Questions regarding new phone

Started by topher chee, August 04, 2007, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topher chee

Okay so last night I went to Projekt Revolution, which is a concert consisting of like 10 bands-Art of Chaos, Madina Lake,  The Bled, Saosin, Styles of Beyond, Mindless Self Indulgence, and then there was the big bands-Julien-K, Placebo, HIM, Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance, and LINKIN PARK!!!
  Anyways...I won some kind of raffle for the new Verizon Wireless MotoRazr Maxx Ve.  I already have a phone, which happens to be a Razr V3, but its really crapping out right now and I have T-Mobile.  Originally my Razr was from Cingular, but it is an unlocked phone, or at least thats what the guy said.  The owner of the place I have my service plan with has like a multi-network store, one with T-Mobile, and more that I think are Sprint, Alltell, MAYBE Verizon, and Cingular.
  The phone i won uses a different kind of SIM card so i cannot simply transfer the SIM card I have now to the new phone.  My question is can I use a Verizon phone with T-Mobile, like I did with the Cingular phone?

Reese Tora

technically, you should be able to.

however, it may be locked to verizon (boo! hiss!) in which case, you'll need to get it unlocked.  you can try going through customer support to get it unlocked, but you may have difficulties in that area, as most providers won't unlock a phone unless you fullful some sort of requirement. (pay a fee, ahve service with them x days, or whatever)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

topher chee

interesting.  maybe i can get the guy i have my service with to do it for free.  but thanks for the tip, i'll be sure to look into it

Catffeinated

Quote from: topher chee on August 04, 2007, 11:55:48 PM
interesting.  maybe i can get the guy i have my service with to do it for free.

Now a days, nothing is free... NO! NOT EVEN BREATHING! ... SHUT UP! ... :paranoid

DarkAudit

No. T-Mobile is GSM (and so is AT&T/Cingular). Verizon is CDMA (like Sprint). The technologies are not compatible.

If the phone is branded for a particular provider, most other companies will not touch it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

topher chee

SHIZA!  Well now all my hopes are pretty much crushed. thanks dark :D haha

Reese Tora

Quote from: DarkAudit on August 05, 2007, 12:37:51 AM
No. T-Mobile is GSM (and so is AT&T/Cingular). Verizon is CDMA (like Sprint). The technologies are not compatible.

:erk gods, I should have caught that before I answered. I feel pretty stupid, since I'm supposedly a competent professional in this particular field. :rolleyes

Yeah, Verizon uses CDMA, and that means that there is no SIM card (the kind of info that is on a SIM is built in to a CDMA phone)

If your provider does deal in a CDMA carrier(Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, to name a few big ones), he might be willing to swap for an equivalent GSM handset, especially if yours is still in the box

topher chee

well im certain that he has either sprint or verizon.  would i have to change my plan from t-mobile?

superluser

(Obligatory mention that the new FCC rules are mandating some interoperability between carriers)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

topher chee

Quote from: superluser on August 05, 2007, 03:55:25 AM
(Obligatory mention that the new FCC rules are mandating some interoperability between carriers)

is that a good thing or bad thing?

in my case? hahaha

superluser

Quote from: topher chee on August 05, 2007, 03:52:43 PMis that a good thing or bad thing?

in my case? hahaha

Sorry, not for you.  This applies to the new 700MHz spectrum, while CDMA is in the 2.4GHz spectrum (I think).

I debated whether to bring this up, since it doesn't help you, but I figured that other people might find it interesting.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Reese Tora

Quote from: superluser on August 05, 2007, 04:45:22 PM
Quote from: topher chee on August 05, 2007, 03:52:43 PMis that a good thing or bad thing?

in my case? hahaha

Sorry, not for you.  This applies to the new 700MHz spectrum, while CDMA is in the 2.4GHz spectrum (I think).

I debated whether to bring this up, since it doesn't help you, but I figured that other people might find it interesting.

GSM opeprates in four bands: 850, 900, 1800, and 1900, and CDMA in 800 and 1900
(all depending on country, of course, and most carriers only operate in one or two frequencies) your standard cordless phone opeprates in 2.4GHz, as does your 802.11b&g (but not a)

topher chee

Quote from: Reese Tora on August 05, 2007, 07:01:04 PM
Quote from: superluser on August 05, 2007, 04:45:22 PM

in my case? hahaha

GSM opeprates in four bands: 850, 900, 1800, and 1900, and CDMA in 800 and 1900
(all depending on country, of course, and most carriers only operate in one or two frequencies) your standard cordless phone opeprates in 2.4GHz, as does your 802.11b&g (but not a)

bummer.  its such a cool phone though.....lol