2020-01-29 [DMFA #1967] - Stairway to Plot(?)

Started by FairWage22, January 31, 2020, 02:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FairWage22

Kind of surprised that Dan doesn't know how to fly, what with wings being there and all.

On the Author Note:  Best wishes for continued health, my best results have been maintaining distance from folks and keeping hydrated this season.   One of the best workers at work that hadn't taken a sick day in almost four years went out for a week from a stomach bug about a week or so ago, only just got back.   Be careful, be safe, good luck.

EDIT:  It might not be a spirit per se, so much as an automated klaxxon going off -- or the memory thereof.   The sound reminds me of many, many shipboard drills and calls to General Quarters....
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Wageslave94 on January 31, 2020, 02:56:41 AM
Kind of surprised that Dan doesn't know how to fly, what with wings being there and all.

Most people have legs all their life, that doesn't mean they are good at running, dancing or parkour.

I'd wager that flying involves a fair bit of magic, as most people would be far too heavy to support themselves on wings that size.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 31, 2020, 04:57:36 AM
I'd wager that flying involves a fair bit of magic, as most people would be far too heavy to support themselves on wings that size.

Also, no tail feathers.  Plus, as mentioned in-comic, flying is a risky venture unless you're an expert shapeshifter, or hard enough to drive off a giant gryphon (p.1130).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Carmeops

having wings doesn't mean you can fly, especially in that world:

Shadow_B_Panther

I'm actually surprised he never learned after he jumped of that cliff with Jyrras. He even said he should learn how to use them one day. I guess since there was never much of a need except for slowing his decent like when he went to Kira's house, he decided he had plenty of time.

There's also this http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_263.php if Amber hadn't retconned it.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Shadow_B_Panther on January 31, 2020, 09:11:43 AM
I'm actually surprised he never learned after he jumped of that cliff with Jyrras. He even said he should learn how to use them one day. I guess since there was never much of a need except for slowing his decent like when he went to Kira's house, he decided he had plenty of time.

There's also this http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_263.php if Amber hadn't retconned it.

I'd almost forgotten that weasel who got the Stratogale/Gustav Graves treatment.

InhumanInterest

An extra point I haven't seen mentioned is the overall logistics of air traffic control. Even ignoring more large hazards like gryphons and jet-planes air travel presents much more hazards than simply walking, both to the flyer and to those around them. If you run into someone while jogging there's minimal odds of injury and it's relatively easy to stop. If you run into or crash into someone while flying you have pretty decent odds of death. So it does make sense that Dan wouldn't have learned it especially after he injured himself trying to demonstrate magic. The only time we've seen a normal sized furre flying was Kria and between demonic sturdiness and her general disregard for mayhem I don't think she's a good barometer for what's normal in Furrae*.

P.S.Thank you Carmeops for bringing up one of my absolute favorite DMFA strips.

Eboreg

On the Author Note:  Best wishes for continued health, my best results have been maintaining distance from folks and keeping hydrated this season.   One of the best workers at work that hadn't taken a sick day in almost four years went out for a week from a stomach bug about a week or so ago, only just got back.   Be careful, be safe, good luck.

Given the latest news about the Coronavirus, I'm beginning to get very concerned about anyone getting sick right now.

Best of luck to everyone out there, don't die.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.