Poll: Thanksgiving at work (or school or whatever) this year

Started by Ryudo Lee, November 20, 2007, 11:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your office (or school or whatever) doing for you for Thanksgiving?

Fully catered event
1 (7.7%)
Potluck, except the office is providing the turkey and/or ham
0 (0%)
Completely potluck
0 (0%)
Nothing
10 (76.9%)
Something's going on, but I'm not attending because I'm antisocial like that
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: November 23, 2007, 11:45:47 AM

Ryudo Lee

My office ran a collection around to have our Thanksgiving party catered.  The total came out to be a little over $300, and so we're having the whole nine yards: Turkey (fried and baked), Dressing (cornbread and seafood), Ham, Macaroni and Cheese, Green Beans, Yams, Rolls, Desserts, Green salad, and Drinks.

But the offices I worked at before used to make a list of who's bringing what and then announce what will be there on the day of the party.  Sometimes the office would provide the turkey, sometimes not.

So now I'm being nosey.  What is your office (or school or what have you) doing for Thanksgiving this year?

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Dannysaysnoo

Nothing, i am related to those who switched from tea-drinking war monkies, to Burger-eating...war monkies...

rt

Thanksgiving equivalent here is a day off in most areas. So the companies give you a day off with pay :) I belive some of the universities have get togethers for the students who live too far away to get home.

RJ

Great, you guys get to eat turkey, and here I have to wait until the end of January just so I can get a sausage sandwich.

Fuyudenki

My family has a big feast every year, but I'm fairly certain my school just glosses over and goes for Christmas.

Quote from: RJ on November 20, 2007, 05:05:14 PM
Great, you guys get to eat turkey, and here I have to wait until the end of January just so I can get a sausage sandwich.

...huh?  I mean, naturally, Australians wouldn't celebrate the American Thanksgiving(nor are the Canadians, theirs was a month ago, but everyone here already knew that), but what's this about sausage sandwich?

Toric

The fast-food restaurant I'm working at is having business as usual on Thanksgiving. And I have to work from 2 in the afternoon to closing time. No thanksgiving turkey for me. :mowsad
Yap by Silver.

Reese Tora

Nothing from the list above, but my office will be closed for Thanksgiving and Black friday, and all full-time employees (ie: me) get the two days off with pay.

Possibly our VP might take us out to lunch wednesday, but I doubt it.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Kasarn

Quote from: Raist on November 20, 2007, 08:19:46 PM
Quote from: RJ on November 20, 2007, 05:05:14 PM

...huh?  I mean, naturally, Australians wouldn't celebrate the American Thanksgiving(nor are the Canadians, theirs was a month ago, but everyone here already knew that), but what's this about sausage sandwich?

Probably an Australia Day (26th January) barbecue.

Fuyudenki

I guess I was just wondering why wait until January.

Why not eat one now?

RJ

Quote from: Raist on November 21, 2007, 11:52:47 AM
I guess I was just wondering why wait until January.

Why not eat one now?

Well, I could, but it's always more fun when there's an event on. And also you can secretly steal other peoples' sausages in case the ones you brought aren't as good as you thought.

Fuyudenki

hmm, good point.

Here, you can have mine, I'm not a big fan of sausage.

Brunhidden

the wife and i work at a newspaper distribution plant, and the coming of 'black friday' means extra hours and hiring a goon squad from the local highschool to get the extra work done.

the papers we need to sort by destination are intense, we have fourty routes which normally have one to two hundred papers each, and theyve doubled in both number and thickness. the tables are breaking and whatnot.

in addition theres been times leading up to thanksgiving that eowyn just wanders the warehouse while we work because we both have to work, but its okay for eowyn as she finds something to amuse herself or dances on tables
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Just what is a... "sausage sandwich"? Is it basically just a sausage in a hotdogbun/steakbun/whatever?
Because you had me picturing a sandwich with sausage for meat.

(Personally, I like the cheese sausages ^-^)

Quote from: Brunhidden on November 21, 2007, 01:11:05 PM
the wife and i work at a newspaper distribution plant, and the coming of 'black friday' means extra hours and hiring a goon squad from the local highschool to get the extra work done.

the papers we need to sort by destination are intense, we have fourty routes which normally have one to two hundred papers each, and theyve doubled in both number and thickness. the tables are breaking and whatnot.

in addition theres been times leading up to thanksgiving that eowyn just wanders the warehouse while we work because we both have to work, but its okay for eowyn as she finds something to amuse herself or dances on tables
I guess now we know why the tables are breaking >:3