That's, Like, Ten Limbs!

Started by Nino, January 30, 2013, 02:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nino

Some extreme DMFA fanart. Yeah, X-TREME, like the 90's! No, more like 'extreme' as in extremely time-consuming. This took two or three years to do, I can't even remember, I think I started during August of 2009? Oh well. Was I the only one who saw her design and had to make with the art on that? Yes? No? Yes? Thought so. Oh well.

I'd like to think only the craziest of crazy fans would spend three years on fanart of a theoretical character that only appeared in one panel of one page of one supplemental information arc. I mean, don't get me wrong! I know there are others. This is the INTERNET. But come on, at least this puts me in, like, I don't know, the top 10% bracket of DMFA fans. Okay okay, 20. Fine. I mean, I also created my own OC cubi, that's gotta count for something.

I just think it's so awesome how subtly different her patterning was in comparison to Matilda, something I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't studied her design in order to get it right for this. For instance, it's really easy to notice the folds on the hood and Cyra's green eyes, but did you know that Matilda has the darker blue above her eyes, while ten limbs here has light blue? The hands are also different - Matilda doesn't have the light blue underpads. I couldn't even believe it when I noticed that. I'm almost certainly getting an out-of-frame part of her design wrong, haha.

Check out the full-sized post/picture on my Deviantart account, which also includes some other miscellaneous DMFA fanart floating around on it that I'll probably get around to posting here eventually as well.

Oh hey, by the way, the date on that Hybrid genetics page is 1008! I've used it as a reference for this character for awhile now and only noticed today since I wanted to figure out when she actually uploaded the design. I also had to look up Matilda's last name today, which is Ti'Fiona "Krissriss". Go figure!

Paladin Sheppard

Nino this is freaking AWESOME!

My only complaint is the lack of scarf :P Though I think I can still forgive that :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm astounded that you've kept going on it this long, and not givenup and destroyed the working copy in fury at how bad you thought it looked.

And the result is flabbergastingly good. ;-]

I had a look, but I can't see the palms of Ma~'s hands - although I'm at work, so can't look exhaustively - in any of the strips from 637 - 645; I'll have to sit down at home and page through them all, and see if I can't spot her hands anywhere for comparison purposes. ;-] I'm amazed by the effort you've gone to on this, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ChaosMageX

If you count the tail, the it becomes ELEVEN!  11 LIMBS!!  :giggle :boogie

But seriously, this is freaking amazing Nino and I want to see more of your art.  Do you have a Fur Affinity account as well?

Icon by Sunblink

Merlin

Oh my! That is utterly gorgeous, you've done a great job! I particularly love the colouring job you've done!

Quote from: Nino on January 30, 2013, 02:44:06 AMOh well. Was I the only one who saw her design and had to make with the art on that? Yes? No? Yes? Thought so. Oh well.

Haha... weird coincidence, just yesterday I was thinking what a lovely design she had and that if I could scrounge together any spare time then I'd like to draw her sometime P:

Nino

Wow, thank you so much you guys for the wonderful responses/compliments! I'm really happy people like it. I honestly wasn't sure after all this time if everyone would just be all "meh, it's okay."

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on January 30, 2013, 11:03:29 AM
My only complaint is the lack of scarf :P Though I think I can still forgive that :3

Haha, first time someone complained about the LACK of clothes in fanart? xD Yeah I know I know, but it's just a garment so I figured it didn't have to be like her TRADEMARK garment or anything. Also yeah I was lazy. But also Matilda doesn't wear clothes usually and neither did that male in 'questions from the readers' so I guess that's also generally how I see the species?

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 30, 2013, 12:20:38 PM
I'm astounded that you've kept going on it this long, and not givenup and destroyed the working copy in fury at how bad you thought it looked.

I had a look, but I can't see the palms of Ma~'s hands - although I'm at work, so can't look exhaustively - in any of the strips from 637 - 645; I'll have to sit down at home and page through them all, and see if I can't spot her hands anywhere for comparison purposes. ;-] I'm amazed by the effort you've gone to on this, though.

I just checked the cast page :p But there is also a decent more recent example here.

Oh yeah, and I've never destroyed an artwork as far as I can remember if I've been working on it for long enough, but I've definitely had my fair share of abandoned projects because they're not coming out the way I want them to. There have definitely been long periods of time where I have just not been inspired to work on this because I pulled it up and just see flaws - that's part of the reason it took me so long. I needed those breaks of months in between to reacquaint myself to why I liked it :p

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 30, 2013, 03:09:52 PM
If you count the tail, the it becomes ELEVEN!  11 LIMBS!!  :giggle :boogie

But seriously, this is freaking amazing Nino and I want to see more of your art.  Do you have a Fur Affinity account as well?

