Racism in Furrae

Started by Eboreg, February 03, 2013, 07:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eboreg

This question has been bugging me for a while now. On comic 651, Dan realizes that his hatred for Creatures is actually racism and acts as if it's a bad thing. I'm not saying it isn't but the fact that he treats it that way indicates that at some point during the history of Furrae, there was an oppressed people or several who mounted an effective civil rights movement. My best guess is that this came from intra-Being relations since Being-Creature relations still seem very fraught with racism and no one seems to notice it as such. My question is, what exactly was the civil rights movement that happened in Furrae's past.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

KV1NN4

...I... don't... think that's the only way you can have Racism (or rather, I mean, you don't need a civil rights movement for the term to exist or for it to be realised as a bad thing)... Seeing as Racial discrimination and negative stereotyping have been around for thousands of years... whether the term existed during those times, I can't answer... usually rebellion was how this situations were sorted out...Over... and Over... and Over again.

Obviously Amber's the only one who can give the canon answer to your question... and I realise it was intended for her. I just felt like adding to the discussion I guess. : U

Maybe there has been more PR going on between races recently in Furrae... who knows?

~K. *: )

Zebra Bug

I agree with KV1NN4. When I read that page, it never, ever, occurred to me that there was some sort of civil movement. Racism, Sexism, Ageism. Words. Just words that means being against something, perhaps without cause. At least, I didn't read any deeper into Dan's epiphany.  :mowtongue But who knows, you may be on to something. And there have been wars in the past, and there certainly is....tension between Creatures and Beings. If any group had a civil movement though, I'd bet on it being the Beings, not any of the Creature races.

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria