The Spirit

Started by Angel, December 26, 2008, 01:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

So the latest superhero movie got negative reviews. The Spirit is based on a comic from the 1940s by Will Eisner, and the film stars Gabriel Macht, Eva Mendes, Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson. It's about a masked crime-fighter in Central City, with no real superpowers except the ability to resist death no matter how much he's injured. He's also very strong and agile. His arch-nemesis is a man called The Octopus, a man who will either take out the city or rule it as a god. There's also The Spirit's childhood friend Sand Saref, a good girl who grew up to be a jewel thief, and Silken Floss, the Octopus's assistant and "the most beautiful woman ever."

Rotten Tomatoes, and many other critics, gave it terrible reviews, saying that the art and the visuals were great but the plot, characters, and dialogue were all weak. The one positive review the film got so far admitted the acting was campy, but that the movie couldn't hgave been done any other way.

Myself... well, I didn't hate it nearly as much. Granted, it didn't beat The Dark Knight, and I'm admittedly a sucker for masked-hero movies. But it was pretty cool, and really fun to watch. There were some good lines, the costumes were great, and the story was okay. What did you guys think?
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!