2013/01/25 [DMFA #1372] - Sherlock Biggs.

Started by VAE, January 24, 2013, 10:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 26, 2013, 09:27:15 AM
Well, I know that Tapewolf believes they can turn translucent/transparent, based on what Cubi can be seen doing here, here, and here, so I know it's at least canon in the Project Future universe.  However, it might or might not be canon in the DMFA universe, depending on the process they used to do it.  As usual, there might just be a spell for that.

Yeah, that's just a cloaking spell, not shapeshifting.  If you can teleport and transmute matter by magical means, I think that tunnelling a portion of photons around yourself should be simple enough (remember Kria's late stealth agent).  Devin was almost certainly a dream manipulation by Destania, though.

'Cubi shapeshifting is fairly limited in what it can do outside of making you resemble someone or something else or cosmetic changes.  Amber has said that it won't stretch to fire, though that doesn't rule out fire spells and element resistance.  At the end of the day, making them think they're seeing a phoenix when they aren't by some kind of mental power is a distinct possibility.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 26, 2013, 10:40:51 AM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 26, 2013, 09:27:15 AM
Well, I know that Tapewolf believes they can turn translucent/transparent, based on what Cubi can be seen doing here, here, and here, so I know it's at least canon in the Project Future universe.  However, it might or might not be canon in the DMFA universe, depending on the process they used to do it.  As usual, there might just be a spell for that.

Yeah, that's just a cloaking spell, not shapeshifting.  If you can teleport and transmute matter by magical means, I think that tunnelling a portion of photons around yourself should be simple enough (remember Kria's late stealth agent).  Devin was almost certainly a dream manipulation by Destania, though.

'Cubi shapeshifting is fairly limited in what it can do outside of making you resemble someone or something else or cosmetic changes.  Amber has said that it won't stretch to fire, though that doesn't rule out fire spells and element resistance.  At the end of the day, making them think they're seeing a phoenix when they aren't by some kind of mental power is a distinct possibility.

Though with how they saw through Dan's disguise as his sister, that makes me wonder if they would see through such a disguise as a phoenix?

Though being another magical race in Furrae, their magical nature might mask that evidence. I guess it depends how BOB's ability to single out types of magic are.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Pvblivs

Okay, despite being wrong before, I don't think Destania is responsible for Merlitz's disappearance.  If she was, then she had to have feigned surprise on hearing that Abel left SAIA.  Remember, Merlitz was gone before Alexi was kidnapped.  It's possible.  But, barring something like that, the BOB originally went there without her involvement.

MT Hazard

Quote from: joshofspam on January 26, 2013, 12:30:42 PM

Though with how they saw through Dan's disguise as his sister, that makes me wonder if they would see through such a disguise as a phoenix?

Though being another magical race in Furrae, their magical nature might mask that evidence. I guess it depends how BOB's ability to single out types of magic are.

In that case it was because Dan had a spell cast on him by Abel, this, unlike, 'natural' shape shifting would probably have a distinct magical 'signature'. They didn't detect it when Abel had changed to look like Merlitz.

relevant comic link
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Pvblivs on January 26, 2013, 05:38:33 PM
Okay, despite being wrong before, I don't think Destania is responsible for Merlitz's disappearance.  If she was, then she had to have feigned surprise on hearing that Abel left SAIA.  Remember, Merlitz was gone before Alexi was kidnapped.  It's possible.  But, barring something like that, the BOB originally went there without her involvement.

Yes, but Merlitz had simply taken up adventuring again at that point, not vanished completely.  We don't know how much time passed between him taking up adventuring again and then possibly "dying".  An interesting point is that it was enough time to have joined up with Aliyka (and have a conversation with her and go diving off a cliff), but not enough time to have properly reported his return to adventuring to the guild, unless he was just really lazy about doing the paperwork involved in that, which wouldn't surprise me. :P 
After all, there might be a lot of paperwork involved in adventuring, such as in this case.

Icon by Sunblink

Azal

Been reading this for a while, but wanted to post for once on the worry for Biggs

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1256.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1257.php

Now, we know Destania is a good fighter on what Alexsi said but... (word of warning, this is where assumptions are going to have to begin)
Twink territories seems to actually be a powerful group. If that's the case, in the world full of demons, non-fluffy angels, monsters, etc. If a being like Biggs is going to remain in charge, he's got to be the meanest dog on top, and we've seen what a... less ambitious ferret is like... that people are relatively terrified of her.

