It's alive..

Started by Tapewolf, October 15, 2006, 03:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

After about two weeks, I've managed to get Unit #2 operational.  Strictly speaking it was working last weekend, but had a nasty tendency to bite me, there being 125 volts live on the chassis.  That has now been cured.  If I can get it to synchronise with Unit #1, that should give me 14 tracks to play with instead of seven.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/tape/unit2.jpg

In part I am writing this because the addition of Unit #2 and its sick brother which I will probably keep for parts, now brings my total compliment of tape recorders to seven, or eight if you include the tape echo unit as well.

Although not actually intentional, it seems I am doing my best to live up to my username.  Well, except for the wolf part.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/tape/7decks.jpg

That is all.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

TheGreyRonin

Congratulations! Nothing more frustrating than balky equipment.

Nice setup, too.

James StarRunner

Heh heh... I think I see the SAIA librarian!

Zedd

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 15, 2006, 03:43:58 PM
Heh heh... I think I see the SAIA librarian!

Sush! I think she knows i got overdue books!

TheGreyRonin

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one of them off."

Aridas

Heh... I have a few tape machines... but one requires manual spinning since something's dying inside, and the other ultimately doesn't want to read off a tape.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Damn. That's a lot of tape.

... and having the mains live on the case is Not Good (tm).

Especially if the unit is using 3-phase :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2006, 06:46:15 PM
Damn. That's a lot of tape.
There was a guy selling 60 of them (and 130 cassette decks) on ebay last year.  It's like Hunter's drug collection in Fear and Loathing - once you get locked into it, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.  (Talking of which, the little grey UHER on the shelf is the same model Johnny Depp has in the film version...)

Quote... and having the mains live on the case is Not Good (tm).
Especially if the unit is using 3-phase :-)

Ampex Quad video machines as used by the BBC from about 1958-1985 (on which classic Dr. Who, The Young Ones and pretty much everything else was made) do need 3-phase and also an external vacuum pump to hold the 2" tape to the guides.  Much as I'd love to have one of those, it wouldn't be very practical  >:3

It actually turns out that the TSR-8 seems to be designed to take earth from the signal ground (having only a 2-pin mains lead like all the other machines pictures).  If you leave it isolated, it will act very strangely and you'll get half-mains potential on the case.  I'm still not sure if this is correct, but all three of them do it and I'm not in a hurry to test it on the 2-track machines.

Aridas, I'm faintly curious now.  What machines are yours?

**EDIT**
Just in case anyone's wondering, this was a case of 'get them all in the same room for the photo' - not my actual work environment.  And yes, James, I worked hard to keep The Librarian in shot.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 15, 2006, 07:00:34 PM
It actually turns out that the TSR-8 seems to be designed to take earth from the signal ground (having only a 2-pin mains lead like all the other machines pictures).  If you leave it isolated, it will act very strangely and you'll get half-mains potential on the case.  I'm still not sure if this is correct, but all three of them do it and I'm not in a hurry to test it on the 2-track machines.

... Odd. So you need to supply a 3-pin cord, to a 2-pin socket? Or does it have the cable wired directly in, in which case it's just a matter of adding a slightly different cable and plug to it... ?

Zedd

How come I got one those bad tape come alive moments when I see those tapes

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2006, 07:14:54 PM
... Odd. So you need to supply a 3-pin cord, to a 2-pin socket? Or does it have the cable wired directly in, in which case it's just a matter of adding a slightly different cable and plug to it... ?

It's a 2-pin mains lead, the earth pin is disconnected since there's nothing to connect it to.  The chassis is (indirectly) grounded to neutral.

But it seems that you must have it connected to a mixing desk or something via the 8 inputs and 8 outputs on the back.  Admittedly, it's not much use unless you do, unless you only want it to look pretty or to rewind tapes on.  If it's just plugged into the mains and nothing else, it will go peculiar and have 120v on the chassis, including the screws which I was replacing when my arm brushed one of the other decks.  At first I wasn't sure if it was a shock or a rough edge until I put the meter across it..

Apparently this is to help prevent ground loops.

Shadrok

Is it just me or does anyone else see a face in the first pic?

Quote from: TheGreyRonin on October 15, 2006, 04:16:02 PM
"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one of them off."

Or ever call one a monkey.

*Shadrok get hit from above by an orangutan*

Did you get the number of that donkey cart?

*Colapses*

Alondro

*smiles from in his genetics lab*  Tapewolf, I may be able to help you live up to the 'wolf' part of your name... *gathers several syringes of glowing ooze*  >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah, I see Shadrok has played Discworld 1... :-)

LionHeart

Quote from: Shadrok on October 15, 2006, 08:57:28 PM
Quote from: TheGreyRonin on October 15, 2006, 04:16:02 PM

Or ever call one a monkey.

*Shadrok get hit from above by an orangutan*

Did you get the number of that donkey cart?

*Colapses*

Spider Robinson - and Terry Pratchett - FTW. :mowcookie
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Vidar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 16, 2006, 04:56:36 AM
Ah, I see Shadrok has played Discworld 1... :-)

Or he has read the novels. The Librarian is mentioned in quite a number of them.

"Ook."
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

llearch n'n'daCorna

... And I can see you haven't, otherwise you'd know all about the "donkey-cart" moment. :-)

(not that that's an issue, mind. :-)