

I disagree.  That's deffinitely a mesmerized-by-TV-while-stuffing-my-face-with-snacks look if ever I've seen one.  I should know, I've mastered it.
            <-- #1 that is!

Drayco84

DMFA is NOT a soap. Now, if they started sleeping with each other and the guys got into fights over who was pregnant with their baby, THEN it would be a soap.

I would also have to make an emergency trip to Canada, abduct the author, and force her to give up her soap addiction, cold turkey. (I'm sure I can convince a mental institution she's nuts. Unfortunately for me, they might also 'take me in' as well. It's a risk I'm willing to make!)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 04, 2010, 03:51:49 PM
DMFA is NOT a soap. Now, if they started sleeping with each other and the guys got into fights over who was pregnant with their baby, THEN it would be a soap.

However, I realised a few years ago that it seems to be fulfilling the same need in me that a soap opera fills for other people.  Probably why I'm in it for the drama.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Drayco84

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 04, 2010, 03:56:21 PM
Quote from: Drayco84 on April 04, 2010, 03:51:49 PM

However, I realised a few years ago that it seems to be fulfilling the same need in me that a soap opera fills for other people.  Probably why I'm in it for the drama.
Ehhhhh... Point taken. But, there's far more Soap-like comics out there... Like This. (It even has characters dying and coming back to life! Oh, and the MAD science doesn't hurt.)

Prof B Hunnydew

Oh Adventure, Romance, and Mad science...." My favorite

But reaally We need Dan to show up...Cheerful and glowing too.

PBH

psilorder

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 04, 2010, 04:04:52 PM
Ehhhhh... Point taken. But, there's far more Soap-like comics out there... Like This. (It even has characters dying and coming back to life! Oh, and the MAD science doesn't hurt.)

gah! love-triangles! tho atleast they dont have the "A love B while B loves C who doesnt notice B" version.
very annoying story element either way.

Caswin

Quote from: Jairus on April 04, 2010, 01:10:35 PM
Quote from: Bjalf on April 04, 2010, 12:57:57 PM
[Disturbingly funny story of a bad soap opera]
That is one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard. Absolutely amazing.
I was about to post almost the exact same thing.  Great story.
Quote from: Tapewolf on April 04, 2010, 06:44:36 AM
It's quite possible he's never seen a soap before.  Being in its own hyperrealm, SAIA would have to have a centralised TV feed since it probably can't pick up broadcasts.  It might be that only students who knew about TV would request a feed...

It's not 100% clear if SAIA has an internet link either, the framing story for the Founders arc may not be canon.  In any case, if they offer a computer course Abel might have learned to program an S360 using punch cards, or a PDP-11 in assembler and then not bothered to follow later trends...
That makes far too much sense.  I wonder if they have college radio?

But more to the point: The text has spoken.  Barring a time travel rescue, this is the last we will hear from Abel.  Fa'Lina will go un-contacted, Dan will just have to teach himself, and Aniz will have to be dealt with by someone else.  Like... I dunno, Matilda, Pyroduck, Zombie Cid Rewanz...
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Tapewolf

I wonder if Abel realises it's a play?  >:3
EDIT:  Since that sounds kind of weird on its own, think of reality shows...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sind

Morgan

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 04, 2010, 07:01:48 PM

Good point. He hasn't been around the block in a while, but then again, he does generally know what beings are like in real life - he's experienced weddings, friendship, conflict, love - and can probably see this for a farce.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Yeah, but presumably he forgot a lot, maybe has some sort of repression of most of his early life. He didn't seem to remember that a normal sleep cycle lasts around eight hours, and not 20ish minutes.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Drayco84

Quote from: Morgan on April 04, 2010, 08:44:22 PM

Good point. He hasn't been around the block in a while, but then again, he does generally know what beings are like in real life - he's experienced weddings, friendship, conflict, love - and can probably see this for a farce.
Uh huh, and how much did you learn about "The Real World" while in college? I'll tell ya what I learned, DIDDLY SQUAT! (Then again, I did only take one year at a community college while still living in my parents' house...) Now, take three years of that and multiply by 100...

D'ymkarra

This is entirely plausible; we now know that many members of Kish'Ta's clan make a living as actors  :kruger
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Drayco84

It could also be the excessive use of evil twins... "Hey, let's set up your evil twin with my evil twin and we can get the antidote for so-and-so!" Seriously, who comes up with that kind of cra-... Oh... Right... Nevermind... (Still doesn't beat All My Circuits though... "Yes Calculon... You have a third alternate personality, one that the other two don't know about!")

And KIsh'Ta specialize in horror flicks, remember? (Dimanika, though, I'd believe.) Besides, that's a Deer-in-a-strobe-light-room-look: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_199.php

EDIT: Botched a bracket...

Bjalf

I'd argue that there's as much reality in reality shows as there is fighting in wrestling.

But it's too early in the morning, I can't be bothered to right now   :sleep

(or dogs in dog biscuits. intelligence in military intelligence. grape-nuts.)

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Bjalf on April 04, 2010, 12:57:57 PM
Slightly off-topic:
There is a horrible soap called "The Bold and the Beautiful",...

I watched one episode and lost 2 IQ points.
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on April 04, 2010, 01:03:05 PM
I wonder who gets all the lost IQ points ?

Certainly not Hollywood or DC.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

RJ

I know how Abel feels to get sucked into a soap opera's story. The Bold and the Beautiful gets me every time. D: I am ashamed, but it's just so horribly hilarious.

Anker Steadfast

I wonder if a Cubi can feed on a soap opera ?
Maybe they are really delicious ?

:D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on April 05, 2010, 11:26:27 AM

If a soap is like a full meal, then an action flick would be like an energy drink.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Bjalf

The cubi equivalent of junk food.

Drayco84

Not unless they can feed off of their own emotions... (Because last I checked, TVs don't have any emotions.)
Other viewers, on the other hand...

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 05, 2010, 12:12:15 PM

Not unless they can feed off of their own emotions... (Because last I checked, TVs don't have any emotions.)

So, if a member of Kisha'ta's clan took some people to see Saw... would that be like drinking super-caffeinated coffee? Or would said member get a massive headache from the sudden spike in fear?

Drayco84

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on April 05, 2010, 02:29:34 PM

So, if a member of Kisha'ta's clan took some people to see Saw... would that be like drinking super-caffeinated coffee? Or would said member get a massive headache from the sudden spike in fear?
I'd wager on a headache from the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on April 05, 2010, 02:29:34 PM

You mean in a cinema ?

Well, I guess that would be dependant on how high the cubi's limit is, which I reckon might differ from cubi to cubi.
Some might get a headache, while others would get a rush out of it.

Now, the saw is a good one, but what about the Excorcist in a highly religious area ? :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.