Heads up: Wii Update 4.2 is bricking consoles.

Started by Saist, September 29, 2009, 09:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saist

As a heads up to all Wii Owners. Nintendo issued a new update, Version 4.2, and well... it's not a good update. Several of my games that were working, won't read anymore, and a quick look at the Tech Support forums on Nintendo's site show that other people using the update are having their systems fault over as well : http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board?board.id=wii_tech

So, if you've got a Wii, you probably don't want the latest update.

Turnsky

Quote from: Saist on September 29, 2009, 09:10:24 PM
As a heads up to all Wii Owners. Nintendo issued a new update, Version 4.2, and well... it's not a good update. Several of my games that were working, won't read anymore, and a quick look at the Tech Support forums on Nintendo's site show that other people using the update are having their systems fault over as well : http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board?board.id=wii_tech

So, if you've got a Wii, you probably don't want the latest update.

a cat already bricked mine..

damn shoddy build quality.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Noone

Wow...

I'm not really sure what Nintendo is trying to do with this though. My Cynical side thinks that they're trying to 'brick' consoles so that customers will have to pay to have them replaced, though I find that hard to imagine. Considering how many problems the wii-mote has had... I'm not certain
Though, I think it's a more realistic possibility that this was a rushed update that wasn't tested or given sufficient development time. Why any company would do that is beyond me, short of their management not listening at all to their developers. While that is a realistic possibility, it's certainly not a healthy one.

Tapewolf

Quote from: The1Kobra on October 01, 2009, 06:35:44 AM
Though, I think it's a more realistic possibility that this was a rushed update that wasn't tested or given sufficient development time. Why any company would do that is beyond me, short of their management not listening at all to their developers. While that is a realistic possibility, it's certainly not a healthy one.

I would not be surprised if they have changed the internals of the machine during the production run to cut costs, or as parts are obsoleted.  It may be that they didn't test it on all the hardware variants.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dekari

Actually if you read deep enough you will find that most, if not all, the systems that were bricked had soft mods.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Arroyo Milori

So far my wii has not bricked, though I am sad that the home brew channel won't work on it anymore. Though people usually tend to find ways around somehow...

techmaster-glitch

...I am not really familiar or completely sure of what's going on here, but from what little I can tell...

You'd think Mircrosoft would be the ones to frig up an update that kills consoles, not Nintendo :/ I am very surprised.

Kenji

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 01, 2009, 09:37:14 PM
...I am not really familiar or completely sure of what's going on here, but from what little I can tell...

You'd think Mircrosoft would be the ones to frig up an update that kills consoles, not Nintendo :/ I am very surprised.

Funny part is the new Playstation Home update seems to be freezing PS3s that try to load Home.

Saist

Quote from: Dekari on October 01, 2009, 10:14:44 AM
Actually if you read deep enough you will find that most, if not all, the systems that were bricked had soft mods.

mine has never been modded, which pretty much eliminates the idea that all the malfunctioning systems were modded. On the converse side though, the errors I'm experiencing are a bit different than the errors reported by those who modded their consoles. I haven't had a complete feature freeze out or brick. I just can't load a wide-variety of titles from the disc slot.

There is the additional problem, in my particular case, that ever since I left Super Smash Brothers Brawl in the disc slot on the way up to an Anthrocon, my Wii hasn't exactly been performing.. normally. It always seemed to take longer to read games and transfer data than before... so there's a possibility the 4.2 update triggered another pre-existing problem.

silentassassin

Well unless the update makes it explode from dissuse mine is probably good.  :3