08/29/09 [DMFA #1037] - Qualification

Started by Raiettei, August 29, 2009, 04:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2009, 05:13:02 AM
I'd be a little suspect of Abel's qualifications myself.  Sweeping floors is one thing, but does he know how to operate the till?  What a debit card is?  How to operate the card-reader?  What the liquor licensing laws are in this territory/century?

Are they still using the same currency as 400 years ago?  Are they even using the same number base (*)? Until about 1969 the UK used a bizarre currency that was non-metric and wholly illogical (people who have played Simon the Sorcerer 2 will get the idea).   The Euro was introduced under a decade ago so this kind of change is liable to happen several times in his lifespan.  Would he be able to spot a counterfeit coin or note?

Assuming the answer to all the above is 'yes', or that he has Dan hidden behind the bar to verify all the money for him, it would be kind of cool - he can probably tell if someone is underage without even looking at them.

(*)Do the inhabitants of Furrae count in Octal, having only 8 digits?

Alternatively, being able to read minds and emotions would allow one to nicely know if you were being cheated. Or if they're trying to buy things they shouldn't be able to. Or if they're from the Furrae Alcoholic Beverage Commission and are trying to get your liquor license revoked.

Admittedly, that wouldn't help much insofar as a debit card, or cash register's inner workings, would be concerned. But being a psychic shopkeeper would be very handy indeed. My mind wanders to Oblivion...

Arapaima

It never occurred to me that Abel was taken advantage of by a cougar. I see what you've done there Mrs. Williams!
Someone will remember you, sometime.
Just try and sleep with the music on, all the time.
Well I'm sorry kid, tonight you sleep outside.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on August 29, 2009, 11:09:06 PM
Admittedly, that wouldn't help much insofar as a debit card, or cash register's inner workings, would be concerned. But being a psychic shopkeeper would be very handy indeed.
He could just present them with their orders before they had spoken them, for example.  Though that would peg him as a Creature.

QuoteMy mind wanders to Oblivion...
They are psychic, aren't they?  They instinctively know the difference between a sword I stole and a sword I took from someone I murdered and only accept the latter.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 30, 2009, 05:51:35 AM
Quote from: Cogidubnus on August 29, 2009, 11:09:06 PM
Admittedly, that wouldn't help much insofar as a debit card, or cash register's inner workings, would be concerned. But being a psychic shopkeeper would be very handy indeed.
He could just present them with their orders before they had spoken them, for example.  Though that would peg him as a Creature.

QuoteMy mind wanders to Oblivion...
They are psychic, aren't they?  They instinctively know the difference between a sword I stole and a sword I took from someone I murdered and only accept the latter.

They and by extension you (the player) are part of a giant group mind, it explains everything, like how everyone knows about your famous deeds, skill/attribute levels and such. The only reason they don't know about your evil deeds is that you are intentional concealing them, they know you did something nasty, their just not sure what.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

JackTheCubiWolf

I think Abel is fully qualified to run the in. It can be to hard, especially for an experienced Cubi.
I'm back, and tired.

Chaos

Quote from: Jairus on August 29, 2009, 11:30:11 AM
Oh, Abel's probably taken Sweeping 101, Advanced Cleaning, and maybe even a Modern Currency elective by this point. I'm sure he'll do fine.

He took that elective 100 years ago...

I got to admit, the money thing it really weird in the real world too. How many times has a Canadian been rejected with the "We don't accept Monopoly Money" line. I swear, our bills used to look like money. It used to look like this and now it looks like This!

Then there is he names. We follow the US struture well enough, so penny (with a leaf on it.), nickle (with a beaver), dime (with a ship called the bluenose, I think), then quarter (mostly a deer head, but we have 50 hundred other pictures). Then wee get to the Dollar coin, we call it a loonie. It has a picture of a loon on it. This is where all sense seems to end. We then swap out the Two Dollar Bill for a Two dollar coin. We call it a toonie. Thank god we spell it with an "ie" instead of the "y" my spellchecker wants to use. And thank god we didn't go with the other logical name, the "Bearlie". Fitting though, since $2 barely buys you a coffee.

Then you get to the bills. Oh, hell the bills. As shown above, we havn't done much to move away from the monopoly money joke.

Though I got to run to work now, so I'll just leave you with this. One thing that is awesome about our money... Dang, I can't find the photo, but one of our bills has a picture of a satellite on it. Go tech!

Sorry for the rant, I stole some of the content from a comedian I saw on TV and this was me killing time before my bus... oh shi... *run*

Tapewolf

Something of a blast from the past, there, hmmm?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

LionHeart

We in Australia have a one-dollar coin and a two-dollar coin. The two-dollar coin is smaller than the one-dollar coin...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

hapless

Here the "1" coin is acually larger than any other, not only the fractions but also the 2 and 5. Less ornate, tho.

/h
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: LionHeart on September 28, 2009, 10:17:19 AM
We in Australia have a one-dollar coin and a two-dollar coin. The two-dollar coin is smaller than the one-dollar coin...

Got 50 cents there, guv?
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Janus Whitefurr

I love our 50c. It's just so... uniquely shaped compared to every other round coin.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 30, 2009, 01:14:54 AM
I love our 50c. It's just so... uniquely shaped compared to every other round coin.

This makes me want to visit Australia even more now.
Not just the great sites, interesting critters, and cool accents, but also a cool coin that would give a unique tactile sensation.

Icon by Sunblink

Kage

Quote from: ChaosMageX on September 30, 2009, 12:06:37 PM
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 30, 2009, 01:14:54 AM

This makes me want to visit Australia even more now.
Not just the great sites, interesting critters, and cool accents, but also a cool coin that would give a unique tactile sensation.

If you want cool coins you should go directly to that country's mint and see what they have for sale.  Invariably you'll find some really neat collectors coins there:

Royal Australian Mint
Royal Canadian Mint <-- The Canadians make some awesome coins.
US Mint <-- Not quite as interesting coins as the Aussies' or the Canadians', but still neat to browse.

I am the Patron Saint of Mediocrity.

Ted Schiller

I got employed, of that I was glad,
and if I had sold twenty barrels of ale
with a manner as smooth as a sable,
they'd make me part of a partnership
Alexsi, Dan, and Abel.

:cheers

With regards,
Ted