Valve hiring Engineer to port to new platform for them

Started by Saist, September 14, 2007, 07:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saist

http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html

QuoteResponsibilities
* Develop an understanding of Valve's Internet business and player community and contribute creative web-focused design solutions to improve the experience of using Valve's products

* Manage the operation of large clusters of machines running both Windows and Linux in a highly available system.

* Utilize knowledge of networking technologies and their appropriate use in large scale digital distribution systems and gaming platforms.

* Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform.

* Test, document, and maintain large scale networking installations and their assorted protocols

* oversee and implement quality assurance of applications in house and third party games distributed on Steamâ„¢

Nough Said.

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hmmm.

I can do the maintenance of large-scale systems. Porting is a bit beyond me, but... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 14, 2007, 07:22:38 AM
Quote from: je.saist on September 14, 2007, 07:19:14 AM
* Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform.

[Drools]

This is one of the main reasons I've been only tinkering with Linux instead of diving in head first.  If they actually can port all the games in Steam to Linux, I would highly consider... making a separate Linux box specifically for Steam games.  Now if GameTap, and other content delivery systems would do the same thing, then I'd make the switch completely.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!