The Lightning Thief Movie

Started by JackTheCubiWolf, December 21, 2009, 09:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackTheCubiWolf

It's true, I saw a preview for it on the Ice Age 3 movie DVD. It's directed by the guy who directed the first 2 Harry Potter Movies. Now I actually haven't read the book yet but I will as soon as it is returned to my school's library. It's set for a release date oh President's Day 2010.
I'm back, and tired.

Angel

I read all the books before there was even talk of a movie, so I'm stoked. But if they don't get it right, FAN-GRIPING WILL ENSUE RARGH.

Anyways, go read the books if you haven't yet, they're all very good.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Rakala

Any movie they base off of a book will have some fan griping. Whether it's "Oh you didn't include everything" or "You stuck too rigidly to the book" there will always be a little bit. Not necessarily from you but in general.

Caswin

Quote from: Rakala on December 22, 2009, 09:06:26 AM
Any movie they base off of a book will have some fan griping. Whether it's "Oh you didn't include everything" or "You stuck too rigidly to the book" there will always be a little bit. Not necessarily from you but in general.
What would be an example of sticking too close to the book?  I can certainly understand cutting out pieces (the first Harry Potter movie alone comes to mind), but I can't think of much in the way of being too rigidly faithful.  That sounds like a good movie.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Rakala

I'm not saying that's what I think, I'm saying I've heard that complaint before.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Caswin on December 22, 2009, 10:33:48 AM
What would be an example of sticking too close to the book?  I can certainly understand cutting out pieces (the first Harry Potter movie alone comes to mind), but I can't think of much in the way of being too rigidly faithful.  That sounds like a good movie.

I've only ever heard this attributed to Watchmen, for sticking too faithfully to the graphic novel as best it could. The reasoning behind the critic I read saying it was that it alienated new viewers too much. *shrug*
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Angel

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on December 25, 2009, 08:51:08 AM
I've only ever heard this attributed to Watchmen, for sticking too faithfully to the graphic novel as best it could. The reasoning behind the critic I read saying it was that it alienated new viewers too much. *shrug*

Really? I've heard Alan Moore fans complain that it left WAY too much out, though I personally think it did as best a job as it could. Sure, they couldn't include the Black Freighter scenes, and that was a letdown, and sure they changed Laurie's big realization on Mars up a bit, but most of it was pretty good. Either way, I guess both sides have a solid argument in some cases, but Alan Moore still isn't happy.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Alondro

Hmm, I've never heard of the "Lightning Thief".  I'll have to examine it.

Is it, like, a fictional version of Benjamin Franklin, that he's a mage who steals lightning with his magical kite?  And has to battle King George's evil legions of dark magicians for control over the power of the New World and bring freedom to the world from the evil British Empire.  *thinks*  Actually... dude.... DUUUUDE!!!  That would totally work!  King George could even be all Sith Lord-ish and everything!  *starts writing!*  It'll be as good as Twilight!   :B

I'm rather out of the loop of most fiction books written in the last 20 years, unless they've been in the media long enough for me to see headlines.

I work too much.  :C
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Moonchylde

Quote from: Rakala on December 22, 2009, 11:01:29 AM
I'm not saying that's what I think, I'm saying I've heard that complaint before.

LOTR: The Two Towers, is a perfect example. Mainly because (and I'm saying this as a huge Tolkien fan), T3 was a long, drawn-out snooze-fest that read more like a military tacticians manual then a fantasy novel, and this translated into similar 3+ hour movie.

Then again, if they had cut it, people would've whined that it wasn't faithful to the book. You can never please the entire fan-base. NEVER.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Black_angel on December 25, 2009, 12:02:12 PM
Really? I've heard Alan Moore fans complain that it left WAY too much out, though I personally think it did as best a job as it could. Sure, they couldn't include the Black Freighter scenes, and that was a letdown, and sure they changed Laurie's big realization on Mars up a bit, but most of it was pretty good. Either way, I guess both sides have a solid argument in some cases, but Alan Moore still isn't happy.

The Black Freighter scenes got their own DVD release as an animated thing, I believe, so I have no idea where people would stand on that. There were a few changes (I'd have loved to see the giant psychic death squid, honestly) but the movie was still well put together and relatively faithful to its source. They didn't, say, turn Rorscach into a pure and noble hero character.

As for Alan Moore not being happy, he never IS if his stuff is adapted, last I looked :u
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.