2013/07/01 [DMFA #1413] whats a khajiit

Started by Madd the Sane, July 01, 2013, 12:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madd the Sane

Yes, that is purposefully misspelled/misgrammared.

Although not all Khajiit have to be spotted.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Surzsha

Huh. I don't know whether to shake my head at yet another popular-fantasy-rpg-comparison, or to join in on Amber in the 'what the hell' brigade.

Yeah. I think I'm gonna go for the latter. I'm just as perplexed and lost on gaming culture as a... person who... can't keep up with games these days. Yeah.

Icalasari

...That's like saying (sorry for the choice of book), "Why is Arya an Altmer?"

It's... The concept is older than that, person who asked Amber
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 08, 2011, 10:54:19 AM
Warning! This cubi has encountered an unknown error and needs to restart
Do you wish to start in safe mode ? Y/N
Loading last known good configuration.....
Loading WinMows....

Kuzma Volkov

I'm lost and have been trying to ween myself off google.... However Duckduckgo just... sucks for anything relevant.

So what's this game look like that he's evidently gone back in time to cameo in?

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

*Places on a pair of nerd glasses* The Khajiit are a race of Cats from the Elder Scrolls series of games like Morrowind Oblivion and Skyrim, Hailing from the province of Elswyere (I'm not making that up its actually pronounced 'Els where' in the game.) They make excellent thieves with their natural reflexes and ability to see in the dark. That's a partial description from the games i could see how someone could mistake able for  looking like one though till recently i believe they had a more lion-ish appearance. *Removes nerd glasses and blushes*
Ask not for whom the bell tolls, ask why is that guy holding his ears?

Ignuus66

I have to wonder when the idea of cat people popped up (I am guessing some ancient culture had it first, but I'm not sure which)

(credit: Gabi)

Tapewolf

They look completely different in every game and none of them look like Abel.

I did do this for a joke, though:

(Khajiit looked like that when Abel was introduced)

Oh, and there was this too - but I had to tint the wings afterwards.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/games/oblivion/ScreenShot425d2.png

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sofox

Wait, no one's yet mentioned Prequel - Making a Cat Cry: The Adventure? Dammit, stop slacking off people!

Essentially, Prequel is a webcomic set in the world of Oblivion. It stars a Khajiit as the main character and is about her trying to make her way in a whole new world despite the numerous setbacks and handicaps she has. It's a pretty funny and decently drawn comic, and also takes reader suggestions on what to do next, a lá MS Paint Adventures, Problem Sleuth and others of that ilk.

So yeah, um, go read it?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 01, 2013, 05:00:48 AM
I have to wonder when the idea of cat people popped up (I am guessing some ancient culture had it first, but I'm not sure which)

Egyptians? Certainly they revered cats (see: Bastet); I'm not sure if that counts as a "cat people" for your purposes, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Fresnor

Not sure which is worse, the question asked or the fact that Amber has never played The Elder Scrolls games...  Though knowing her propensity for gaming and procrastination we'd probably never see her again if someone bought her the games <.<

kolboldbard

*Pulls out an Elder Scroll*

Truth be told, Able at best resembles a Suthay Khajit.

Imperials scholars have  documented 17 sub-breeds of Khajit. These range from the massive tigers know as the Senche-raht, who can stand up to 15 feet tall at the shoulder, and weight up over 8000 lbs, to the House-cat like Dagi, to the massive Jaguar men of the Cathay-raht, to the Ohmes, who are frequently wood elves.

All breeds are capable of interbreeding, and the breed that they are born as is deterimed by the phase of the the two moons of Nirn at the time of conception.

Fun Khajit facts:
The Khajit name for Mehrunes Dagon, lord of destruction, is Merrunz Ja'Khajiit, which translates roughtly as playful kitten. After all, what is more destructive than a playful kitten?

Raskahn

I'm still waiting for Tape's anti walkthrough for Skyrim. Or his take on a cubi class ;)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on July 01, 2013, 03:19:17 PM
I'm still waiting for Tape's anti walkthrough for Skyrim. Or his take on a cubi class ;)

But they keep changing it!  At this point it's still just a jumble of notes and fragments, a lot of which say "Before they fixed it, you could..."

Raskahn

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 01, 2013, 03:33:12 PM
Quote from: Lone_Wolf on July 01, 2013, 03:19:17 PM

But they keep changing it!  At this point it's still just a jumble of notes and fragments, a lot of which say "Before they fixed it, you could..."

Presenting: The anti anti walkthrough. telling you what used to be possible!

Xan

Abel looks like a Khajiit? I.. don't see it.

As for the idea of cat people in time question.
Yeah, the Ancient Egyptians pretty much worshiped cats as gods, so much so that killing a cat, even if it was accidental, was punishable by death. The cat goddess Bestet and lion goddess Sekhmet were the most well known feline deities in Egyptian mythology. Ra the chief deity was sometimes depicted as cat or a lion.
The Chinese revered tigers because they basically believed that tigers or their image would ward off the evils of the world.
Ancient Mesoamerican civilizations revered Jaguars for a number of reasons.

Hmmmm, probably the closes thing to cat-people you could get is the werecat in folklore.

Ummm... Tapewolf, I hope you don't mind reducing my ignorance on what an anti-walkthrough is. I admit it is the first I had ever heard that term being used.

ishidan

Quote from: Madd the Sane on July 01, 2013, 12:29:24 AM
Yes, that is purposefully misspelled/misgrammared.

Although not all Khajiit have to be spotted.

A khajit...I used to know what a khajit is...
/RIGHT

Tapewolf

Quote from: Xan on July 05, 2013, 03:26:33 PM
Ummm... Tapewolf, I hope you don't mind reducing my ignorance on what an anti-walkthrough is. I admit it is the first I had ever heard that term being used.

I forget who invented it.  It's something I've used a lot to describe what I do.  A walkthrough shows you how to complete a game.  An anti-walkthrough shows you how NOT to complete the game, although following it should result in a completed game, preferably by exploiting as many loopholes and bugs as possible.

Xan

I see. Thanks for the explanation Tapewolf.

I think the closest thing to an anti-walkthrough I've watched would probably be Jesse Cox's playthrough of Skyrim, its less a playthrough and more of Jesse getting easily distracted by foxes and ineptly plays Skyrim. Which is funny and entertaining in its own way.