10/17/09 [DMFA #1051] - Fatherly Flashback Advice

Started by Lorien, October 17, 2009, 04:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on October 18, 2009, 12:37:57 AM
Are you sure you want Dan of all people to be focused?
He is a much safer individual with a short attention span and getting his mental train derailed at the drop of a hat.
A focused Dan would be able to do things beyond what our scatterbrained Dan can.

Dan like this seems liable to get himself killed.  Besides which I have little patience for fools, I'm sorry to say...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Quote from: Sofox on October 17, 2009, 06:21:21 PMSorry, but I think we'll have to agree that Dan's mind will remain in permanent beta.

Honestly, I doubt this will happen. Dan's been shown to be capable of being really serious - and besides, having a character remain the same way for the purpose of a gag throughout the whole story is just really bad storytelling. Character development, people.

Seth

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 18, 2009, 09:15:13 AM
Quote from: Sofox on October 17, 2009, 06:21:21 PMSorry, but I think we'll have to agree that Dan's mind will remain in permanent beta.

... having a character remain the same way for the purpose of a gag throughout the whole story is just really bad storytelling. Character development, people.

And yet, Amber would get away with it. She's gotten away with a lot of things in this comic that SHOULD have made it fail... Amber is the god of Irony and luck... and muffins...
If you know what I did... Then kudos to you.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Seth on October 18, 2009, 02:28:05 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 18, 2009, 09:15:13 AM

... having a character remain the same way for the purpose of a gag throughout the whole story is just really bad storytelling. Character development, people.

And yet, Amber would get away with it. She's gotten away with a lot of things in this comic that SHOULD have made it fail... Amber is the god of Irony and luck... and muffins...

Amber makes it work because she is a good storyteller.  That's even more important than the artwork,  as is apparent in the early episodes, back when Ambers's was still green.

There are a number of webcomics out there that work because of good storytelling, even though the art is nothing to write home about, or even crude.   DMFA stated out there, but Amber's art has outgrown that long ago.