For you English people...

Started by Sprocketsdance, May 13, 2009, 08:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprocketsdance

Just a bit of something I seen on the Jimmy Kimmel show.. Here's a link.. I would deem it as NSFW just to be safe since it has to do with a male body part.. when taken out of it's original context.. or whatever..

Spotted Dick?

superluser

Uh... what's wrong with spotted dick?  I admit, I haven't looked too closely at it, as I have a feeling that ethnic British food is mainly viewed from a safe distance, but it's just suet pudding.

That said, I liked Yorkshire pudding, so I suppose I might like spotted dick.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

shadowterm

I'm not going to say my instinctual nasty joke on this subject. To put it vaguely, I likened it to a diseased phallus, and remarked that I prefer mine spot free. Hmm, I guess I just said it even through I said I wouldn't. To veer through several pedestrian filled intersections and get back on topic, I have only seen pictures, and it does not look appetizing.
/)//w//(\

Brownie

Yes...The Spotted Dick.
They reference this (Strange) dessert name in one of the Shanghai movies.
I can't remember which one (Knights or Noon). But it made me laugh a few times. Then it just gets old.
I have never tried SD but I would like to...Despite the name...

alexwars1

I have a british heraldry so i have to say that spotted dick tastes pretty crap.

Tapewolf

Yeah, spotted dick is a sort of suet pudding with raisins (which are the spots).  I haven't come across it for a while, it's likely that people prefer call it something else now to avoid the obvious connotations.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gareeku

Yeah...this got old, like, since the 50th time.

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

Kafzeil

If they haven't changed it now they aren't going to change it ever. It's one of those things that if you make a joke about to the British, they'll like give you an exasperated look.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

Gareeku

Mainly because of the fact, after every non-british person comes up and gone "Spotted dick gross lolz", you can't help but snigger at said person's idiocy. It's like the fact that some sausages are called weiners. Yes you could make a joke about how phallic the whole name is and whatever, but you don't because a) you realise people have heard it a thousand times already and b) you sound like an idiot.

Sprocketsdance

Quote from: Gareeku on May 14, 2009, 03:56:18 PM
Yeah...this got old, like, since the 50th time.

I just haven't heard of it before  :giggle plus I was just sharing how rediculous Dr. Uncle Frank could be   :rolleyes  didn't think it'd be something to get your knickers in a twist. If you don't find something funny you don't have to be a jerk about it. 

/end soap box

Gareeku

Um...I wasn't being a jerk? Just saying it's an old joke. Don't be so defensive.

superluser

Quote from: wuffnpuff on May 16, 2009, 01:42:00 PM
Quote from: Gareeku on May 14, 2009, 03:56:18 PMYeah...this got old, like, since the 50th time.
I just haven't heard of it before  :giggle plus I was just sharing how rediculous Dr. Uncle Frank could be   :rolleyes  didn't think it'd be something to get your knickers in a twist. If you don't find something funny you don't have to be a jerk about it. 

/end soap box

Serious question: Are you Stop Arresting Me?

(If so, Bravo.)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tipod

I figured they called it that since, hey, you can't really make British food more unappetizing, so why not run with it? :B
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Sprocketsdance

Quote from: Gareeku on May 16, 2009, 03:28:18 PM
Um...I wasn't being a jerk? Just saying it's an old joke. Don't be so defensive.

Then please forgive my misunderstanding.

Quote from: Tipod on May 16, 2009, 05:36:00 PM
I figured they called it that since, hey, you can't really make British food more unappetizing, so why not run with it? :B

Heh, yeah, like cucumber sandwiches? >_< Then again they aren't a part of the most.. or second most obese country so they may have something there...

Tapewolf

Do you speak from experience?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 16, 2009, 06:59:38 PM

Do you speak from experience?

There's a probably painfully British-esque wannabe restaurant place down here, and I have to say, the food is actually pretty good. And the coffee is fantastic, so.

Tipod

Some. Honest-to-God English scones are good, English fish and chips are good if you can find a place that does it right, Yorkshire pudding is (so I hear) good, but everything else I've tried just does not agree with me. Maybe they were just bad restaurants I ate at.

Not to say the US doesn't have its own crappy regional cuisine. Have any of you tried scrapple before?
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

bradypodidae

Had scrapple today; dip in a little flour and fried in an iron skillet. Touch of mayo and dab of catsup, makes a good sandwich. Also good with eggs in the morning. Next you're going to tell me you don't like grits...  :)

My only experience with British cuisine is at Scots Games and Festivals here in the States. Of course, no telling how "Americanized" it is... Nonetheless, I've never found any to be unpalatable. Yes, even tried Haggis .

edit: one of these days I'll figure out how to link an url, until then; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuixJaAia84
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Sofox

Hmmm, not the only English colloquialism that can be misinterpreted by Americans.

I heard that there was a bit of a reaction when this English woman in the States asked one of her co-workers if she could "bum a fag."