Finding music

Started by Darkdragon, March 01, 2010, 02:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkdragon

I really don't like asking for help, but I suppose it's inevitable. I've been asked to prepare music which people would like related to the theme of this party our dorm floor is going to hold before spring break. I'm at a loss as to exactly what is "music people would like" nor do I have any inkling about songs related to the theme, which is lycanthropy. If any clarification is needed, I will answer them to the best of my ability, and thank you for your time.

((PS - Mods: If this is not the right subforum, please move it to the appropriate one. Thank you.))

Tapewolf

Have you considered searching youtube for "wolf music" or "lycanthropy music" or something like that?  See if you can find any titles that are interesting and palatable.  You're liable to find a lot of death metal, though.

I presume you're intending to buy the tracks off itunes or something, as if you end up with a playlist spread across many albums it's liable to get a bit expensive.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

LionHeart

If you're looking for songs related to lycanthropy, I would think Werewolves of London would be an obvious choice...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Omega

How about the soundtrack from WOLFMAN movie? Available in here.

Darkdragon

To be honest, I'm more worried about "music people like". Personally, I like classical, but I've been informed most people won't prefer it.

I'll look at the suggestions after I get back. Thanks for the ones given so far.

Omega

Alright so I don't know what people might consider as "werewolf music", especially if you want to find that sort of music for a party.

Something moon themed, maybe?

Sonata Artica has few good songs that you might wanna check out:
Full moon, Wolg & Raven

Above The Winter Moonlight by Dragonforce

Gray Sublime Archon by Eluveitie (check out some of the other works from this band as well. It's a bit celtic, so it just might be a bit wolf-ish.

Sampo by Amoprhis (This band sings about old Finnish folklore called 'Kalevala'. Check out other songs as well.)

superluser

Quote from: Omega on March 01, 2010, 01:19:13 PMSampo by Amoprhis (This band sings about old Finnish folklore called 'Kalevala'. Check out other songs as well.)

No!  Not Sampo!

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Lysander

The Bane Of Daninsky, The Werewolf by Dark Moor is an excellent song. The band itself plays mostly Symphonic Metal and has no screaming or coarse sounding vocals. As for classical that would match the theme, I don't know... I have much classical/new age/jazz I could suggest if that would be of any use.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Fibre

Not sure how much of a "party song" it is, but I would highly suggest checking out Blitzen Trapper's "Furr" from their outstanding album of the same name, which I think would fit in with the theme quite well. A number of Tapewolf's songs have related themes as well and are very much worth checking out.

Depending on how loose with the theme you want to be (I would think variety would be good), there are tons of other animal-related songs... I could dig through my library and list some sometime if you want, I suppose.

Darkdragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 01, 2010, 04:50:58 AM
I presume you're intending to buy the tracks off itunes or something, as if you end up with a playlist spread across many albums it's liable to get a bit expensive.
I think the plan is just finding high quality playings of the songs online (on Youtube, probably) and playing that. I'm not in charge of finance so I wouldn't know the specifics.

Quote from: Omega on March 01, 2010, 01:19:13 PM
Alright so I don't know what people might consider as "werewolf music", especially if you want to find that sort of music for a party.

Something moon themed, maybe?
I presumed if it's something something related to the idea of lycanthropy, it'd be good enough. It's not like I got hard guidelines on what is "werewolf music" and not. Like I mentioned, I'm having more trouble with finding the music which more people would like and that would be appropriate to a party. (And I want to strangle the people who comes up with these themes - I think they make hard themes just to see those who have to arrange it struggle)

I've checked the songs listed so far (and will spend some time later going through the discographies of bands listed) and think most of them would be usable. As Tape mentioned, most of the werewolf themed songs are metal or rock; it would be helpful if other genres of music could be explored for werewolf themed music for the segment of the population who dislikes rock or metal. Thanks again.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Darkdragon on March 02, 2010, 02:16:44 AM
I think the plan is just finding high quality playings of the songs online (on Youtube, probably) and playing that. I'm not in charge of finance so I wouldn't know the specifics.

Yeah, well the key thing is not to steal it, otherwise we might have to lock the thread  :3

QuoteI've checked the songs listed so far (and will spend some time later going through the discographies of bands listed) and think most of them would be usable. As Tape mentioned, most of the werewolf themed songs are metal or rock; it would be helpful if other genres of music could be explored for werewolf themed music for the segment of the population who dislikes rock or metal. Thanks again.

