Even PETA protests video games now

Started by Netrogo, May 18, 2009, 02:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netrogo

Found this while spelunking news stories

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/peta-protests-ringling-bros-game/1313963

Because it's not nearly enough protesting everything in real life, they feel the need to branch out and protest a video game. Sure it's a game based on a circus they've been harassing for years but c'mon!
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Kenji

If PETA protests it, then it must be something good.
Play more video games, in my opinion.

Netrogo

Y'know I think your right. The idea of some random circus based game didn't do it for me. But now...

Teh_Hobo

PETA's been doing this for a while now. I remember seeing them protest cooking mama a while back, along with something else. I think PETA's been a bit batshit for a while now.
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

TheDXM

Come to think of it, 'Sea Kittens' might make a nice title for a DS game.

Amber Williams

At this stage of things, the group is doing the Jack Thompson approach of no publicity is bad publicity. As long as they can get some attention or keep their name being posted, then that means more people who know of them and can feed their need for attention.

Deep down they know they likely cannot single-handedly topple the thing they are fighting, but if they can at least keep people talking about em, then that is a good second prize.

Lisky

but i don't think we'll see a "Flowers for PETA fund" anytime soon...  (for those who don't get the reference, here's some things on Flowers for Jack Thompson)

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Netrogo

How about a "Steaks for PETA" fund instead. I bet a few of them could use some red meat in their diets :mwaha

Ryudo Lee

Meat is murder!  Tasty, tasty murder.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Mao

Eggplant tastes like eggplant, but meat tastes like murder and murder tastes damn good.

Netrogo

My meals aren't nearly satisfying enough until I know that something innocent has suffered for my appeasement.

Teh_Hobo

This comic summarizes my feelings on the matter pretty well.
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

Corgatha Taldorthar

You know, I just re-read Stranger in a Strange Land, by Heinlin. It makes me wonder what PETA thinks about cannibalism......
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Jairus

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on May 18, 2009, 04:41:08 PM
Meat is murder!  Tasty, tasty murder.
Remember, it's People Eating Tasty Animals.

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 18, 2009, 03:56:42 PM
At this stage of things, the group is doing the Jack Thompson approach of no publicity is bad publicity. As long as they can get some attention or keep their name being posted, then that means more people who know of them and can feed their need for attention.

Deep down they know they likely cannot single-handedly topple the thing they are fighting, but if they can at least keep people talking about em, then that is a good second prize.
I have to agree with you. The alternative idea is that these people really are that nuts, which is really disturbing. Heck, maybe it's both? And as for second prize... I'll take the consolation prize and leave. Being considered totally freaking nuts by most sane people and being disowned by your former allies is not exactly something I'd want.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 18, 2009, 09:21:08 PM
You know, I just re-read Stranger in a Strange Land, by Heinlin. It makes me wonder what PETA thinks about cannibalism......
Either that it's good because it's getting rid of more of those evil disgusting humans, or it's bad because it's meat and meat is murder.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Kasarn

PETA is protesting a game based on an circus that has an alleged history of abusing its animals? HOW DARE THEY!

Turnsky

Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 18, 2009, 07:41:10 PM
Eggplant tastes like eggplant, but meat tastes like murder and murder tastes damn good.

how to torment the PETA: Host a huge barbecue upwind from 'em.. nothing quite like the smell of caramelizing onions, fried sausages, burgers, and bacon wafting through the air to make folks uncomfortable.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

bradypodidae

Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Kafzeil

Well, considering a lot of environmentalist and animal rights groups actually hate PETA, due to the lit e fact that the moment you come up with a valid argument to regulate fishing the guy with the bigger budget tries to rename fish Sea Kittens with a straight face, you realize they're shooting themselves in the foot.

PETA is the Greenpeace of Animal Rights groups.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Turnsky

all this talk has made me hunger for my mother's rolled steak.

make stuffing using breadcrumbs, water & mixed herbs..
Roll some tenderized, lean steak (small cuts work great)  around it, wrap that with bacon (good, meaty bacon works wonders, trust me), hold together with toothpicks.
fry until cooked completely.
in the same pan sautee some mushrooms, just gently enough to really make them soft and luscious.

serve with pepper gravy, and whatever sides you please, chips work wonders.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Teroniss

Normally I wouldn't say this, but I actually have to agree with PETA on this one. I have always been a stark objector to Circus's, Rodeos and Animal Racing alike, on the grounds that most of those establishments have very loose policies regarding the fair and humane treatment of their stage animals.

While a video game is simply a virtual simulator of the environments, it still encourages the idea of those environments which I personally protest against, and view it as giving publicity to those who don't deserve the limelight.

AngelSephy

Quote from: Teh_Hobo on May 18, 2009, 03:49:52 PM
PETA's been doing this for a while now. I remember seeing them protest cooking mama a while back, along with something else. I think PETA's been a bit batshit for a while now.

*laughs* PETA has ALWAYS been batshit insane! They even had a protest going on World of Warcraft a few weeks back on one of the servers. I'm just sorry I was out and missed the protest. I would have been there clubbing baby seals right in front of them! XD

Keleth

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 18, 2009, 03:56:42 PM

Didn't PETA have a history of bombing McDonald's a couple of years ago in the US?

I seem to remember there was an article on PETA teaching kids how to make bombs as well.

Also not a fan of some of their leaders.

QuoteWe feel that animals have the same rights as retarded children." -Alex Pacheco, Director, PeTA

Or their methods
QuoteDr. Patrick Proctor of the Ahoskie Animal Hospital (AAH) said Cook and Hinkle promised to give the animals to a good home. He said he occasionally would call PETA to find homes for animals. He guessed that over the previous two years he turned over 50 animals for adoption to PETA. "They came to the office last Wednesday and picked up the cat and two kittens," he told the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald shortly after their arrest. "So imagine my surprise when I learned they allegedly dumped dead animals in a trash bin later that same day." Barry Anderson, an animal control officer from neighboring Bertie County, confirmed to Dr. Proctor that a cat and two kittens were found among 13 dead animals in the van. "This cat and two kittens I gave them last week were in good health and were very adoptable, especially the kittens," said Dr. Proctor, who was called in by police to examine one of the dead animals. "The animal that I found was a very healthy six-month puppy that had been killed that day," he told TV station WNCT Channel 9. "PETA will never pick up another animal from my practice," he said.

These quotes, and info were taken from here http://cei.org/gencon/019,05093.cfm Except the McDonald's tidbit, one of my friends told me that, but I haven't found out where it's sourced yet. So don't take that one litterally.
Help! I'm gay!

Brownie

Ugh...PETA.
Worst. Organisation. EVER.
:plzdie
:bigsword