But a tail is an appendage unless it's prehensile (for grasping)! Which it's almost certainly not! (BUT the wings would count for this because they're 'Cubi wings!) Just kidding, I know I know, it could definitely be considered 11.

My FA is Olivehue but I haven't uploaded anything yet. I am planning on uploading this though soon. You can see more of my art on my DA, but a lot of it in the past has been pixel art (I'm moving towards a more even mix though of pixel vs. other types), so there's nothing much of this quality or even type on there.

Quote from: Merlin on January 30, 2013, 04:19:09 PM
Haha... weird coincidence, just yesterday I was thinking what a lovely design she had and that if I could scrounge together any spare time then I'd like to draw her sometime P:

I knew I couldn't be the only one! You should definitely do this. There can't be too much fanart of this character. I can not state this enough.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Nino on January 31, 2013, 02:51:46 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 30, 2013, 12:20:38 PM

I just checked the cast page :p But there is also a decent more recent example here.

I see what you mean, but... I still don't think we can really see her palms. Perhaps there's a smaller patch on them, we can't tell.

...But that's just me being picky. ;-]

bradypodidae

Your love of the character and dedication to your art is MOST obvious. Well done!
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Amber Williams

You can see how slow I am to respond to anything!

But heeehee! I love it! I particularly like how you caught all the little details that I had put in initially.  Here I thought I was being all sneaky-faced. :U

Very awesome. *hoards image like a dragon*

Nino

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 31, 2013, 06:34:49 AM

I see what you mean, but... I still don't think we can really see her palms. Perhaps there's a smaller patch on them, we can't tell.

Bah! WAIT.

BAM!!!!! (Bam #2 #3)

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on January 31, 2013, 10:18:24 AM
Your love of the character and dedication to your art is MOST obvious. Well done!

<3 I'm so glad it shows through, that's such a nice thing to say!

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 01, 2013, 09:15:47 AM
You can see how slow I am to respond to anything!

But heeehee! I love it! I particularly like how you caught all the little details that I had put in initially.  Here I thought I was being all sneaky-faced. :U

Very awesome. *hoards image like a dragon*

:D! AI'm so glad you saw this! I wasn't even sure if you checked the art pages of the forums here. I really wanted you to see it but I just felt like emailing you and being all "hurr hurr I drew your character :E" would make me sound like a total creeper! I would have probably ended up posting a link on your FA page when I uploaded it there though.

And you were totally being sneaky-faced >=(! I had to really study both her picture and some of the art of Matilda to catch some of those details! I was all, "Wait, something's different here! What's GOIN' on!!?"

I'm glad you like this though! Your character designs are so awesome, I wish I could finish art like, 50x faster than I do, because then I would be doing so much DMFA fanart all the time :D

[edit] woops, I guess I forgot to iron out some of the shading on the right wing. That's what happens when you're in the middle of something and then don't come back to it for four months. Fixed.

Ignuus66

The image is unavailable.. stupid photobucket.   :B
Must be great judging from the comments though, can you reupload it if possible?

(credit: Gabi)

Nino

Quote from: Ignuus66 on February 02, 2013, 08:45:54 PM
Must be great judging from the comments though, can you reupload it if possible?

Woops, that was my bad when I uploaded the version with the shading fixed. Should be okay now.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Nino on February 03, 2013, 01:04:08 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on February 02, 2013, 08:45:54 PM

Woops, that was my bad when I uploaded the version with the shading fixed. Should be okay now.
Alright, it's up now, and it really is awesome  :)

(credit: Gabi)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Nino on February 02, 2013, 02:26:54 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 31, 2013, 06:34:49 AM

Bah! WAIT.

BAM!!!!! (Bam #2 #3)

I meant picky with me, not you, but your time spent finding references is appreciated. Particularly since I lacked the time to go find them myself.

Something to do with spending lots of time in minecraft or something... ;-]

Nino

Quote from: Ignuus66 on February 03, 2013, 09:12:40 AM
Alright, it's up now, and it really is awesome  :)

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 04, 2013, 09:24:15 AM
I meant picky with me, not you, but your time spent finding references is appreciated. Particularly since I lacked the time to go find them myself.

Something to do with spending lots of time in minecraft or something... ;-]

Haha I actually was just going to leave it be but I remembered as I was typing the reply that the furaffinity art might show her palms... so I didn't have to waste much time digging through stuff :p