Now, Destania is vicious, mean... but she's also Cubi, which looks mean and nasty because the comic follows them... but we've heard of Kria, who seems relatively tame for demons and she's the kind who can drop cities, and being adventurers try (and some succeed) at taking them down.

All these are big ifs, but if Biggs, who keeps making himself look like a complete and utter joke can command an organized crime that's in a relatively easy to locate place, I think it's more a question that Destania is smart enough not to straight up throw down with him.

Prroul

Eh, Biggs is more like a mafia godfather... sure, he's individually dangerous, but it's his group that is the real threat. The very direct approach ought to be the easier one, to be honest.

And as for Des... well, let's put it this way. She can take down Alexi. Alexi can take down Dan. Dan HAS put down things like, say, DP... multiple times. So yea, definitely stronger than your aaaverage 'cubi. Then add in her position as the best teacher of pain and torture that SAIA ever had, and things don't look so well for Biggs.

joshofspam

Quote from: Prroul on January 26, 2013, 07:56:01 PM
Eh, Biggs is more like a mafia godfather... sure, he's individually dangerous, but it's his group that is the real threat. The very direct approach ought to be the easier one, to be honest.

And as for Des... well, let's put it this way. She can take down Alexi. Alexi can take down Dan. Dan HAS put down things like, say, DP... multiple times. So yea, definitely stronger than your aaaverage 'cubi. Then add in her position as the best teacher of pain and torture that SAIA ever had, and things don't look so well for Biggs.

Though you can't throw out Biggs chances just like that.

Their families supposedly have history. Long history if their discussion after Alexsi left was any clue. I wouldn't be surprised if Wildy and Biggs took a few lessons from Destania.

Destania hands on. Alexsi hands on. Wildy hands on. It looks entirely possible that Alexsi and Wildy might have been given a few tips from her.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 25, 2013, 09:34:07 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on January 25, 2013, 09:20:09 AM
the list of places dee cant/wont go is quite short, but i really must wonder if seeing granny is under the cant list or wont list... its under the category of places a group could go so is it possible theres a family spat or is she in lockdown somewhere?

I would guess Cyra's probably hiding in a dimensional bubble like SAIA.

I'm thinking he means that Destania is forcibly or unwillingly out of contact with Cyra, considering how easily Dan was able to reach her from the Inn (not to mention that the 'something' that is blocking the oracles's sight doesn't seem to be affecting Cyra herself).
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Zebra Bug

Well, Des used (borrowed?) Crya's power to hide Aniz. She (or Crya) is probably the one hiding Lost Lake from the Oracle's sight...and likely Merlitz as well, for whatever reason.

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Les

Just because it had to be said.. Antelope-Dee looks simply Stunning over-flowing that bodice as she does.   :mowwink
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Les on January 27, 2013, 04:38:37 AM
Just because it had to be said.. Antelope-Dee looks simply Stunning over-flowing that bodice as she does.   :mowwink

It's good to know I'm not the only one who finds Destania's antelope form incredibly hot.  I really hope that Amber draws her full form and uploads it to Fur Affinity. ;)

Icon by Sunblink

Zebra Bug

Just because it had to be said.. Antelope-Dee looks simply Stunning over-flowing that bodice as she does.   :mowwink

Well, I truly think that went without saying! Because.....yosh.  :mowtongue

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Joe3210

Quote from: Zebra Bug on January 27, 2013, 01:27:15 PM

Creeps.  The whole lot of y'all are just plain creepy.

:erk
"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

lawl

Zebra Bug

Quote from: Joe3210 on January 27, 2013, 05:25:28 PM
Quote from: Zebra Bug on January 27, 2013, 01:27:15 PM

Creeps.  The whole lot of y'all are just plain creepy.

:erk

Not a furry dear? I am.  :mowwink Heheh. But that's alright. We don't judge.

Mao

I don't think it has anything to do with being a furry.  I think it has more to do with you saying that you felt that *needed* to be said.

Les

Quote from: Mao on January 27, 2013, 06:51:01 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with being a furry.  I think it has more to do with you saying that you felt that *needed* to be said.

Well of course it needed to be said.  Dee looks fantastic, Amber did an amazing job, or do you have some type of aversion to voicing compliments?   :mowtongue

Mao

Yeah, I don't have a problem with paying a compliment to Mab, except you weren't really.  You were more focused on Dee, and I quote:

over-flowing that bodice as she does.   :mowwink

Hence:  creeps.

Zebra Bug

Quote from: Mao on January 27, 2013, 07:29:19 PM
Yeah, I don't have a problem with paying a compliment to Mab, except you weren't really.  You were more focused on Dee, and I quote:

over-flowing that bodice as she does.   :mowwink

Hence:  creeps.

*looks at your signature*...Ok, sure. Whatever you say.

YawnPB

I'm thinking he means that Destania is forcibly or unwillingly out of contact with Cyra, considering how easily Dan was able to reach her from the Inn (not to mention that the 'something' that is blocking the oracles's sight doesn't seem to be affecting Cyra herself).
[/quote]

I forget the comic but it was mentioned (by Cyra to Dan) that Destania had "lost the ability to dream".  So Cyra can't reach out to her, and Destania won't talk to her on her own it seems.

SAIA entry is only by Falina's permission, not sure if exiting it is the same.  So Destania could end up stuck there if she went till Falina let her go.  The best option would likely be to rescue her husband, and bring him to SAIA.  Then with Falina preventing any death, he could talk some sense into Destania (with a cold hose ala Abel vs Pyroduck if necessary).

While trying to find the Cyra discussion I did find this one though comic 1222.  Does this mean that Edward could become a Cubi if he wanted to after rescue?
Lurkus Wallflowerus

Mao

Quote from: Zebra Bug on January 27, 2013, 07:39:27 PM
*looks at your signature*...Ok, sure. Whatever you say.
Yup.  I like female characters as much as the next guy, particularly the evil and/or scary ones.  What you don't see me doing is going around talking about my love of their outfits or overflowing bodices in a not-so-subtle fashion on a pg-13 board.  ;)

Show some tact, folks.

Les

You think I'm over the line and that I'm being a creeper.

That's your opinion.

I think you're over the line and that you've got a stick wedged way too far up [REDACTED].

That's my opinion.

The best option here is probably just to agree to disagree.   :mowcookie

((before I drop it though, Amber herself has said she lacks confidence in her ability to draw such.. 'ampleness'.  I just wanted it to be known that in my opinion she did an excellent job in this instance, though I suppose getting into the subtle details of how this was a successful attempt would just be 'creepy'.))

Amber Williams

I'm gonna have to step in and say that anymore opinions in this line should probably be taken to IM peeps.  That said, doing a "Lets drop this...right after I voice my opinion one more time." post is kind of a cheapshot since part of the whole dropping things shouldn't have to come with a "as long as I get the last word in."  So I'm going to have to take away 10 points from Gryffendor over here. 

Also, I should mention Mao only stepped in after someone else voiced their feelings on the matter and Mao was likely just elaborating on it.   Mao acts as a mod for a reason, so if people really feel his stance is disagreeable, I would recommend folks messaging one of the other mods/admins and have them read the thread to see if another opinion is warrented.  Well...maybe not Darkmoon. He's a jerk.  And will probably laugh at you regardless of opinions voiced.

In regards to cleavage. I've gotten mixed reviews. I've had a few people actually lecture me recently about Dee's current look and that it looks awkward so it really is a case of you win some, you lose some.  But that's how it goes I find.

So to summarize:  Be excellent to eachother.

Zebra Bug

Did Cyra ever say explicitly that she could not see what was going on? I am of the opinion that Des is using Cyra's power (or Cyra is doing it her own self) to protect Lost Lake....

And in regards to Amber's post, I hear and obey, oh Overlord.  :mowmeep

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Les on January 27, 2013, 08:00:14 PM
You think I'm over the line and that I'm being a creeper.

That's your opinion.

I think you're over the line and that you've got a stick wedged way too far up [REDACTED].

That's my opinion.

Just one problem with that. Mao is a mod. You're not.

Hence, he says "you're going too far", it's a darn good time to shut the heck up and say "sorry, boss."

Edit: See also Rule I, Section A.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Les

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 27, 2013, 08:19:35 PM
I'm gonna have to step in and say that anymore opinions in this line should probably be taken to IM peeps.  That said, doing a "Lets drop this...right after I voice my opinion one more time." post is kind of a cheapshot since part of the whole dropping things shouldn't have to come with a "as long as I get the last word in." 

That wasn't my intention, I just wanted to add a little clarification... but yeah, that was a bit passive-aggressive of me.  I apologize.

Amber Williams

It's cool.  Goodness knows I've done similar before.   :U

That's the downside to being in a discussion versus looking in on one.  Those little nuances like to sneak in.  :cry