If you can find it, the soundtrack from Company of Wolves by George Fenton has some pretty good moments.
Also, stretching it slightly, "The War-song of the Wolves of Caylen-Tor" by Bal Sagoth, but I don't know if that's quite the sort of thing you want.
I'm tempted to suggest a few others by Bal-Sagoth as well but again, it's mostly symphonic metal.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Darkmoon

I was gonna suggest just hitting a free music place and finding good ambient music that can set a mood without needing lyrics. I would think, actually, if you hit a place like Overclocked Remixes and just look for something to fit the mood, you could download (for free), burn a few CDs or load an iPod, and you'd be good to go.

OCR is a great site, and even if it's technically "game" mixes, there's a lot of good artists on there that elevate the source material.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Omega

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on March 02, 2010, 09:21:59 AM
I was gonna suggest just hitting a free music place and finding good ambient music that can set a mood without needing lyrics. I would think, actually, if you hit a place like Overclocked Remixes and just look for something to fit the mood, you could download (for free), burn a few CDs or load an iPod, and you'd be good to go.

OCR is a great site, and even if it's technically "game" mixes, there's a lot of good artists on there that elevate the source material.

OCR is a good site, but it can be very chaotic and messy if you're in a hurry. There are lots and lots of medicore and crappy songs floating around and trying to find your pick can be very furstraiting

...with outout a guide that is.

Check out artists such as "Sir Nuts", "Ae", "Disco Dan", "Darkesword" and "Rayza".

If you have time, OCR does have a forum of it's own. I'm sure people there have will and knowledge to help you out in your problem.

Darkmoon

(nods) Those are all good artists. I'd add that "Goat" is another good one. He has some pretty good CV remixes.

I would also look, on OCR, at the albums and compilations they have there. Those are (generally) of a consistently higher quality than the one-off songs submitted by the various artists.

Darkdragon

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on March 02, 2010, 09:21:59 AM
I was gonna suggest just hitting a free music place and finding good ambient music that can set a mood without needing lyrics.

That would be a good idea for the music during the events where people wouldn't appreciate being distracted by obnoxious lyrics. I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned the option.

*makes note to clear out Friday afternoon to gloss over available songs*

Alondro

The snow is melting at last!  And it'll be in the 50's (F, not C) this weekend!  Spring is nearly here!    :boogie
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Darkmoon

Alondro... how is that relevant to the thread?

Anker Steadfast

Maybe he has outdoor concerts and festivals on his mind ? :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Darkmoon

Possibly. I just want to make sure the thread isn't being "hijacked".

Sunblink

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on March 06, 2010, 06:13:51 PM
Possibly. I just want to make sure the thread isn't being "hijacked".

I actually think he meant to post in the Doom Snow thread.

Or what Anker said. :c

Darkdragon

I would like to thank everyone who made a suggestion; the party was great.

Thanks again!

superluser

Quote from: Darkdragon on March 08, 2010, 12:06:50 AMI would like to thank everyone who made a suggestion; the party was great.

Thanks again!

What did you wind up playing?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Darkmoon

Korn "Music on Three Armpits"

Darkdragon

Quote from: superluser on March 08, 2010, 12:21:21 AM
Quote from: Darkdragon on March 08, 2010, 12:06:50 AMI would like to thank everyone who made a suggestion; the party was great.

Thanks again!

What did you wind up playing?
I don't remember the instrumentals used (I'm very bad with those, and I can't check because I left them on somebody else's computer), but I used almost all of the Wolfman soundtrack and quite a few from OCR.

The songs with lyrics are listed below with no real order, with about two or three instrumental tracks between each song:

• Werewolves of London
  • Full Moon (Sonata Arctica)
  • Above the Winter Moonlight (Dragonforce)
  • Away From the Sun (Wolf's Rain Soundtrack)
  • Curse of the Werewolf (Timeless Miracle)
  • Grey Sublime Archon (Eluvietie)
  • Bane Of Daninsky, The Werewolf (Dark Moor)
  • Omnos (Eluvietie)
  • 人狼狂詩曲 (Rhapsody of the Wolf-men, by a Japanese Artist)

The whole thing, with the instrumentals, played for about four hours, after which we simply restarted from the beginning and nobody really noticed because by then the alcohol was readily flowing.