10/01/2011 [DMFA# 1186] - Drinking WAY too much

Started by Captain, January 10, 2011, 05:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hariman

Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Starcat5

That... or the bottle in question was not wine. Just because he went to get wine does not mean that wine is ALL he brought back up.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Attic Rat

Jy's comment was perfectly reasonable. 100 proof is 50% alcohol by volume. It's called "proof" because below about 40-50%, you can't light it with a match. If a merchant wanted to prove he hadn't watered his product, all he had to do was to put a match to a sample. See a clean blue flame? Proof.

'Course, anyone trying to swallow 100 proof will notice what it does to throat and stomach tissues. If they try to swallow pure "200 proof" anhydrous  grain alcohol they'll likely be dead before they have a chance to get intoxicated. The stuff Abel drank was "Over 100 proof." Throwing up is a very good idea.

Get the cubi a glass of water. Best thing right at the moment, as soon as he can swallow again.

I did a little study on the subject, back when I was brewing beer at home for a hobby.

Why are some very strong wines very sweet? Because the alcohol content killed the yeast before they could metabolize all of the sugar. There are some yeast varieties that can tolerate over 20% alcohol, but most start dying at about half that. That's why unfortified wine seldom has over about 13%.

There's a whole science and art in brewing and wine making, but generally speaking: The stronger it is, the worse it tastes.

Now for the important part: What did Abel say about Devin before the booze caught up with him?

Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

MT Hazard

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Naldru

Wildy was also shown playing a video game in strip 292, and she was wearing a top.  Not much of a back though.  Of course, there would be some disadvantages to playing Dance Dance Revolution topless.

Anhydrous alcohol, also known as absolute alcohol, is often poisonous but that is because of chemicals such as benzene that are added to remove the last bit of water.  You can get alcohol up to about 190 proof with ordinary distillation.  You can easily get drunk on it before consuming a fatal amount.  Drinking too much of any alcoholic beverage (such as the so called chug-a-lug parties where people will drink an entire bottle of whiskey to prove their manhood or stupidity or both) can be fatal.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: That_wolf on January 11, 2011, 09:19:45 PM
I'm learning SO much from this thread, heheh.

We endeavour to be educational. It's a pleasant surprise to see someone actually listening...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Hariman

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 12, 2011, 10:46:43 AM
Quote from: That_wolf on January 11, 2011, 09:19:45 PM
I'm learning SO much from this thread, heheh.

We endeavour to be educational. It's a pleasant surprise to see someone actually listening...

That_wolf isn't the only one. It wasn't until I read this thread that I learned that Brandy is distilled wine. Or that Whiskey is distilled beer.

Quote from: Naldru on January 12, 2011, 10:11:37 AM
Wildy was also shown playing a video game in strip 292, and she was wearing a top.  Not much of a back though.  Of course, there would be some disadvantages to playing Dance Dance Revolution topless.

Like the attracted crowd of oglers and the inevitable police presence due to public indecency? Or the time wasted as Wildy hunts down everyone with the temerity to use a camera while she's topless?
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Jyrras GiannaThat bottle was over a hundred proof!
Which Jyyras purchased from Austin Nichols' emporium of fine wine and spirits.
Mr. Nichols is, of course, a wild turkey.   :]

With regards,
Ted

Modification:
Quote from: Naldru on January 14, 2011, 03:48:57 PM
I assume that you are referring to Wild Turkey whiskey, which is made by Austin, Nichols & Company.  The reference might not be obvious to people outside the United States.
It's owned by Gruppo Campari, so they probably do know about Wild Turkey bourbon.
http://www.camparigroup.com/en/index.jsp

Naldru

I assume that you are referring to Wild Turkey whiskey, which is made by Austin, Nichols & Company.  The reference might not be obvious to people outside the United States.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Hariman on January 13, 2011, 12:21:35 AM
Quote from: Naldru on January 12, 2011, 10:11:37 AM
Wildy was also shown playing a video game in strip 292, and she was wearing a top.  Not much of a back though.  Of course, there would be some disadvantages to playing Dance Dance Revolution topless.

Like the attracted crowd of oglers and the inevitable police presence due to public indecency? Or the time wasted as Wildy hunts down everyone with the temerity to use a camera while she's topless?

Alternatively, she could be hunting them down for taking pictures of her while she was *not* topless.
This is after all Wildy we're talking about, she needs no excuse to hunt you down.
And if she wants an excuse, she'll make one up.

:D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.