Alec animated

Started by Castle Pokemetroid, April 08, 2007, 09:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castle Pokemetroid

What do you think?

And also, could I get an invisible backround for this?

Destina Faroda

This is okay, but not great.

I do like how you took two frames of Alec and made a pretty good looking animation out of it.  There are several problems with it, though.

One is the fact that Alec "jumps" around a lot, instead of being still.  This animation flaw is exaggerated due to the peculiarities of video game-based pixel art.  In hand drawn, "analog" animation, Alec should recoil a little from his movements, although not as much as shown.  In a game, though, his actual movement should be localized for a practical reason -- keeping him in one space takes up far less room.  In addition, if CVRPG is an action RPG (although it seems more turn-based), this should also be done also for the player's benefit, who has a constant subconscious awareness of the "boundaries" of the character.

The other problem is that the weapon is of higher resolution (more detailed pixel wise), than Alec.  Now for a comic this junction of resolution might work for a single frame, but for an animation it's just overkill.

My suggestions for improving are as follows:

1)  Either draw or an SNES style weapon and have it properly proportioned to Alec.
2)  Make a frame in the middle of Alec swinging.  While the blur you used to "tween" the frames looks okay, to a trained eye, it looks sloppy.

That being said, I'm working on giving this a transparent background.  It's not bad.  It just could be a lot better.
Sig coming...whenever...

Castle Pokemetroid

But you know, this is like 10 times better than my other animations with CVRPG charaters. This may not be perfect, but I have gotten much better in animation.

Plus CVRPG has limited sprites, and I can't made sprites for beans.

Destina Faroda

Yeah, I know it's an improvement, and better than a lot of the CVRPG fan-sprites by far, but it suffers from some of the same glaring problems.

Just as though you can't really animate hand-drawn illustrations well unless you can draw or convincingly modify existing ones, you can't make a really good pixel animation unless you have some spriting ability.  And, as quiet as it's kept, it's not that difficult for people who are serious about pixel art to make CVRPG style sprites.  It's just time consuming, which is why no one who has the ability to sprite even at a fair level does it.

To be fair, I can't do much better, which is why I don't animate.  But I can edit.  This isn't perfect, and there's more I can do, but this is what I did with your file.

Sig coming...whenever...

Castle Pokemetroid

Eh, It's not possible to be 100% perfect anyways, but for some reason I think mine is better...

Thanks tho.

Damaris

I do think it looks a little more convincing without the recoil, honestly.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

Uh... according to what I see, it looks like the recoil is -backwards-...

.. ie, he's being pulled forwards by the recoil. Perhaps there's something there I'm missing...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears