Teen faces prosecution for calling scientology a cult

Started by Dakata, May 22, 2008, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

Quote from: Alondro on June 08, 2008, 02:40:36 PM
Hey Scientology!  YOU'RE A CULT!!!

*Charles starts a riot!*

>:3

well cults are a minority, and we must bend over backwards to kiss the rear of minorities regardless of how poorly they treat everyone else
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AngelSephy

I'll go to any protest held near me when it comes to going against Scientology. That poor kid.
:curseyou

I just love how Scientology has leaked it's oily tentacles into the London police and wrapped tightly around them... 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: AngelSephy on June 08, 2008, 08:15:37 PM
I just love how Scientology has leaked it's oily tentacles into the London police and wrapped tightly around them... 

It has? That's interesting. What leads you to that particular accusation?

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 09, 2008, 03:27:19 AM

Ah who cares.  I choose to believe it because Scientology is involved!  We MUST make people believe that it has control over government and the police so everyone will hate it and it can be crushed!   *and that is how Charles plans to gain leadership of his new imperial regime*   The Xenu Party.   :mwaha 

*Zina takes a shot*  Poor kitty's gonna have liver failure at this rate.   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

AngelSephy

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 09, 2008, 03:27:19 AM

It seems it has since the police are telling the kid that calling Scientology a cult, is offensive. It also wouldn't be surprising since Scientology was created in order to make money. And I know that there are people in every type of community role who would easily be swayed to a certain way of thinking if a promise of monetary reimbursement is offered.

Although I wasn't making an accusation, more so an observation. Sorry if it came off as such.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah. General observation, rather than specific identifiable act. Right.

The interest was because, well, of what I saw, the police were grinning smugly to themselves, and, as these things go, fairly happy with the way the "riot" was played out - the protesters were polite, friendly, stayed out of the way of passers-by, didn't make _too_ much noise, and responded well to police requests, on the whole.

And they had cake. How many protesters turn up with cake, and offer some to the police as well? ;-]

I can't speak for the upper ranks of the police (although evidence would suggest that Scientology interference there is minimal) but the people actually on the street seemed to be even-handed, especially in the face of direct requests from the Scientologists.

This is specifically in the UK, mind. I can't speak for the police presence elsewhere.

As for this specific act: I suspect, given the video evidence, that having a poster saying "honk if you think Scientology is a cult" is a request, so they can't do anything about it. Having a poster stating "Scientology is a cult" is a statement, and hence different; and it wouldn't surprise me if the Scientologists had a lawyer make a request of the cops, citing specific laws; since the beat police aren't lawyers, they aren't going to know all the gaping holes in the legal request, they're just going to comply with it.

Which is a shame, but I'm not criticising the guys on the sharp end; more the information they've been supplied.