03/23/10 [Clan Leaders #11] My, grandma, what big claws you have...

Started by Tezkat, March 23, 2010, 01:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 26, 2010, 11:13:33 AM
They were USED as armies, but that wasn't what their purpose was.  Nor did I say they weren't used as armies.

Their original intent was simply to protect the shrines, as you said.  The European Orders, admittedly, started out that way (as well as to protect pilgrims and the like, same as the Eastern Orders).. but that changed pretty quickly.  To the point where some of them were strong enough to try and branch off and try and declare sovereign (both the Teutonic Knights and the Templars tried that, iirc.. neither succeeded).  They were so entrenched in the economies, armies, government and church that it's a surprise, to me at least, that they didn't become sovereign.

The Teutonic knights state lasted in what's modern day East Prussia for 299 years, and was never officially conquered. (The grand master, Albrecht of Brandenburg, re-worked it into a secular duchy and incorporated it into his family's other holdings around Berlin in the early 16th century.)
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Anker Steadfast

It's interesting how history often turns out with some of the best histories we know of. :)
And monastic warriors (warrior monks, knights, paladins, etc.) are the stuff of legends ... literally!

I'm wondering how much history has played a role in DMFA ?
I'm sure there must be at least some influences there ?
Has Amber ever mentioned something like it ?

I mean, the clan of Owona does come across more alike to the "guardians of a shrine" order, while Taun's does seem a bit "Knights of the Order" kind of inspired ? Perhaps it's a Sword and Shield kind of setup ? Owona being the weapon, and Taun being the Shield ?
Or maybe I'm simply reading too much into it ?

I mean, think of it - Both of the clan leaders have been living for a good while, and must have created some pretty impressive organisations to back them up. which makes me think they might have more than just cubi attached, perhaps ordinary beings to handle most of the ordinary logistical support ? After all, if they don't have to fight, a being is almost as good as a fully fledged cubi at lugging around stuff.

Some really interesting connections between cubi and beings could happen that way.
Especially when you consider that they can have children together!

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Scow2

Clan Taun isn't any religious order of knights... I like to think of them as the 'cubi Codex Astartes. Which are a religious order of knights that kick a lot more ass.